back to article World's largest internet exchange sues Germany over mass surveillance

The world's largest internet exchange point is suing the German government for tapping its communications systems. DE-CIX runs a number of critical exchange points – most of them in Germany, but with others in France, Spain and the United States – and has sued the German interior ministry over orders from the German security …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BND vs Stasi

Interesting and entertaining talk here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teu5qXJDFow

(half an hour for the talk, plus another half-ish for the Q&A)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: BND vs Stasi

In the last days of the GDR, the HVA shredded most of their files.

They left intact everything they had on the BND.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: BND vs Stasi

> In the last days of the GDR, the HVA shredded most of their files.

It's difficult to say how many documents were destroyed exactly, I am not sure I would say "most". In any case, that any remain at all, and that those can be accessed by the public, is quite a feat already.

If only we had the same access to our own documents from that time...

2. Michael Hoffmann Silver badge
    Meh

What am I missing?

With interchange points in the US as well, will they sue or have they also sued the NSA? Or do they know well enough that they may have a prayer in German court, but wouldn't get anywhere in the US?

Seems weird - or very smart - going after the piddly BND and not the 800lbs gorilla.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: What am I missing?

USA does not have the European large public peering exchange points. A cosy telco oligopoly of private peerings exists instead. Some members of it have been actively sabotaging any attempts to have public peering points in the USA for years while trying to spread their stinky fud on this side of the ocean too.

There is no need to tap the USA peering points as USA Agencies already has the relevant relationships with the all the members of the oligopoly.

IMHO the more interesting comparison is to LINX. By the way, since when is DECIX larger than the LINX? It used to be smaller (in terms of traffic).

1. Tom Samplonius

Re: What am I missing?

"USA does not have the European large public peering exchange points. A cosy telco oligopoly of private peerings exists instead."

The USA actually has many many more public exchange points than Europe. It is large area, so it needs a lot of exchange points.

"Some members of it have been actively sabotaging any attempts to have public peering points in the USA for years while trying to spread their stinky fud on this side of the ocean too."

The US has a lot of peering exchanges already. At least one per city. I'd like to some references to the "sabotage".

3. Version 1.0 Silver badge

SSDD

Like in many countries, the German government is – theoretically at least – not allowed to spy on its own citizens.

As we've seen for 60 years now (ECHELON et al) all these laws are meaningless - can't spy on your own citizens? Ask your friends to do it for you - they will be glad to help since they have the same problem that you can help them resolve.

Everything is legal - although what good it has ever done is a bit of a mystery.

4. TitterYeNot

Knowledge is power...

...and power is addictive. Now that the BND, NSA, GCHQ etc. have experienced the rush of that corruptive stuff in their veins, they're not going to relinquish it without a fight just because it's inconveniently unconstitutional.

They'll use all the guile and lies of a junkie to get their fix again, and again, and again.

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Gimp

...and power is addictive.

Indeed.

This is beyond all rational need for such data hence, data fetishist.

6. Aslan

Yay

Yay!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

As I posted in response to another topic last week...

Anyone who thinks that this predilection for surveillance/tapping/data leakage is something that is unique to U.S. and British tech and telecoms companies is just kidding themselves. A few more mall shootings and jihadi suicide bombings and the German government will be quite happy to turn to the dark side, though perhaps they will hedge it with more hand-wringing and insincere apologies than other countries might.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seems the STASI didn't die at all...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It appears they moved on the US and GB and then back to where they originated.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Prof Dr Hans-Jürgen Papier

In conferences, do they call him to stage with "Papier, bitte"?

Ok, ok, I was already going, no need to push!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like