back to article It actually will be Obama who decides whether to end US government oversight of the internet

The decision whether to end US government oversight of the internet will likely come down to a personal decision by President Obama on Thursday. In an extraordinary series of arguments and counter-arguments this past week, a last-minute push by Republicans looks likely to succeed in placing a funding freeze on the Department …

1. Gordon 10

I'm with the dickheads on this one.

As much as it galls me to call for the same thing as Ted Cruz another year ensuring ICANN can act a bit more honestly isn't a bad thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Devil

Re: I'm with the dickheads on this one.

Yes, I'm on the same side of an issue as Ted Cruz. I feel like I need a shower now.

2. Steve Knox
      Pint

You can both rest relatively easily -- Ted Cruz isn't actually on any side; he simply picks the position whereby he can most inflate his own ego.

1. Not That Andrew

Yeah, he seems like of a more palatable version of Drumpf. I imagine the Republicans will go with him next presidential election, God help us.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

It's unlikely - Cruz was born in Canada which constitutionally make him ineligible for the presidency .

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Cruz was born in Canada which constitutionally make him ineligible for the presidency ."

Um, No.

He wasn't a US citizen at birth, which is what makes him ineligble. If his mother had been a citizen he would be.

2. SirWired 1

I don't see why it shouldn't be delayed (or stopped)

I find the arguments that it would be a good thing to see how well the very latest round of accountability reforms work before handing it over to be very persuasive. Previous rounds of reform have proven to be utterly ineffective, why should we believe that these will actually work?

And, in any case, what's the rush? Why is this happening at all? What problem is ending the DoC contract trying to solve? To my knowledge, the DoC/US Govt. in general, has done precisely nothing to interfere with ICANN/IANAs operations.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't see why it shouldn't be delayed (or stopped)

There have been some in government calling for it though - like the ones who wanted to pull Iran's country code and hand it over to people suing them.

It is only a matter of time before dimwittery wins out and something stupid like that is seriously considered or even happens.

Nonetheless, ICANN needs much stronger controls in place before it should become independent of the US. At least under the US there's some sort of check on their more extreme behavior, who knows what sort of crackpot moneymaking schemes they'll come up with for more top level domains, selling off single letter domains, probably lots of stuff I never even considered is being planned in secret for when they win their freedom.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
        Flame

Re: ICANN needs much stronger controls in place before it should become independent of the US

Indeed. In that spirit, here is my flamethrower range called "The Persuader" . . .

3. theastrodragon

The fact that Apple, Facebook and Google all want this is enough to make me say no.

1. mhenriday
      Holmes

On the other hand,

Tail Gunner 2.0 - one Rafael Edward Cruz is opposed to it. If the choice is to be determined not by what one favours, but by what one opposes, how's a poor chap to decide in this case ?...

Henri

2. BuckeyeB

The fact that Obama wants to do it makes me think no.

4. ma1010
    Childcatcher

ICANN probably can't

The problem that I see is that ICANN has no transparency or accountability at all. They seem very secretive, and often do things that make one question their competency. All this makes me want to not trust them with full control of the root domain, even if it does put me on the same side of the question as idiots spouting nonsense about Iran taking over the Internet.

Also, as another poster pointed out, the fact that outfits like Apple, Google and Farcebook are in favor of the takeover should give one pause. Perhaps they have pre-bribed ICANN to do their bidding? I smell something fishy here.

5. Tromos

Taking over the Internet

Iran or Facebook? That's a tricky one.

6. Tom 64
    Windows

My money is on a punt

This is such a thorny issue, I can see Obama kicking this one into the long grass and leaving it for his successor to deal with

1. David Roberts

Re: My money is on a punt

Might go the other way. A last chance for a "screw you, guys" gesture before he moves on to more lucrative stuff.

2. Yes Me Silver badge

Re: My money is on a punt

He does nothing and the contract will expire. And the issue isn't thorny unless you are an ill-informed right winger.

7. Not That Andrew
    Joke

Obligatory "Thanks Obama" comment

8. nicercat

How is Ted Cruz not a serious politician?

a) no matter how much you might disagree with his conservative views, nobody seriously argues that Ted Cruz is not a deadly serious politician.

b) On this issue, whether you agree with it or not, you have to admit that it deserves debate, and frankly, this was flying well under the radar outside of techieland until Cruz got involved.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: How is Ted Cruz not a serious politician?

Serious? If Obama had been against this then it's a certain bet that Ted Cruz would have been for it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like