back to article Rosetta probe's final death dive planned for just after last call next Friday night

The European Space Agency (ESA) has held an hour-long hangout to explain what's likely to happen when its Rosetta spacecraft touches down on Comet 67p. On Sunday, after a final manoeuvre, the spacecraft will start a 14-hour descent. Operations manager Sylvain Lodiot says the agency expects Rosetta to land somewhere inside a …

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

Looking forward to the final results

and will raise a glass to the engineers and scientists involved. We do live in interesting times (and not always in a bad way)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Looking forward to the final results

But, err, we may not live to see the true final results of an alien civilization arriving in honking big spaceships looking for the creators of The R'etta.

2. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Exciting times

Praise be to the gods of Physics that can work out how to do this stuff.

I've managed to organise a whistle-stop lecture by Dr Matt Taylor later in October ... don't tell anyone but <silly child-like excitement mode /on>! :-)

1. A K Stiles
      Joke

Re: Exciting times

Good stuff - have you informed him of any dress code?

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

Re: Exciting times

He can wear what he likes!

3. Tom 7

That pesky speed of light problem

What's wrong with the ESA - almost everywhere I've worked the managers would have insisted we did something about that and got some faster light.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: That pesky speed of light problem

We tried, but the beancounters exercised their veto "because faster-than-light light is too expensive".

2. phuzz Silver badge
      Boffin

Re: That pesky speed of light problem

That's why some hedge funds use microwave relays rather than fibre. The speed of light through air is faster than in glass.

4. AbelSoul
    Pint

Spectacular end...

... to a fantastic mission.

I saw Matt Taylor give a talk on Rosetta at the Blue Dot festival.

Truly inspiring work by a truly inspiring human being (and, of course, the rest of the team).

Cyber pints all round.

5. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Pint

"So long and thanks for all the science"

Somehow, I think Douglas would understand and approve such a misquote.

6. Chris Evans

I don't understand!

AIUI Rosetta has been orbiting the comet and isn't in a Geostationary[1] orbit so given that the surface is extremely rugged won't it end in up crashing into a mountain side?

[1]I'm not sure geostationary is really the correct term as the 'Geo' bit is of course referring to the earth.

7. sitta_europea Silver badge

What did I miss?

... the agency expects Rosetta to land somewhere inside a 600 x 400 metre footprint target zone, to be refined on September 30 (European time) ...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Farewell brave scout ...

you served us well

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like