back to article Official: Cloud computing is now mainstream

Cloud computing is so mainstream these days that maybe it should just be called “computing”. That’s what an IDC survey of 6,100 organisations in 31 countries, released today, indicates, with 68 per cent of respondents using public, private or hybrid cloud in their IT mix. This is a 60 per cent jump from 42 per cent of …

1. DonL

The missing details

Surveys like this may make it sound as if everyone is moving to the cloud. But the survey questions are usually phrased in a way that if you run just one insignificant thing (out of dozens) in the cloud, you have to tick the "Yes, we use the cloud" box. Then the outcome is portrayed as a big win for the cloud, even if actual usage would be minimal.

Which is why I don't participate in cloud surveys as the outcome doesn't reflect reality in my opinion.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: The missing details

When I come across no-choice-that-fits-my-reality surveys, I drop them.

Which is to say, that would be most of the ones I come across these days.

2. find users who cut cat tail
      Pint

That is exactly my sentiment. I see around movement to the cloud more as putting some things there that are not critical (in multiple senses) when it is convenient -- and when the cloud brings a hailstorm not much is lost. The critical parts are kept local for reasons technical, legal, ... and because it just bloody makes more sense. I cannot see anything that you want working for 20+ years (or have been working for that long or any combination thereof) being moved to the cloud.

3. a_yank_lurker

One of the problems is the "cloud" is mostly a marketing idea not a technical idea. The basic technology has been used since time sharing on mainframes became practical. The only difference is who owns what part of the system and how are they connected.

4. VinceH

The report itself, which wasn't linked in the article, can be found here.

2. Magani
    Unhappy

It's 10pm,

Do you know where your data is/are?

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: It's 10pm,

Fort Meade, Maryland.

3. Steven Roper

What a load

"Cloud" simply means "storing your data on somebody else's computer" which means it's not secure, no matter what the snake oil salesmen pitch. The only reason cloud vendors want this so much is so they can profile and monetise other people's data, or hold your work and data to ransom for monthly payments.

Which is why I've never stored anything important in the cloud, nor used cloud-based productivity software, and never will.

1. Brian Miller

Re: What a load

It makes sense if you can't run your own datacenter, or someone else does it far better than you. That's the sad fact in a lot of companies. Amazon got into "cloud computing" when they realized they had a lot of extra capacity that was going to waste on a regular basis. It only made sense for them to rent out their spare computing cycles.

If you can effectively manage your own center, then renting someone else's machines doesn't make sense.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a load

Storing on someone else's computer has risks, but so has storing on your own computer.

4. teebie

"68 per cent of respondents using " some sort of cloud

among which 3% of respondents have "superior business outcomes".

Are we sure that the person who wrote the report to encourage cloud uptake is good at their job?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like