back to article Lose a satellite? Us? China silent on fate of Gaofen civilian/spy sat

It wasn't just a bad week for SpaceX: China's is mourning the loss of an Earth observation satellite launched on September 1. As US space blog NASA Spaceflight notes, there's no official statement on the fate of the Long March mission that was supposed to lift Gaofen (“high resolution”) 10 into orbit. That's a hint that not …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

"... and crashed into Shangluo City"

Do Chineses ensure their stages crashes into cities? No need for expensive recovery barges? Musk should be twice as envy.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: "... and crashed into Shangluo City"

The Chinese government's position on such things is "If we lose a couple civilians, doesn't matter, we got a billion more they came from", the official position is "We must make sacrifices for the betterment of The People". I believe that the Chinese government has declared that Fucks are government property and are too dangerous to be given to citizens.

On a serious note, they declare large chunks of land the size of counties as being part of the city that exists within it. In some cases there may only be a few dozen people that live in the region, but that whole massive area is still "Blah-Blah City". Its all international posturing, having a bunch of cities makes them look big and powerful.

2. AndyS

Cities

Is it normal for first stages and fairings to fall on cities? Or is this a usage of the word "city" that I'm not familiar with? I'd have thought dropping rockets into densely packed civilian areas would be frowned upon, even in China.

1. Umbracorn

Re: Cities

From the Google translate of the Google archive (yeah, I know) of aihangtian.com linked in the article:

"After the rocket took off south west direction of flight, launch orbit is sun-synchronous orbit. Unfortunately, the launch failure, the satellite did not enter orbit. A Long March rocket four C working properly and crashed into Hill County Shangluo City in Shaanxi Province; fairing also successfully separated, and falling in Enshi City Shing Xiangjiaba territory."

Most likely they're just referencing administrative regions.

But in related history, last week a commenter posted this link to a 1994 disaster at Xichang launch site, and the accompanying state reaction. FYI:

http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/disaster-at-xichang-2873673/?no-ist

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, I can confirm having seen that in China: the translation "city" actually applies to the whole administrative area under the control of the city government, which would be a county in other countries. It's not limited to the inhabited area.

1. Rampant Spaniel

America has vendors looser definition of cities which relate more to postal boundaries. An example would be Lāna`i city, population 1.4 if you include cats.

It also leads to some confusion with addresses where you have to put down your postal city but not your town i.e. you live in Nāpili which is a genuine area / town but your address is Lāhainā which is 10 miles away. It took a little getting used to for a Brit but it's just how they roll here.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"It also leads to some confusion with addresses where you have to put down your postal city but not your town "

That happens quite a bit in the UK too. My postal town is 10 miles away from the village where the deliveries actually happen.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Mark 85

I guess we should take things like that at face value... with the caveat that since it was "successful" why remove any information? Including pictures of the local police looking for debris? This really sounds like some of Russia's spectacular fails back in the space race days: Announce and then deny when things go pear-shaped.

3. Magani
    WTF?

New meaning to 'correct'

"... the first stage separated correctly and crashed into Shangluo City in the Shaanxi Province, while ..."

Not what I'd call correct or successful, but Eastern philosophy and languages were never my strong suit.

4. AndrueC Silver badge
    WTF?

the first stage separated correctly and crashed into Shangluo City

Ah but did it crash correctly into Shangluo City?

5. James 51

I am sure that all the citizens were patriotic enough to get out of the way of any debris (and not spread false information and rumours, even if it did happen and they can prove it).

6. wolfetone Silver badge
    Alien

Sounds a bit like what happened in New Mexico circa 1947...

7. Bob Rocket

3rd stage failure

The third stage clearly did not crash into its allocated city and as such is deemed a failure.

Perhaps the Chinese use spent rocket stages to save on the cost of demolishing old abandoned cities to make way for shiny new ghost cities.

8. Trollslayer

Civilian/spy

Same thing there.

1. Crazy Operations Guy

Re: Civilian/spy

I love it when China has the audacity to use the term "civilian". To them, they have a billion entities that can be pressed into service to make cheap junk for every other country and use up resources better used to help "The People".

The only real people in the country are the million or so folk heroically living in huge state-provided mansions and bravely accepting the equivalent of hundreds of thousands of dollars a year from the government for doing the dangerous job of overseeing the local cities and factories. It truly is a burden to deal with that much wealth; the proletariat truly are the lucky ones here, they don't even have to deal with the burden of a living wage or safe work conditions.

</sarcasm>

9. gregthecanuck
    Trollface

"You're lost another .... "

https://www.getyarn.io/yarn-clip/43a9feda-7898-479c-95c1-7317a4f7b179

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Coat

"If it is indeed a failure, it's the first for a Long March lifter since December 2013"

Correction : it's the first we know of.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "If it is indeed a failure, it's the first for a Long March lifter since December 2013"

Come on, we even know of the failures of the puny Nork rockets, even though they make China seem like a democratic Utopia :)

1. Stoneshop

we even know of the failures of the puny Nork rockets

North Korea tends to announce theirs, so that their capability to utterly destroy the imperialist capitalist scum won't be swept under the carpet. It's therefore comparatively easy for observers to view the brilliant achievements of the North Korean scientists and engineers, even if they then need to try to belittle those achievements by claiming there were only three successful launches where actually there were four, with two so perfectly alike and synchronised that they appeared to the ignorant as being photoshopped.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In further NEWS....

....those that watched the launch, lined up peacefully to have their eyes removed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like