back to article Ofcom smacks Sky for breaching broadband switching rules

Communications regulator Ofcom has ruled that there are "reasonable grounds" to suspect Sky breached rules to allow consumers to easily switch broadband and landline providers, which could lead to a multi-million pound fine. It follows a year-long investigation by the regulator as to whether Sky contravened the rules on …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Deserve the fine........

..........provided the establishment doesnt step in to save the walnut faced's skin and dont fall victim to the Murdoch machinations.

Rascals all.

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

Always wondered

if I could use Sky's Switch Squad to move from say BT to Talktalk or do I have to move to Sky?

3. choleric

Last paragraph

appears to be missing some quotation marks, at least I presume so as it seems to come directly from Sky themselves ("compared to our peers").

4. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

O really?

I take especial note of the words "could be".

5. TheProf
    Facepalm

A quote for the new Sky advert

'Least worst of a poor bunch.'

1. Huw D

Re: A quote for the new Sky advert

Or "Sky: The best tasting shit sandwich"

6. inmypjs Silver badge

Ofcom are a joke

Bitching about ISPs and switching rules while the only real problem is BT Wholesale/Openreach with a monopoly which lets them provide the same old crap to all ISPs.

They only have to worry a bit about competition from Virgin media.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ofcom are a joke

They only have to worry a bit about competition from Virgin media.

Don't forget that VM are lining up alongside BT to campaign against the split-out of Openreach, so they are more allies than competitors. And the reason for that is that VM's cable network passes 30% of UK homes, and if Openreach are unbundled, VM reason that there's a real risk of their network having to offer local loop unbundling.

Having seen my Virginmedia bill almost double over the past eighteen months, I'm deeply unimpressed but wholly unsurprised with the consequences of the Cable Cowboy's takeover. 150 Mbps sounds good, but doesn't feel any different from 50 Mbps, and when I've spoken to them VM staff are clearly trained not to compete with Openreach based offerings.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"And the reason for that is that VM's cable network passes 30% of UK homes, and if Openreach are unbundled, VM reason that there's a real risk of their network having to offer local loop unbundling."

I think the problem for Virgin is that if OR were split and given some kind of USO with a regulated pricing model, Virgin go bust; as do fibrecity, gigaclear and all the independent operators.

Virgin can exist because they operate in high-density areas at the lower end of the network cost spectrum. OR's coverage is wider and so has a higher average cost and the city folk subsidise the country folk. If OR's wholesale price drops below the network cost of the other guys through regulation, the other guys are finished as network operators.

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"if Openreach are unbundled, VM reason that there's a real risk of their network having to offer local loop unbundling."

VM haven't been sucking on the public funding tit to have an obligation to unbundle foisted on them.

More to the point, an unbundled OR will see VM as a customer and start selling them cheaper access to the other 70% of the country. It's much cheaper to shove a duct down existing groundworks than to have to dig your own.

An unbundled OR _can't_ compete for endusers - wholsale-only and "no entity is allowed to have a controlling interest" is the key - see NZ and "chorus" for what's happened in the last 5 years.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

An unbundled OR _can't_ compete for endusers.

Yes it can.

Openreach can still cherry pick its customers, roll out "up to" Ultrafast Technology to a select few, that is biased in favour of BT Group's Copper Carcass/those with shorter cable lengths <250m (already receiving near 80Mbps), with absolutely no plans (OK, maybe a meagre 2%) for Ultrafast for anyone with lines greater than 500m. Period.

It's certainly not rollout irrespective of where the customer is.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"BT Wholesale/Openreach with a monopoly "

"They only have to worry a bit about competition from Virgin media."

So, erm, not a monopoly?

You're rather ignoring the mobile companies, as well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"So, erm, not a monopoly? You're rather ignoring the mobile companies, as well"

You have some "ofcom balls" to write that when BT own EE.

7. kbb

"...breached rules..."

"...contravened the rules..." So what did they actually do? The article doesn't actually say what they did wrong.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "...breached rules..."

Companies are not allowed to entice an existing customer with cheaper deals once that customer has signed up to a new CP during the cooling off period. I assume the Sky Sales team pestered migrating customers with retention deals/offers.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

Sky received the fewest complaints compared to our peers

Strange how the big guys never compare their complaint levels to the little guys, who have them beaten - pants down.

Title quote shortened, cause the system doesnt like it.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Sky received the fewest complaints compared to our peers

I thought the biggest complaint about Sky was that they made it very difficult to actually talk/complain to them...

1. Wilseus

Re: Sky received the fewest complaints compared to our peers

"I thought the biggest complaint about Sky was that they made it very difficult to actually talk/complain to them..."

So people keep telling me. However I've been with them for a number of years for TV, and until very recently phone and broadband. In all that time their customer service has been nothing short of excellent, not that I've had too much to complain to them about because I have had virtually no problems with any of their services.

I can't help thinking that because people don't like the Murdoch empire, they just make any old shit up to make them look bad.

9. Terry 6 Silver badge

A UK thing

The line in the article about TalkTalk and the comment about Sky making it difficult to talk to them/complain points to a bigger issue. Maybe the people I've talked to in the USA and parts of Europe have just been lucky. But it does seem as if UK companies are very reluctant to hear about, let alone sort out, problems.

Typically an attempt to complain starts with not being able to find a phone number. Instead there will be a web page with "Contact us" on it. Which will not lead to contact details, or if you are lucky will (only) have a post address. More often than not this page will lead to a list of FAQs - all of which will offer anodyne solutions to blindingly obvious issues. Underneath these there might be a link which says "Did this answer your question?"

If you hit the "no" button it will take you back to the "Contact us" page.

Should you then choose to write a letter of complaint you might get a sane response. But you might also get a standard boiler plate letter that answers an entirely different question. Or no answer at all.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: A UK thing

But it does seem as if UK companies are very reluctant to hear about, let alone sort out, problems.

Recently had to deal with EE PAYG. You can't talk to a real person at EE unless you have 'credit' because such calls are chargeable, but chargeable outside of a bundle. So having grabbed a new SIM spent the topup on a month's free call and data bundle, I find myself unable to talk to any one at EE customer services unless I purchase another topup and leave it in the account ie. not convert it to a bundle...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: A UK thing

Have always been and always will be able to dial 150 from any EE phone whether it PAYG or Contract. (I, myself am on PAYG) and never had any problems, credit or not.

10. NeilPost Silver badge

Break up Sky

Break up the Sky TV/PayTV/Temocoms/Broadband behemoth.

Say seperate the Sky TV platform from the content providers... akin to Sky's whining about BT and Openreach Sky are a prime provocatur along with whiter than white Talk Talk and Vodafone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like