back to article Double-dipping malware steals iOS creds and roots Android

A newly-outed trojan is exploiting iOS and Android devices, ripping iCloud credentials abusing the trusted link between phones and PCs, says Palo Alto security researcher Claud Xiao. The attack appears to have failed in most circumstances, thanks to iOS' sandboxing security controls, hardened modern Android operating systems, …

1. Novex

A silly question...

...but how does this malware actually get onto a PC in the first place? I can only take it it's via some kind of internet interaction, probably by visiting a website with the malicious software waiting to download. Surely then blocking ads, javascript, and the like, and not visiting dodgy websites, is likely to mean this isn't going to get onto your Windows PC? And even if it tried, most people are using anti-malware programs so is this really much of a threat?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: A silly question...

It is not a silly question. It is one that I've often asked myself when these vunerabilities are exposed.

Apparently, the majority of PC users still use IE because it say Internet in its name.

One not dumb person told me only a couple of years ago, 'IE, it is the Internet isn't it?'.

After a 'doh!' moment I corrected him and spent the next day and a half removing all the malware etc from his PC. He now runs firefox with all the usual plugins.

The wiser user (viz, most of us here) have consigned IE (and edge) to the wastebasket/trashcan of history so that Adbolockers, noScript and Flashblockers etc are the norm.

But those left behind using IE are pretty well wide open to attack and from the latest stats, that is the majority of Users.

Sadly, YMMV applies in a big way.

1. Updraft102

Wiser users consigned IE to history?

Not me! I'd have to have used it, then stopped, and I've never used it except for brief trials and to install Windows XP updates. I tried it briefly when I installed Win 95 OSR2 a couple of decades ago, but I didn't like it as much as Netscape. Once MS began their "it's a part of the OS!" garbage in the browser war, there was no way I was ever going to use it.

I have the same opinion of Chrome...

1. Danny 14

Ive used IE since i installed it on windows 95 extras CD right up to IE11. Ive had the grand total of zero viruses. I also use firefox and chrome.

I keep up to date on patches and dont click on stupid things. Simple.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Xiao (@claud_xiao) says the DualToy malware targets Windows machines"

Ah, so you need to use a compromised desktop OS to be vulnerable.

3. tiggity Silver badge

adb

adb (android debug bridge) is not just used by custom rom phone folk.

It's a tool typically used if you are developing android code on Windows using Android Studio

and running that code on an attached physical device

So lots of adb users ranging from "day job" android developers through to hobbyists coding apps for fun & (v. unlikely) profit

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: adb

Even so, bit of a small audience to target with malware isn't it? Even smaller when you consider that you have to get it on the PC in the first place.

4. Preston Munchensonton
    Holmes

Color me surprised

Of course, iOS and Android are vulnerable when connected to a Windows PC. #next

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yawn

I would question the credentials of these security researchers.

1. How does the malware get onto the host PC in the first place?

2. What percent of users have ADB and developer mode on their phone? (both requred)

3. How is root obtained, given that Android devices are notoriously hard to root if the manufacturer doesn't want you to.

Please explain the "Android devices are more readily owned", as otherwise, this gets my "yawn, more clickbait" badge.

6. David Lawton

So even when the target is iOS or Android, it still needs the malware magnet Windows. What a surprise.

7. phil dude
    Coat

icons...?

Can we please have some icons in the headline telling us the nature of the "hack".

So for example, perhaps a "bucket and spade" for modded phone, a "win98 flag" for $BROKEN_WINDOZE_VERISON, and a "clowns face" for everyone else who has bog standard software and doesn't click on dodgy links or play poky mon (sic)

P.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like