back to article Sex ban IT man loses appeal – but judge labels order 'unpoliceable'

Former IT contractor John O'Neill has lost his appeal against the Sexual Risk Order imposed on him last year – but the judge said the 24 hours' notice he had to give police in advance of having sex was “unpoliceable”. District Judge Adrian Lower, sitting at York Magistrates' Court on Friday, refused to discharge the order …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thin

end of a wedge this little fiasco.

Get ready for more of this as EVERYONE must be GUILTY of something and in order to get you on that fucking database they all want, they will go to just about any lengths to include everyone they can with or without solid, incontrovertible evidence.

1. Triggerfish

Re: Thin

Y'know I was going to reply to this with there will be plenty of people who think it's fine not really getting the ramifictions.

Watch this comment thread.

2. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: Thin

Bad news, you are already on that database. What they really want is to put you on double secret probation.

2. hplasm
    Terminator

I'm the law in this here town, boy.

*spit* ding.

1. Kane

Re: I'm the law in this here town, boy.

In town you're the law, out here it's me.

1. Bernard M. Orwell

Re: I'm the law in this here town, boy.

There is no Justice, There's Just Us.

3. Naughtyhorse

downvote here

So we wait until he kills someone?

ok

I know im in the minority here... but fuckit!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: downvote here

Most sexual abuse is carried by someone known to the victim.

Therefore impose this to everyone that has contact with another person....just in case.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Too lax. You should be born on the list and only struck off and pardoned if you die a virgin or lop your own cock off.

Anyone convicted of an offense should be highlighted in bold.

Anyone with a beard and glasses should be in italic.

Anyone that works for the BBC should go on their own list which will be left alone for 30 years.

Anyone that wears a tracksuit, smokes cigars and drives a gold bentley should go on a pre-order list for a cardboard headstone to save on destruction costs when they're outed.

2. Justicesays

"so do we wait until he kills someone?"

No, we have this process where we arrest the guy, have this thing called a "trial" where the people who think he should be in jail try to convince a jury of that, and if they cant then they let him go.

Maybe you have heard of this system, it's called "justice"

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Maybe you have heard of this system, it's called a trial. FTFY

There was no justice here.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"so do we wait until he kills someone?"

We do with people driving cars so what's different?

everyone's a potential killer

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Maybe you have heard of this system, it's called 'justice'" It may be called the justice system but it is fallible. The level of proof required for a conviction is quite high. Which means that some guilty people are found not guilty. The victims in those cases will probably tell you they have not received justice.

There is always going to be trade off between finding people who have committed a crime 'not guilty' and stopping innocent people from being convicted. It seems that currently the balance is set so that few innocents are convicted which means quite a few guilty are found not guilty. I think many/most people agree that this is an appropriate balance.

Unfortunately some crimes are committed and there is little if any evidence.

This case certainly seems a worrying precedence. I wonder if we were in court at the original trial or on the jury what we'd think of the court Order.

n.b. In Scotland you can have verdicts of Not Guilty, Guilty and Not Proven!

3. Richard 81

"I know im in the minority"

Thank god for that.

4. foo_bar_baz
      Holmes

Precrime doesn't exist yet.

1. Raumkraut

Actualy, yes, it does. However, it doesn't appear to be working too well as of yet: Chicago’s predictive policing tool just failed a major test

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Precrime kind of exists.

Various police departments have found that by predicting where trouble is most likely to happen and putting patrols in that area at that time, it generally doesn't. Just the presence of police is enough to disrupt criminal behaviour in most cases

Unfortunately this doesn't get recorded as arrests so isn't called a success by politicians who "must get tough on crime"

1. Alan W. Rateliff, II
            Trollface

This approach of community policing is generally considered to be racist.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

As far as the police farce force service are concerned it does.

3. RealityisntReal

Actually it does, at least to a certain extent. There are multiple versions of "conspiracy" crimes. By definition it criminalizes the act of you thinking about and preparing to commit a crime before you actually do it. The problem as far as the cops are concerned (not anyone interested in individual rights and justice) is that it is very hard to get a conviction from a jury when trying someone for conspiracy. Seems to me this SRO stuff you have in Britain is an end run around your individual rights protections.

