back to article Kindle Paperwhites turn Windows 10 PCs into paperweights: Plugging one in 'triggers a BSOD'

Plugging a Kindle Paperwhite into a PC running Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update installed sparks a full system meltdown, it is claimed. Connecting the Amazon e-reader to a fully up-to-date W10 machine via USB triggers an immediate Blue Screen of Death, according to complaints on Microsoft's support forum. All the trouble …

Page:

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
    FAIL

is there a comprehensive list of cockups?

is there a comprehensive list of cockups for the Win-10-nic "happy anniversary" edition?

So far I've seen quite a few... (published by El Reg that is, in the last few days) from BSODs to PowerSmell bugs.

I guess this is what happens when you lay off all of your Q.A. staff, refuse to listen to customers, and ship beta code en masse.

1. m0rt

Re: is there a comprehensive list of cockups?

Anniversary edition, Windows 10 gets all passive aggressive...

2. Baldy50

OMG! How many more are there going to be?

Glad I didn't go for the free upgrade and would rather pay for whatever OS I use in the future when 7 not supported.

1. BobChip
        Linux

Yup. It is called Windows 10. It is comprehensive, all embracing and apparently all destroying. Of course, you do not need to pay anything at all for your next OS......

1. Tchou
          Devil

"you do not need to pay anything at all for your next OS......"

You don't need to, but a little financial contribution is welcome on OSS projects.

I gave two times 100$ to the FreeBSD foundation for 3 years of desktop bliss.

2. oiseau
        Happy

" ... would rather pay for whatever OS I use in the future when 7 not supported."

No need to go to that far.

Just get yourself one of those free ones out there, the ones with the funny names and no BSODs or snooping.

3. Mark 85

Win-10-nic "happy anniversary" edition?

I'm thinking that this "anniversary" is like the ones some couples I've run across have had... there's going to be a large divorce in the near future.

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

These are all part of the MS 'Cunning Plan' to make anything that isn't carrying the MS brand or Windows Inside sticker inoperable.

How many printers no longer work with W10? Why don't the H/W makers update their drivers?

Or what incentive was there from Redmond to make them not work?

I really don't know what the real reasons are/were but the continued footgun events that surround W10 makes me think that is something that only Baldrick could dream up.

It never ended well for Baldrick and I see no signs that this will end well for MS.

1. Martin 47

AhHa! I've spotted the problem, it's clearly the wrong sort of turnip.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Believe me, device makers need no incentive. They get no money by updating drivers, only by selling new devices. Maybe should they start to charge for driver updates after a while?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Oh, I didn't know you all support your customers indefinitely for free. But I'm quite sure you charge them handsomely even to replace a toner cartridge or plug a plug, whenever you can, instead. It's always easy to be munificent with someone else money...

Yet I've seen very little criticism about, for example, Android very short update support, far shorter than the driver availability of many printers (especially if you buy a PCL or PostScript one).. Just because with a new printer people can't show off like with a new shiny phone? Grow up, boys, and send me on offer for your lifetime free support...

1. Roopee Bronze badge
            FAIL

Re: I didn't know you all support your customers indefinitely for free.

I do. I give free telephone and email support if people ask, clients and potential clients alike. I only charge if I have to do a call-out. Microsoft should have tried that, it would have done wonders for their reputation, and dramatically improved their products because they would understand what real problems real people have with them. And of course they would be incentivised to make them more reliable and user-friendly. Instead they've done the exact opposite, with the opposite result.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"Oh, I didn't know you all support your customers indefinitely for free."

Smart businesses do. It is well known that finding new customers is harder than keeping existing ones. It is also well known that a sufficiently bad experience will mean that customers black-list you and for a number of years afterwards will buy from anyone-but-you. Bluntly, there's no point in producing new products if the support experience of the older ones is bad.

Support isn't *that* expensive if you have half a brain. Most genuine problems only need to be fixed once, properly, and most non-problems don't cost you anything but time. After 5-10 years, depending on the product, they may well be open to the suggestion that the best "fix" is to replace their gizmo with one of your more recent offerings.

In that last respect, Microsoft's repeated failure to convert XP and 7 users to more recent versions of Windows stands out as an oddity. Even without seeing the later versions, you can tell that they must really suck, based on the low conversion rates. It is astonishing that a company as large as MS has not shed more blood internally because of this demonstrable under-performance.

1. Charles 9

"Smart businesses do. It is well known that finding new customers is harder than keeping existing ones. It is also well known that a sufficiently bad experience will mean that customers black-list you and for a number of years afterwards will buy from anyone-but-you. Bluntly, there's no point in producing new products if the support experience of the older ones is bad."

No, STUPID Smart business do that. SMART Smart businesses cultivate a Captive Market so that you don't have to find new customers; they inevitably come to you. And you don't have to worry about them walking away; they walk BACK for lack of alternatives. It's like the Smash Mouth song, "...but if the offer's shunned, you might as well be Walking on the Sun."

2. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Sorry, it looks you never run a company. You could retain all the customers you want if you don't charge them for support, just you won't stay in business for long, unless you just sell quickly expendable products like toilet paper or soft drinks.

You have expenses, people cost, office space costs, power, heating and cooling costs, hardware costs, time spent understanding what the customer wants costs.

Do you really spend much effort for a customer who bought a product of yours ten years before, is one of the few remaining users, and then never spent another dime with you?

Sure, there's also the good customer you won't charge for a simple and quick fix, but supporting old products may become in the long run truly unsustainable, and yes, you may also need to sell replacements for old products, or you would just go off business.

If you ever run a company, you quickly learn not all customers are the same. There are those who keep you afloat, and then there are those who will just sink you because they want everything but want to spend nothing. They may even pretend to promise to buy more.... these are the customers you can afford to lose.

I understand from a customer point of view endless support is nice, just, nobody can afford it.

But maybe drivers should add telemetry and send everything they see to the mothership so you can get endless support? You just need to decide what way you like to pay.

I guess you like to be paid, and, believe me, many other people like to be paid and hope to not be laid off because their company can't stay in business.

3. present_arms

I do with my respin, yes I don't have 350 Million users, I have a few thousand at best, 99% of my stuff "just works" for them, but I miss the occasional oops and I endeavour to fix as soon as I can, regardless if the bug affects one person or a lot. Oh and yet I don't have the turnover of some small countries. MS laying off their testers is the single biggest fuckup they made. If only they would look back to days when within reason (it's always been bad but ffs not this bad) that XP in the end was not bad, vista has a bad reputation for being dog slow, it was but at least the fooker ran, 7 was a major improvement on Vista although it was a paid for service pack, then after that all shit broke loose. We had "Modern" of 8 and 8.1 (largest fucking start menu ever) and now the spy ridden 10 and it's nice show stopping updates. It's a shame really. We need a Microsoft, if only to show other developers what not to do.

Alie

4. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Yet I've seen very little criticism about, for example, Android very short update support",

Where have you been? This site is full of articles and comments bemoanoing the crappy update process of the brand name android devices (note the Google DO provide updates, but your branded devices won't take them)

"far shorter than the driver availability of many printers (especially if you buy a PCL or PostScript one).. Just because with a new printer people can't show off like with a new shiny phone?

What are you smoking? A generic Postscript or PCL driver will work with any Postscript or PCL printer. Postscript and PCL are generally backwards compatible. You may lose control over advanced features, but you will always be able to get a printed page. Of course, if your only real experience is using Windows, then yes, you probably need the correct and latest driver for your exact make and model or printer or it won't work at all and you have to by a new printer and/or scanner every time a new version of Windows is released.

2. Mage Silver badge

Re: charge for driver updates after a while?

All the real Kindles are only USB storage!

You can connect it to XP, Win7, Linux and even Andriod phones or tablets via USB2Go adaptor cable if the Android device supports USB sticks that way.

It's not like one of those silly cameras that needs a driver, or like an iThing needing iTunes. You don't need ANY application other than a file browser, though I recommend Calibre (works almost all eReaders and many OSes).

