back to article Mars to get Chinese delivery. Estimated time of arrival: 2020

The Chinese space program has taken a massive step forward as the country unveiled its design for a rover to scoot across the surface of Mars. The mission to the Red Planet will see the rover launched on a Long March-5 carrier rocket from the Wenchang Satellite Launch Center in China's Hainan province. It is scheduled to land …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Uh oh ..

.. long distance Robotwars.

Someone better tells Dara Ó Briain, Angela Scanlon and Jonathan Pearce..

2. Paul Woodhouse

huoxingzhehuoxingmian???

3. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge

Now children, share nicely...

So will NASA be allowed to share its toys, experience, or will China be forced to reinvent the wheel here...?

Does look suspiciously like the Curiosity rover though... I'm sure that's purely coincidence of essential design features rather than a straight copy.

4. Lars Silver badge
    Joke

More like

Red China leaves Blue Planet than Red China meets Red Planet in that pic.

5. phuzz Silver badge

"The challenges we face are unprecedented,"

Not really mate, they're the same challenges every other Mars lander has had to put up with.

I assume there was more to that quote along the lines of "unprecedented...in our space program", which is true, a Mars lander is a long march big leap forward for China, and good luck to them says I.

6. Yesnomaybe

Would be nice if they sent it near enough to the north pole to get to check out some of the ice.

1. Youngone Silver badge

Co-operation

I was wondering if the Chinese might have a quiet word with other interested parties and divide Mars up. Not in a land-grabby way, but just so that they're not all looking in the same places.

I'd like to think so anyway.

2. IT Poser

Would be nice if they sent it near enough to the north pole

You mean like this one?

http://mars.nasa.gov/msp98/lander/

http://science.nasa.gov/missions/mars-polar-lander/

Solar power is not optimal for polar landers do to a thing called winter. Our recent rovers have been sent to areas where initial colonization is more likely.

7. darco

Please consider changing the title

I realize this is not going to be a popular opinion, but I feel that the title of this article is inappropriate. It is culturally insensitive at best.

1. Ru'

Re: Please consider changing the title

Care to explain exactly why it's inappropriate, or did they change it already and now it's OK? Or are you just offended and therefore think it's down to others to un-offend you?

1. darco

I'm not offended.

I feel it is borderline inappropriate because it associates a Chinese mission to Mars with Chinese food delivery. I'll admit it is a clever title, but I feel like it degrades the efforts of China by associating this goal with something that actually has nothing to do with China and is very low-skill.

Different perspective: if it were an American mars lander, the title "Mars to get American Delivery: Arrival time 2020" would be technically accurate but rather puzzling—unless the thing you happened to associate with "American" was the delivery of American-ish food you ordered over the phone.

I know many people will read the title and not have a problem with it. But it makes me feel icky. If it doesn't make you feel icky, then that's fine. It is a matter of opinion.

1. Nightkiller

Icky?

Try Scratchy.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"if it were an American mars lander" it might have said "invasion" rather than delivery.

Not sure if these are ordered over the phone these days though.

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

it is quite pathetic and childish though, resorting to the old racial stereotypes. I mean, the Chinese are known for a lot of things, but it seems in Britain, takeaways will always be first and foremost. And that's pretty sad.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Depends what time of year it is.

If it is around 5th November, gunpowder and fireworks come more to the fore.

I am glad they use the old racial stereotypes. I can the go, stereotype, don't take seriously. However, if they start dropping new racial stereotypes, then I am going to get confused and think they really are racist..

2. DasWezel

A rover, built in China (by the Chinese) is being delivered to Mars. Nope, I'd say that's about an appropriate a headline as El Reg does. Quite how it's culturally insensitive is beyond me. If it is genuinely offensive to Chinese readers, then sure, by all means reword it.

Out of curiousity, what title would not cause you to become culturally sensitised?

1. darco

Since you asked, "Mars to get Chinese rover. Estimated time of arrival: 2020"

It's even more descriptive than the original.

1. emess
          Pint

I think I'll take exception to the use of the word 'rover' because it's Friday.

late 14c., "sea-robber, pirate," from Middle Dutch rover "robber, predator, plunderer," especially in zeerovere "pirate," literally "sea-robber," from roven "to rob," from Middle Dutch roof "spoil, plunder," related to Old English reaf "spoil, plunder," reafian "to reave" (see reave (v.)). (http://etymonline.com)

2. Mark 85

If someone didn't get offended by El Reg everyday, then they did fail. Just my opinion.

3. Nightkiller

So what? You rule the world or something?

4. Tim Seventh
      Facepalm

"Mars to get McDonald delivery. Estimated time of arrival: 2020"

What, you calling Americans lazy and only eat McDonalds on Mars? Racist

"Mars to get Ramen delivery. Estimated time of arrival: 2020"

What, now you serve Japanese first with no fresh sushi? Racist

"Mars to get lemon delivery. Estimated time of arrival: 2020"

What, now you're giving me lemon? "I don't want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these?"

"Mars to get face palm delivery. Estimated time of arrival: 2020"

^ #AppropriateTitle /sarcasm /Everyone'sALittleBitRacist

5. Alister

I'll have a 27, a 43, two 19s, a plain Chow Mein and 3 boiled rice please.

8. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

*pulls out wand*

Unoffendio!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like