back to article Ofcom punts network-sniffing Android app

Telecoms regulator Ofcom has written a network tracking Android app so the great British public can help it sniff out not-spots. The app runs in the background gathering anonymous data on network performance, voice call success, mobile data performance and app usage. It downloads a small amount of data every 15 minutes, less …

1. wikkity

Several early users object to the collection of data relating to the apps they use.

So why download an app whose it's main purpose is to gather data?

1. Paul Kinsler

Re: So why download an app whose it's main purpose is to gather data?

Just because they are ok with the collection with one sort of data (signal strength/ network performance or whatever) does not mean they are necessarily happy with the collection of other data - e.g. their use of games or social media apps.

That said, I've no idea what the data collection was or is in this case - just making a distinction which may be helpful here.

1. JetSetJim

Re: So why download an app whose it's main purpose is to gather data?

Link to app

In fairness, the apps description clearly states what data it collects. As to why - I suspect so they can say more than "a data connection was good here" and instead say "a data session that consumed xMbits of data on a streaming bearer was good here".

Users possibly downloaded it to see their network's status in their area, and were then annoyed by the popup that says "it needs permission for x,y,z and a,b,c", and were then disappointed by the lack of map.

Seriously, how many times does the wheel need reinventing - there are a plethora of apps that do this already, in a variety of different ways. It would be easier for Ofcom to mandate "operators must achieve a specified coverage, quality and capacity across Z% of the country", with suitable definitions for coverage (minimum received power), quality (minimum received signal quality) and capacity (maximum number of call blocks/drops, or some such) and then require the operator prove it to within a certain geographic resolution based on actual traffic data (and not the somewhat flexible radio propagation modelling).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what's the app called? Searching for Ofcom turns up nothing.

3. MarkDelaney

Play store link and Ofcom announcement

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.p3group.insight.ofcomresearch

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2016/Calling-all-android-users/?utm_source=updates&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Ofcom-launches-research-app&utm_term=Research%2C%20Ofcom%20Mobile%20Research%20app%2C%20Mobile%20coverage%2C%20Consumers%2C%20App%2C%20P3%20

4. Natalie Gritpants

It's called "Ofcom Mobile Research"

1. Mage Silver badge
      Unhappy

Off load to public

To avoid having any responsibility to actually see if Mobile operators meet the already too weak licence conditions.

If this was complementary, it would be good, but I fear it will be the only verification if enough users use it.

Self selected respondents result in misleading surveys. Will the demographic of those installing it be suitably geographically spread?

5. flipside101

Why not partner with OpenSignal

Its seme sthat partnering with someone with an existing install base and data set would have been more prudent ?

6. John Lilburne

Waste of bloody time ...

... the utility companies are rolling out smart metres which don't work in not-spot. Why don't ofcom just ask them where it is that the bloody things don't work? Much easier and quicker and no wifi snoopage required.

1. Titus Aduxass
      Happy

Re: Waste of bloody time ...

"the utility companies are rolling out smart metres which don't work in not-spot."

Once we're out of the EU can we go back to using smart yards?

7. Planty Bronze badge
    Stop

How much are they offering to pay me

for me to do their job?

8. aidanstevens
    Mushroom

Are they joking?

How will this be of any decent accuracy without totally caning battery power?

On my road there are a couple of small blackspots. Unless the GPS is constantly activated the app won't detect them.

1. JetSetJim
      Holmes

Re: Are they joking?

From my tests, if you can see a couple of wifi APs the Google location resolution is down to around 20m accuracy - without firing up the GPS chip at all.

9. long-in-tooth

What, no signal?

I'm just calling to say I have no signal. Hello? Hello?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like