How many other USB devices cause this?

Does turning off stupendously stupid autorun fix it?

3. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Printer drivers. why

isnt it about time some sort of standard was brought in to negate the need for drivers for printers and scanners .(i spent fucking hours the other day with a brand new brother scanner that refused to swallow its own drivers , but thats by the by)

Isnt that what postscript is? and twain? and even ISIS?. why do the hardware munufacturers need drivers on the pc, tailored for that OS?

Shouldnt the PC just say " hey , yo , printer , I'm chucking you a document Postscript stylee - you know what to do cos we've been rockin that protocol since 1987"

or the PC could say "Scanner! dude! next time my homie drops you some green , just gimme the data in Twain or ISIS format and thatll be all super groovy"

I know all this is possible because some printers you can just stick a USB with a JPG into them and they print - no need for a fucking recalcitrant windows machine that will say "the best driver is currently installed " 1000 times before you manage to convince it that no driver is installed and place accept the one you've been trying to force feed it for hours.

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

As far as I'm aware, such standards already exist (defined by the USB consortium) and are implemented in Windows. Despite this, printer and scanner manufacturers apparently believe that having their own driver stack is a good thing.

Perhaps this is because it lets them push crapware (for which, presumably, they get paid) alongside the driver installer. Or perhaps it is because Microsoft's implementation is so bad that no vendor wants to associate their kit with the bugs. (This was certainly the case for USB comms devices until at least Win8. *Everyone* wrote their own driver on Windows but just used the standard one on Linux.)

1. Charles 9

"As far as I'm aware, such standards already exist (defined by the USB consortium) and are implemented in Windows. Despite this, printer and scanner manufacturers apparently believe that having their own driver stack is a good thing."

Because they want to be the new standard-BEARER. Remember, the ultimate goal of any business is a captive market: one where the customers pretty much can't do ANYTHING without you, INCLUDING doing nothing at all.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"but just used the standard one on Linux.)"

True, but don't forget the quirks mode needed to get around buggy standards, buggy hardware and propriety firmware/niggles/stuff in some devices. But least with BSD/Linux that all just happens behinds scenes and "just works" rather than needing special, individual drivers..

3. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Did you ever read the USB specifications? They don't do what you believe they do. Moreover, there are not oly USB connected printers (all of my printers are networked ones).

And it looks you have no idea what processing is needed to turn memory data into a physical print, and viceversa. Do you believe it happens by magic?

You can use generic drivers with printers supporting standards like PCL or PS. Not surprisingly, you will lose any management features which are not covered by the standards.

2. herman

Well, most networked printer have a FTP server that does exactly that. Send it a PS or PDF file by anonymous FTP and it will print.

1. simon maasz

As many students have discovered rather than pay for uni printing. H aHa

3. dajames

Isnt that what postscript is? and twain? and even ISIS?. why do the hardware munufacturers need drivers on the pc, tailored for that OS?

That's exactly right ... BUT ... the reason we have so many devices that do need drivers is to reduce the hardware cost of the printers and scanners.

A PostScript printer has to have quite a bit of CPU power and memory on board to run the PostScript language and that costs money, but you can make a thick-as-pigshit printer for much less, and the PC has plenty of CPU power to work out where to put the ink/toner. The fact that you then need bloated drivers to make it work, with obscure dependencies on specific OSes and runtimes, and that the printer is then a compatibility nightmare and a support headache is of no interest to printer manufacturers.

If you insist on a PostScript printer and a wired ethernet connection you'll pay a little more for your printer, but compatibility and support problems will vanish.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Actually, is far more complex than that. First, not all printers are PCL or PostScript ones with on board processing engines. Most of the cheaper ones have jobs processed on the PC and the taw data in a printer specific format is sent to the printer. Same for some high end photo printers that may have printing capabilities beyond what PCL and PS cover.

Then there are all the hardware specific settings that are outside the scope of PCL and PS standards. Or image processing through the OS color management system. If for you is acceptable to print a jpeg without color profile, your needs are very, very basic. Anyway JPEG is already an RGB raster format that needs very little processing. Find one that supports TIFFs...

Same is true for the scanners, for example dust removal technology. Yes, you could move much of this processing to the device, and maybe use a web interface to manage them, it would just make the device much more expensive, that's why PCL and PS printers cost much more. Also you may lose the capability of working on raw data - there are some third party scanner software that actually improve the capabilities. Why? Because they work on raw data with more sophisticated algorithms, or use the scanner hardware in different ways (i.e. multipass scanning). These require direct access to the scanning hw.

And you would still need to update the firmware as the OS evolves.

I find worrying more and more people actually have no clue about a computer and its devices work.

5. Luiz Abdala

On the other side of the spectrum....

My Playstation 3 (YES, A FREAKING PLAYSTATION) read my Logitech Webcam, and my Epson Printer, WITHOUT DRIVERS.

The freaking webcam would cause the PC to throw a hissy fit if it was plugged before the drivers. Woe betide you if you plugged the printer on PC before launching their setup CD too.

The printer just worked out of the WIFI signalling through the router, of all the methods. The webcam was working on the PS3 before I even sat down.

4. Wensleydale Cheese
          FAIL

That doesn't add up

"They get no money by updating drivers, only by selling new devices. They get no money by updating drivers, only by selling new devices."

Printers are sold cheaply in order to establish a future income from printer ink sales.

That income stream will dry up if the devices stop working.

5. RW

Maybe M$ should stop changing driver architecture with every version of Windows. It can't be an accident that this occurs.

3. RW

> what incentive was there from Redmond to make them not work?

More crap from the so-called marketing wonks. M$ has a long standing habit of doing their best to disable both hard- and software not branded M$. My suspicion is that said wonks think that if they can disable Popular Item #33, customers will flock to the M$ equivalent.

Back in DOS days, M$ thought their slogan was funny, "Dos isn't done until Lotus won't run". Deliberately introduced malfunctions are an old, old practice in Redmond.

This is wrong, both factually and ethically. Rather like the Young Turks' comment on Donald Drumpf, "running profitable businesses is a much better plan than repeated bankruptcies." [paraphrased], a much better plan for M$ would be to build hard- and software so good people are happy to adopt it without childish efforts to force them to.

The unethical aspect doesn't need spelling out; it's obvious. I'm surprised that this doesn't violate fair trade laws.

1. MJI Silver badge

I remember their constant attack on the Netware client as well.

Yes MS we remember.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What? Windows 10 got the largest QA team ever - 350M testers. Who else has a so large one? And see, they are actually finding bugs, while testing all the devices out there without MS even spending a dime for them.. Don't worry, for selected paying users W10 will work...

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

is there a comprehensive list of cockups for the Win-10-nic "happy anniversary" edition?

Nobody is willing to dedicate THAT much space..

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

and ship beta code en masse.

It sounds as if much of it is still alpha code that has not been tested at all.

1. Warm Braw

much of it is still alpha code

Worse, much of it is gratuitous - stuff that could simply have been left unchanged. Although, I suppose that applies to everything after Windows 7 - Windows was done at that point and there was no real need to change it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'no real need' is subjective. Don't get me wrong I'm mostly satisfied with Win7-- only uncovered a few showstoppers such as the corrupt user profile thing where it loses your registry, sometimes permanently, and the only way I got it to work again was by restoring a non-MS-made image of both the Windows partition and the one holding \Users (which you're not supposed to hold on a different volume but whoever decided that is insane and the fact that using that "deprecated" layout will cause upgrades to Win8 and later to summarily fail, is just a bonus). Supposedly there are lots of small performance & responsiveness improvements in 8 (according to Herb Sutter in the atomic weapons talk) but it's not enough to justify the widespread madness. IMO anything that was rather important could have been rolled out to the various components of Win7 leading up to SP2 but maybe I'm just spoiled on modularity of UNIXy things and the whole kit really did have to be redesigned, as I already suspected and still do 2 major versions later.

8. MrClaret

How exactly didn't they listen to their customers...every heard of the Windows insider program.

1. Wade Burchette

"How exactly didn't they listen to their customers...every heard of the Windows insider program."

The most requested feature of the insider program was the return of Aero. Where is Aero? Many people requested Microsoft disable all the telemetry and spying. I repeatedly requested the return of the pre-boot F8 repair button. All ignored. Many people requested a customizable hierarchy-based start menu like the one found in every Windows version from 95 to 7. What they got was an illogical, strict alphabetical mini-Metro start menu whose sole purpose is to push apps. When people made suggestions to the mini-Metro start menu, they were listened to. The insider program was not about feedback, it was about affirmation.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Mushroom

"every heard of the Windows insider program."

yes. I was there. the fanbois, shills, and sycophants all kept touting how great the flatso 2D flugly was on the 'answers.microsoft' forum that was dedicated to the insider program, about how the start thing couldn't be any better, how the adware and spyware was NOT intrusive, how the tracking didn't violate our privacy, how much BETTER the 'apps' were, how much BETTER the 2D flatso was, yotta yotta, and there were ALSO those who objected and started threads that got MORE activity than ANY OTHER KIND with boatloads of NEGATIVE POSTS having titles like "there are no redeeming qualities in windows 10" and "why I hate windows 10" and things of that nature [/me catches breath] and they received the BANS and threats from moderators that they did NOT deserve.

And, yours truly was SPECIFICALLY threatened by the forum owner, after a YEAR of having been careful to stay WITHIN the rules so as to NOT get banned, and ALSO after an apparent astroturf campaign involving 3 or more well-known sycophantic posters, that there was SOMETHING wrong with my "tone" (and 'everybody' was saying so now), with the use of capitalizations and punctuation for EMPHASIS!, much like certain 'El Reg' articles even, and that if I didn't "stop that" I would be banned based on my WRITING STYLE.

[I left instead, and so have many others]

And many other dissenters from MIcro-shaft's direction were UNFAIRLY banned (during the insider program) for *slightly* violating "the rules", particularly when you stretch the definition to include 'making the mod angry' or 'the moderators *FELT* as if'. These members (particularly, one, an author of windows books) were always pointing out (often OBVIOUS) problems, retorting the ridiculous arguments from the fanbois and shills, and often using FACTS with actual data to back it up [such as quoting MANY survey results that indicate the popularity of 3D skeuomorphic vs 2D "flatso" was 2:1 in favor of the 3D style], and they were ULTIMATELY rewarded with somewhat frequent "sit in the corner" bans, sometimes for a month or more. Yet, the shills, sycophants, and fanbois would REGULARLY engage in overt ad-hominem attacks and accusations, and never ONCE got a ban.

So yeah, Micro-shaft "listened" during the insider program. They listened to people who SAID! WHATEVER! THEY! WANTED! TO! HEAR!!! And ignored the rest of us.

1. Someone Else Silver badge
          Pint

@ bombastic bob -- Re: is there a comprehensive list of cockups?

Damn, I wish i could upvote you more that once...or buy you a round

2. WolfFan Silver badge

So yeah, Micro-shaft "listened" during the insider program. They listened to people who SAID! WHATEVER! THEY! WANTED! TO! HEAR!!! And ignored the rest of us.

Bloody hell, Microsoft's got me agreeing with Bombastic Bob! I'll never live it down.

3. ADRM

Ever heard of the Windows insider program?

I was there too. My suggestions of Aero and a basic Windows 2000 mode for lab computers was ignored. I was also at 10 forums too. I gave up even trying to get some sense into the fanboiz. So what do we have, a product that is universally loathed by users and technical support alike. Only the fanboiz swooning over every new build sent there way.

Me I am on Windows 7 Ultimate and I have 10 on several virtual machines. My wife's work computer failed and was replaced with a 10 Pro machine. So I have been helping her navigate the settings for single click and so on. Why has all this been moved around she asked? I have no idea. I don't care now either. Sooner or later Windows will have to change or die. Which will it be?

3. Captain DaFt

"How exactly didn't they listen to their customers...every heard of the Windows insider program."

