back to article EMC-Pure Storage patent sueball circus sent back to square one

EMC's $14m patent award against Pure Storage has been set aside by a judge who has ordered a new trial. The judge in the Delaware District federal court case ruled that the jury didn't consider the notion that EMC's patent, number 7,434,015 dealing with deduplication, is invalid due to an earlier patent issued to Sun …

1. a_yank_lurker

Don't Tell Leisure Suit Larry

Since Sun is now owned by Oracle Leisure Suit Larry may have a patent suit that is a slam dunk. PSST don't tell him.

2. razorfishsl

2008?

Surely "de-duplication" is simply compression and I know we were using in back in the 80's when writing computer games....

and I certainly use it in my dissertation work, when building a compression matrix of NAND FLASH chips, which allowed me to get the full nand-flash chip into a limited realtime memory of a FPGA to simulate the device....

I.E if the block was unused , i simply transferred a token over the wire then had a hashmap lookup.

as,long as most of the Nand flash remained 'empty' or contained duplicate data , you could simulate the working from ram.

real used blocks with differing hashes were simply store in full ram, identical sets of data were simply pointers...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon