back to article End of life for Linux 3.14

Version 3.14 of the Linux kernel is no longer being supported. Kernel maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman took to the Linux Kernel Mailing List with the following: NOTE - the 3.14.y kernel series is now end-of-life. It will not be receiving any more updates and should no longer be used at all. Please use 4.4 if you want a LTS …

1. Dazed and Confused

What does this mean to the Pi?

I'll get my coat

hey most of my boxes are still running 2.6

1. PyLETS
      Joke

Final Pi version

Surely 3.14.159 has to be the final Pi version, not 3.14.79 ?

2. Buzzword
    Flame

That's 2.5 years from release to end of life. Government bodies take about that long to commission an IT project in the first place. No wonder Linux isn't making headway in that space.

(Flames, because they're a-coming.)

1. Spoonguard
      FAIL

EOL

Ver Maintainer Released Projected EOL

4.4 Greg Kroah-Hartman 2016-01-10 Feb, 2018

4.1 Sasha Levin 2015-06-21 Sep, 2017

3.18 Sasha Levin 2014-12-07 Jan, 2017

3.16 Ben Hutchings 2014-08-03 Apr, 2020

3.12 Jiri Slaby 2013-11-03 Jan, 2017

3.10 Willy Tarreau 2013-06-30 Oct, 2017

3.4 Li Zefan 2012-05-20 Sep, 2016

3.2 Ben Hutchings 2012-01-04 May, 2018

2. Dazed and Confused

Re: waiting for the flames

I guess that the sort of government projects you're talking about are unlikely to be running a raw Linux kernel, so these dates aren't likely to be of any interest to them. They're more likely to be running one of the well known distributions who'll continue to support things for much much longer. RHEL has a 10 year support life.

3. DubyaG

No flames necessary, but I think your estimate falls short of the mark. I thought government procurement processes were designed to last five years longer than end of life.

1. Dazed and Confused

I know HP used to still show part numbers active for a couple of generations back worth of HW to cope with these issues. The end customers used to complain like mad that they could never buy the latest HW because any attempt to modify an order for the new version would put them back to the start of a multi-year buying procedure.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Headmaster

End of Support

End of Support != End of Life

If something has no software added, never connects to internet etc (Dumb TV set, dumb microwave etc, or some factory tool) then there isn't an End Of Life till it breaks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon