back to article Bloodhound supersonic car backed by Chinese taxi biz Geely

One of China’s largest car makers, the Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, is now the main sponsor for Blighty’s attempt on the land speed record: the 1,000mph Bloodhound. Geely is better known in the UK as the owner of Volvo and the London Taxi Company. The value of the three year deal has not been confirmed but the companies …

1. lglethal Silver badge
    Joke

Goal: Overtaking

I would hope Overtaking was a standard feature in a car manufacturer rather than just a goal for the future...

1. Vinyl-Junkie
      Joke

Re: Goal: Overtaking

Actually I thought the opposite - the last thing we want is something overtaking Bloodhound!

2. macjules
      Unhappy

Re: Goal: Overtaking

Great news for the London Taxi Company though. Now I can at least say that, "If your employer can get a car running at 1,000mph you could at least try and get from Fulham to The City in less than a bloody hour mate"

2. Dr Who

Excellent news. Of cours the investors have all been duped. The car will never reach 1000mph. As it hits 888mph (we have moved on you know) the flux capacitor will kick in and the whole thing will disappear leaving but a trail of flames.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"As it hits 888mph (we have moved on you know) the flux capacitor will kick in and the whole thing will disappear leaving but a trail of flames."

Will it reappear on the other side of the mountain range? (Yes, I know. Different movie, but it does start with a speed record attempt)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sad day

I'm pleased for the project but isn't it depressing that our own home grown businesses won't support anything British? (What is not BAe told their staff not to get involved in Noble's original project.)

There's money to spare for supporting political parties and billions to be squirrelled away in tax avoidance schemes, but nothing to be found for anything remotely patriotic.

1. TitterYeNot
      Facepalm

Re: Sad day

Yes it is a little sad (though good that the project can now continue again.)

The main reason I reached into my pocket to help a little with this (other than it being a car with a jet engine and a frikkin' rocket!) was the emphasis on encouraging school kids around the country to get into STEM subjects, which should help us remain competitive as a country in high tech industry (we know the days of low tech cheap manufacturing are long gone from these shores, so we'll need these skills in the future.) The alternative is becoming a nation of banks and advertising agencies. Makes me shudder to think of it.

And now the car will be used to promote STEM subjects in China instead. Own goal I think.

<Sighs>

4. inmypjs Silver badge

"our mutual technology breakthrough"

What technology is a world land speed record attempting rocket going to share with taxis?

Bloodhound got money, Geely got advertising - end of story.

5. Your alien overlord - fear me

So China is keen to get their kids knowledgeable about STEM but what about democracy, freedom of speech and so on?

6. Paul Woodhouse

comfortable pear?... damn, there's a reason you should at least put tone marks on the pinyin when your writing Chinese names..

1. Stoneshop
      Headmaster

BtAF reference 247

put tone marks on the pinyin when your writing Chinese names..

And you should put apostrophes in your sentences when you're writing contractions..

7. montyburns56

The Knowledge

Sorry mate, I don't go south of Bonneville at this time of night.

8. Crazy Operations Guy

Shouldn't that be 1610 km/h?

I thought only Americans were stupid enough to use antiquated units of measure like "mile"...

Maybe we can get the US (and the Brits who still use the 'Standard' measurement system to join the rest of the technologically advanced countries by pointing out that 12.7 cm sounds a lot more impressive than 5 inches.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon