back to article Dwarf planet Ceres has a watery secret: An 11 mile wide ice volcano

Ahuna Mons, the 13,000 foot high, 11 mile wide volcano on dwarf planet Ceres is made entirely out of ice – and provides evidence that water may have once existed beneath the planet's surface. "Ahuna is truly unique, being the only mountain of its kind on Ceres," said David Williams, co-author and associate research professor …

1. graeme leggett Silver badge
    Coat

Obligatory pop culture reference

Ice Volcano. Is there a Dalek base nearby?

Mine's the light brown spacesuit with the "Made on Skaro" label

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The boffins uncovering all of this must feel positively electric.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Tom Paine
    Trollface

planet?

So Ceres is round, and is differentiated in layers internally, and it (or something) has cleared it's orbit, so... it's a planet, right? Albeit a minor one. Like Pluto.

Right, kids?

1. Alistair
      Coat

Re: planet?

I've two texts (for the youngest) that refer to it as a dwarf planet.

So, planet, albedo a small one.

1. Ilmarinen
        Headmaster

Not dwarf planet - PORG: Planet Of Restricted Growth

1. LaeMing
          Go

They prefer to be called 'little planets'

2. DJO Silver badge

has cleared it's orbit

It lives in the asteroid belt so to say it has cleared its orbit might be a bit premature.

5. Alistair
    Coat

Water, Water

Everywhere, and not a drop of it <where nestle can bottle it and make a profit>

(I'm sure they're gonna try sometime)

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Coat

Bring it closer to the Sun

A gigantic salty swimming pool!

The atmosphere would be a problem...

7. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Thumb Up

So now possibly the most desirable piece of off Earth real estate in the solar system

10 mile chunk of water.

That's a nice thing to have if you're looking at ISRU or living there.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So now possibly the most desirable piece of off Earth real estate in the solar system

Whaddya mean? That thing is as big as Britain.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: So now possibly the most desirable piece of off Earth real estate in the solar system

So, it could do a... Brexit?

2. cray74

10 mile chunk of water.

Don't tell the Ryan Ice Cartel. ;)

8. Chris G

Salty Ice

So kind of limited to Margaritas on Ceres.

On a more serious note; the Solar system gets more interesting with each explorative mission, for what it costs, I think for humanity it is great value for money.

I just wish I was younger and could hope to actually get out there and have a look around but I don't see that happening any time soon, or at least soon enough for a 65 year old.

1. wx666z

Re: Salty Ice

Me too! But our grandchildren will....

2. Roger Varley

Re: Salty Ice

I can't help feeling I chose the wrong career. Beating hardware into submission does pall after a while

9. Stevie

Bah!

Yawn.

Show me there are Space Aliens skiing down said ice-mountain, then you have my attention.

10. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Incredible amounts of water out there

So Europa is an icy ball, now Ceres has a cryovolcano. There are astounding amounts of water out there.

Makes for good chances of finding habitable planets when we finally take to the stars, I think.

11. Adrian 4

Secret ??

An eleven-mile-wide volcano ?

TMBSDOSWWIWNPF

12. TonyK

Bigged up

That picture isn't a photo: according to NASA's Ceres pages, it's a "simulated perspective view" in which "the elevation has been exaggerated by a factor of two." I thought it looked too good to be true.

1. Anthill Beetle

Re: Bigged up

+1: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6611

2. Tom 7

Buggered up! And why exaggerate the elevation by a factor of two?

This sort of thing really gets one into the uncanny valley. Makes google earth look realistic.

1. LaeMing

I assume to compensate for the flattening effect of the angle at which the photo was taken?

13. Unep Eurobats

"Ahuna is truly unique"

But what is that in snowflakes, the new official El Reg unit of uniqueness? I would say the "icy volcanic activity" also found on Io, Triton and Enceladus means Ceres only bags a few extra kiloflakes on the uniqueness scale, despite all the actual snowflakes that must swirl down when the big Ahuna kicks off.

1. cray74

Re: "Ahuna is truly unique"

I would say the "icy volcanic activity" also found on Io,

Silicate lavas that are 1600K / 2400F tend to fall outside cryovolcanism. ;)

The rest of your point is well-taken, though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon