back to article Senator! calls! for! SEC! probe! to! be! inserted! into! Yahoo!

A US Senator is calling on the Securities and Exchange Commission to join the queue to administer a kicking to Yahoo!. Yahoo! has admitted hackers accessed about 500 million of its email accounts. The announcement came last week, but the actual hack happened back in 2014. Democrat Senator Mark Warner, who sits on the Senate’ …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About time

I hope they get done in this time after all the data slurps Ms. Mayer instigated. (remember her Google DNA credentials). ITs highly unlikely she DID NOT KNOW about this.

It will also serve as a reminder to others to up their game. For far too long, the big'uns have played fast and loose with our data/personal details. (eg. Talktalk, hacked 3 times last year, yet the bosses get their bonuses).

2. Milton

Circling the drain

I wholeheartedly agree that this ought to be a kick in the ass for everyone to "up their game", as Anon says. Unfortunately I still don't see much sign of this, and I'm sure it was here on The Reg that I saw an article just a few days ago pointing out that the economics of getting breached, for a large organisation, can work against decent security investment. At the time I muttered about "externalised costs", making the point that if organisations had to bear the full misery of a breach, instead of brushing it off onto their customers or their banks or the taxpayers, they'd be better motivated.

That said, I'll offer a cliche: This ain't rocket science! I mean, it really is not. There is not a world shortage of techs who know about business processes and policies and the technology needed to ensure that web-accessible systems have key data encrypted. How can there still be people on the planet who are not properly hashing password databases, for instance?

It won't save Yahoo: Mayer has seen to that with years of crass misjudgements, lousy strategy, an absurd shopping spree and, I'm sorry to say, no little arrogance. The company is circling the drain - indeed, I confess it's been doing so for so long that I'm personally impatient with it: it's like the last twenty minutes of a creature movie - why won't the thing just die?

But generally it would save a lot of dollars and heartache if senior managers got their brains out of their bonuses for a moment and invested in effective encryption where it matters. It needs good people and good work, but it's just not that difficult.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Greedy Bosses

She definitely knew about it, but due to the immminent sale, kept mum and she was holding out for her $58 million redundancy payment.

Even a novice investor can see through this game the big bosses play.

Should have been sold for 40 billion when MIcrosoft came calling.

4. Vehlin

Can! We! Please! Give! The! Exclamation! Marks! A! Rest!

They've been trotted out for every Yahoo story for years now. Can we just take them out the back and put them out of their misery now.

1. Efros

Re: Can! We! Please! Give! The! Exclamation! Marks! A! Rest!

They're! Going! To! Miss! Them! When! Yahoo! Finally! Go! Bust!

2. Captain DaFt

Re: Can! We! Please! Give! The! Exclamation! Marks! A! Rest!

No!, we! like! them!

Note!: "!", not "!"

5. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"a class action lawsuit from aggrieved lawyers, customers in California."

The customers may be aggrieved, the lawyers less so.

6. MrTuK
    Mushroom

Whats all the fuss about !

Now wouldn't it be funny if it was the NSA that hacked Yahoo !

Anyway people these days don't seem to worry about privacy issues as they always shout well what have you got to hide !

Well it seems some people might have something to hide after all, but I doubt they will be prosecuted !

I wonder if MS is starting to get worried these with all the personal data it holds, including emails and Win 10 telemetry !

Ah, I forgot, its already accepted practice for MS to give complete access to NSA etc to their data - Oops I thought it was general knowledge - What do you mean its not ?

You mean its not general knowledge or its not accepted practice - NO COMMENT !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like