back to article IBM's AI guru leaps over to Brit biz benevolent.ai

Benevolent.ai, a British artificial intelligence (AI) healthcare company, has hired IBM’s AI expert Jérôme Pesenti, ex-VP of Watson Core Technology, to head up its technology division. Founded in 2013, benevolent.ai was spun out of the management team working at Proximagen, a pharmaceutical company, who were frustrated with …

1. Yesnomaybe

When will we have AI?

I wonder how far we are from strong AI. Someone said that if you want to know if the time-machine was invented, you'd best look for people winning the lottery several times. I'm assuming it would be best to look for AI where it would benefit the creators the most, and where they have the resources to shoulder the cost.... I am guessing banking, military and pharma are further along the development-path than they want us to know. Would give a considerable competitive advantage.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: When will we have AI?

Well, it's been "just around the corner" since the 1960ies. I'd say this will be the status quo for quite some time.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

One of the problems with san serif fons is that a capital i looks just like a lower case L.

I was left wondering if Alguru was Algorithm's older brother.

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Wonder how much of that data set came from the NHS

And how much they were paid for it

Probably nowhere near as much as it will make the company, or will cost the patients due to very poor anonymization.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like