back to article London-based Yahoo! hacker gets 11 years for SQLi mischief

A 23-year-old man has been sentenced to two years in prison for his part in a cyber attack on Yahoo! in 2012. Nazariy Markuta, of Harlesden, London, was a member of the D33Ds Company network, which nicked over 450,000 customer email addresses and passwords from Yahoo! after an investigation by the UK's National Crime Agency ( …

1. Your alien overlord - fear me

Only 2 years in the clink? Crime does pay nowadays it seems.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes wonder if I can get parking tickets charged concurrently..... Get 10 in one day and only pay for one of them.

If he's guilty of multiple crimes then he shouldn't be allowed to serve the punishment for all of them at the same time. The incentive is then why do one crime when you can do 10 and if you're caught you'll get the same punishment as if you'd only done the one.

1. P. Lee

>wonder if I can get parking tickets charged concurrently

Nope.

Tickets are revenue, prison is a cost.

Besides, we are keeping the outrageously long prison sentences for those who embarrass the government, not a has-been email provider.

Like those who leak MP's expense details.

2. CraPo

His LinkedIn account lists his industry as...

Computer & Network Security :-)

3. Mad Chaz

''These acts cause financial and reputational damage to businesses and rob their clients of the security they expect and deserve online.­''

Damage that is deserved if they didn't take basic security measures to ensure the security they expect and deserve online.

1. Roo
      Windows

"Damage that is deserved if they didn't take basic security measures to ensure the security they expect and deserve online."

I don't think anyone deserves that kind of misappropriation of data - mainly because it hurts the customers / chattel as well. I look at it as being inevitable, and the chain of command should be hung out to dry for failing to oversee proper security measures as appropriate.

FWIW I didn't downvote you because your point of view has merit in abstract terms. Have a beer & relax, it's Friday. :)

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

The network security you can afford

I don't think anyone deserves that kind of misappropriation of data - mainly because it hurts the customers / chattel as well.

Perhaps "invites" would be a more appropriate term. Leave your car running on a dark street in a high crime area* and you might not "deserve" to have it stolen, but you are asking for it to happen.

* An apt analogy for the internet, I believe.

2. Frumious Bandersnatch
      Joke

"reputational damage"

First off, I hate this "reputational damage" malarkey. What's wrong with the good old-fashioned "damage to their reputation"?

Secondly, without saying "they deserved it" for having such a basic (sqli is basic) vulnerability, the fact that this vuln was so obviously latent, just waiting for someone to come up and turn the key, as it were, should the full cost/blame fall only on the first guy to "immanentise the escutcheon"?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"It is not believed to be related to Yahoo!'s half-a-billion account breach from the same year."

Another one? The recently reported breach was said to have been 2014, ac couple of years later and time, you'd think, to realise that they might, just possibly, need to do something about security.

1. VinceH

Multiple breaches, with lessons not learned after the first?

See also: TalkTalk.

See also: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/23/if_your_company_has_terrible_it_security_that_could_be_a_rational_business_decision/ (which I already know you've read because we replied to one another in the comments).

1. streaky

Business model only lasts as long as the class actions aren't awarded punitive damages. Feels like this [2014] Yahoo case could be an exception that could become a trend.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Given that Yahoo outsource email for BT & Sky (any others) I wonder if they may be in breach of contract. If so there could be large damages involved. Maybe even big enough to get management attention.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Given that Yahoo outsource email for BT & Sky

I am not sure this is still the case. I think BT moved to something else at some point. Not sure - never used it.

By the way - this and other ISP hosted services should have been the Yahoo goose laying golden eggs, however Yahoo never ever invested in it. They were let to fester and putrefy instead.

One of the most retarded Purple palace business decisions of all time.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Given that Yahoo outsource email for BT & Sky

I am not sure this is still the case. I think BT moved to something else at some point. Not sure - never used it."

Other posts suggest that BT only moved some of the accounts elsewhere.

5. frank ly

The wheels of justice turn slowly

Cyber attack in 2012. Arrested in March 2015. Sentenced in Sept 2016.

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: The wheels of justice turn slowly

"Cyber attack in 2012. Arrested in March 2015. Sentenced in Sept 2016."

Coincidently that fits in with the timeframe of the massive breach Yahoo! attributed to a "State" actor. Funny that. :P

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: The wheels of justice turn slowly

The other one was in 2014. They sat on it for two years.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    FAIL

SQL injection

That's the sound of Yahoo failing again.

7. Rusty 1
    WTF?

But yet...

the peeps in charge of security get a "well done" for spotting this casual event, and everyone ignores the stable door flapping in the wind, with just a bit of tired, broken, string that used to hold it closed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But yet...

Cossacks, Mandrake. State-sponsored cossacks, riding.

8. MJI Silver badge

Would have had less for

Kicking someone in the head

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09/23/copyright_troll_weeps_20week_jail_sentence/

9. spot

Only 2 years in the clink?

Only one. The two is a maximum, the half is the norm.

The sentence is cheaper than getting a degree and it guarantees a high-paid infosec job on release, I don't see how it's supposed to deter anyone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like