It's just a modern version of the old corporate suggestion box.

Only difference is this one dumps to /null instead of a waste bin.

4. WolfFan Silver badge

How exactly didn't they listen to their customers...every heard of the Windows insider program.

Bloody hell. Whatever Microsoft is paying you to act the fool, it's not enough.

I was an 'insider' since the 'Insider Program' started. Before that I was on the Win 8 beta test. I screamed long and loud during the Win 8 beta about how much I hated, hated, HATED the damn tiles. I screamed long and loud about how I would really, really, REALLY rather have a start menu. I screamed long and loud about how I thought that Aero was much superior to Modern/Metro/whatever they ended up calling it. Not only did they ignore me, they deleted most of my posts and banned me from making new ones. I did not use Win 8 on any of my systems. Win 8.1 got limited use. Very limited.

Somehow the idiots in charge at Microsoft forgot what I'd done with the Win 8 beta and didn't merely let me into the Win 10 beta, they specifically emailed me an invite. They swore that they were going to listen to the Voice Of The People this time, that they'd learned their lesson. They lied their little pink asses off, of course. Again they did not listen to any criticism. Again they shipped a glorious cockup which could have been avoided if they'd actually listened. I stopped posting after the first few times my posts were, again, deleted. They still send me notifications, even though I've turned off all the 'Insider' settings I could find. Only two of my systems run Win 10, and one of those is a VM on a Mac. I am, as I type this right now, downloading the latest version of 64-bit Linux Mint. Only two of the apps I must use are not available on either Mac or Linux. Both run fine on Win 7. I will install Mint on the assorted Windows desktops which don't need to use those apps and put on Linux apps which give me the functionality that I need, or I will replace the (mostly aging and due for replacement anyway) machines which need an app available on OS X but not on Linux with Macs (Mac minis, mostly) as necessary. I give up. I really do. I've been using Microsoft-based systems since 1981. The only way that I'll still be using a Microsoft-based system this time next year would be that I can't find a replacement for those last two apps.

Congratulations, Microsoft. You have succeeded in doing what Apple's marketing people could not manage: you have succeeded in making me do a mass replacement of Windows-based systems with Macs. And some Linux.

Bloody idiots.

1. TVU Silver badge

"Both run fine on Win 7. I will install Mint on the assorted Windows desktops which don't need to use those apps and put on Linux apps which give me the functionality that I need, or I will replace the (mostly aging and due for replacement anyway) machines which need an app available on OS X but not on Linux with Macs (Mac minis, mostly) as necessary".

I'd suggest leaving either one PC on Win 7 or do a dual boot with Linux. Another thing to try to see if Play on Linux/Wine, or the paid-for CrossOver, can run your essential software on Linux.

It's quite clear that the Insider Program testers who have posted in this thread have been harassed and ignored for making what are reasonable and constructive suggestions. That is an insane and counterproductive thing to do and the resulting flawed Windows 10 will only help to alienate home and small business users of Windows 10 - cue greater uptake of OS X, Linux and Chrome OS.

1. doke

I would suggest VirtualBox, VMplayer, or something similar, to run windows VMs as guests on your Linux system. You can snapshot the windows image, and back out when it eats itself. It gives windows a simpler, virtual, "hardware" platform with more common drivers. It lets you sharply limit access to attached devices. For example, you can explicitly list which USB devices the VM can see. I have two of these guest VMs, one for each windows only software application I still need. Keeping them separate also keeps the apps from fighting over DLLs.

9. a_yank_lurker

Not yet and may be never.

2. frank ly

I remember

Plugging an empty USB-SD card reader into a Win 2K laptop and getting BSOD every time I did that. I learned to remember to put an SD card in before trying that. There always seems to be something that makes it flip in some way.

1. Stoneshop
      Mushroom

Re: I remember

Plugging in an ODS-2 formatted USB stick bluescreens W7, IIRC XP did a hard reset immediately.

Given the degradation from W7 to W10, I won't be surprised if the system explodes after scribbling PANICPANICPANIC all over the disk.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like