back to article Reg hacks warned off drugs

The Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance (MEAA), the union for journalists in Australia, has warned members not to offer cocaine at its annual Walkley Awards for excellent excellence in journalism. The Alliance has even issued a statement in which is says "The account of people associated with MEAA offering cocaine at the …

1. Oengus
    Coat

Got me

but are now reconsidering the benefits of Alliance membership.

I wonder what the requirements are for membership...

Mine's the one with the white powder in the pockets.

1. Simon Sharwood, Reg APAC Editor (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Got me

FWIW I joined when I got my first job in journalism 20-odd years ago. Sent in a cheque for a week's wages. Huge sum of money to me at the time.

And then I heard nothing. For 6 months. Until a new bill for another week's wages arrived.

I asked why I was being asked to pay again when I never heard back on my membership application. I was told told that there was no way to pay half a year's fees and that the membership card printing machine was broken and had been for six months.

I do hope the MEAA has improved since.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Why the focus on cocaine, what about other drugs? And I don't mean coffee, tea or tobacco.

1. Lyle Dietz

Because without the other drugs it might impair their ability to turn out passable copy by the deadline.

I also "don't mean coffee, tea or tobacco".

2. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
  3. David Roberts
    Thumb Up

Excuse me

While I dash off a quick line or two.

Damn, but I love this job.

4. jake Silver badge

Cocaine? Really?

Yuppie hipsters from the 1980s on line one ... seems they want their drugs back.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon