back to article Jakarta be kidding me! Google gets $400m tax bill from Indonesia

Google is facing a bill for hundreds of millions of dollars in unpaid taxes. An official in Indonesia wants to collect around $400m in fees from the Mountain View ads giant. Muhammad Hanif of the tax office special cases branch said authorities have visited Google and suspect that the tax avoidance may go back as far as five …

1. Oengus

Is this really an option?

The Chocolate Factory had declined an earlier request to be audited.

I didn't think declining a tax office audit was an option... Maybe being a company the size of Google does give you an advantage.

1. DavCrav

Re: Is this really an option?

"The Chocolate Factory had declined an earlier request to be audited.

I didn't think declining a tax office audit was an option... Maybe being a company the size of Google does give you an advantage."

I think that means something like

"Can we take a look at your books?"

"Come back with a court order."

"OK, here it is."

"Oh. Erm, OK then."

1. tmTM

Re: Is this really an option in Indonesia?

"Can we take a look at your books?"

"Come back with a court order."

"OK, here it is."

"Oh. Erm, thats just a gun?"

"yes, it most certainly is"

"now about these books........................"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I didn't think declining a tax office audit was an option... Maybe being a company the size of Google does give you an advantage.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's also a very unwise thing to do, because displaying such arrogance is guaranteed to act as a rag on a red bull (yes, yes, I know it's a myth, thank you, it's an expression). It suggests there is actually something to be had, and may also hint at the fact that Google thought it had somehow a handle on it (think "sponsorship", after all, they walk in and out at Obama's office as well). It seems they didn't..

I'm trying to find if I feel in any small way sorry for Google.

Hmm.

Nope. Not a bit...

1. nematoad
        WTF?

"...a rag on a red bull..."

Eh?

Surely you mean "A red rag to a bull"?

Or are you talking about the energy drink or the F1 racing team?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Surely you mean "A red rag to a bull"?

Yup, thanks for spotting that. I normally have it under control but if I get distracted I end up with sequencing errors - too much data trying to get out through 3.5 finger typing turns me into a dyslexic form of Yoda (Doya?) where both letters in words and words themselves get mixed up (or even omitted) and I have to sort it all out manually.

Auto-incorrect and me have parted ways long ago because its erroneous corrections just made things worse as I had to undo its incorrect undoing of what I wrote which meant back-parsing through two layers of obfuscation before I got what I actually wanted to say. Sigh.

It's a good thing it only happens every so often :).

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bribes must be due for renegotiation

See title

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bribes must be due for renegotiation

When your the size of many of the US multinationals, you don't offer bribes, you publicly threaten governments or throw your toys out of the pram.

Glad to see these companies finally being brought to order.

3. Adam 1

+1 subeditor

Love it

4. Mike Shepherd
    Meh

You bet

"Google Indonesia has been incorporated as a local company in Indonesia since 2011. We have been and will continue to cooperate with the government..."

You bet. Governments have guns.

5. John Lilburne

Gubmint need to re-learn howto ...

... apply the winkle pin. Its well past the time that these corporations were allowed to remain skulking in the cracks between jurisdictions.

https://littlelessonslearned.com/2012/06/05/lesson-55-how-to-eat-a-winkle/

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Gubmint need to re-learn howto ...

Winkles taste disgusting. I suspect that the Indonesian govt will end up feeling the same way about Google.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like