1. Simon Harris

Don't conspiracy crimes generally have more than one defendant?

1. P. Lee

>Don't conspiracy crimes generally have more than one defendant?

Or at least some, er, conspiracy. i.e. some active planning & preparation. I'm not sure just having thoughts about things which are illegal is illegal.

Who hasn't had a violent fantasy about the person in front of them doing 20 below the limit in the outside lane?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The problem as far as the cops are concerned (not anyone interested in individual rights and justice) is that it is very hard to get a conviction from a jury when trying someone for conspiracy."

However the police do find it useful to do a "fishing expedition" by arresting someone "on suspicion of conspiracy to...". They hope the search that the arrest enables will find some evidence of real crime. This can happen if you have a social connection to a suspect in an investigation that is going nowhere. If they find nothing then they don't proceed to a charge for the purported conspiracy.

Any proven conspiracy offence used to be regarded extremely seriously by the courts - irrespective of what the conspiracy was supposed to be about. IIRC before the Blair government made everything an "arrestable" offence - the "suspicion of conspiracy to..." was a safe way to make an arrest of apparently innocent people.

5. David Webb

So we wait until he kills someone?

Yes, we do have to wait. We have this wonderful thing called "the law" which is designed to punish people for doing stuff wrong, like installing windows Vista on their aunts laptop. We have police officers who are a deterrent to people who want to break the law, we also have punishment as a deterrent for people (and if they break the law, as a punishment).

What we have here is a case of a man who has not broken any laws, sure, he may be a bit of a weirdo, but being weird is not against the law. We cannot punish him for not breaking the law. Sure, if there was a major chance he was going to break the law, we could arrest him and charge him, but we're not, we're just punishing him for a crime he has not done, and that is wrong.

If they think he is dangerous enough to warrant some kind of supervision, then he needs to be tried under the law so that he could have the ability in court to present his case with the law presenting their case and a verdict reached, not this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"If they think he is dangerous enough to warrant some kind of supervision, then he needs to be tried under the law so that he could have the ability in court to present his case with the law presenting their case and a verdict reached, not this."

While this action started from the position of him being under the order - Is that not what has just happened?

2. Stork Silver badge

In addition to David Webb's comment, I assume it is also possible under EnglishAndWelsh law to have someone declared insane and put in detention as a danger to himself and others. Again, for good reasons, this is not something the police just does.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

So, we have to wait until Naughtyhorse actually seizes power and imposes a dictatorship before we lynch him in the street for his pro-fascist post?

Oh well, I guess it's the price of justice...

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Precrime is now a thing.

A commentard called Naughtyhorse demands it!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Precrime is now a thing.

And this is new? What about IRA internment? Guantanamo bay? Control orders?

Mind you, as Sideshow Bob said:

> I am presently incarcerated, imprisoned for a crime I did not even commit. "Attempted murder" - now honestly, did they ever give anyone a Nobel prize for "attempted chemistry?"

7. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> So we wait until he kills someone?

No. You fucking jail everyone just in case.

More helpfully to you, I hope: in the event that a person may be considered a risk to himself or the community at large, that's were social services get involved. Police is supposed to be a last resort, not the very first stop.

1. JohnMurray

They downsized social services some years ago.

The police are always moaning that they are now social workers as well as law enforcers.

The discharge provisions are what you should look at: The court cannot discharge the order. It can only be discharged by agreement between the person AND the police,or by the police. Not the court who imposed it, without police consent.

And while he has committed no offence, breach of the order is an offence and carries a custodial sentence.

8. Preston Munchensonton
      Coat

downvote here

Thanks for the target. Certainly made it easier having a big, friendly label on your post.

9. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

@Naughty

"So we wait until he kills someone?"

Have you actually read the article and the linked articles?

What has happened here is that this guy confessed to his GP (General Practitioner, so his doctor (as a non-English speaker I actually had to look this up)) about his wild sexual fantasies and that he wasn't too sure that he didn't rape someone. Basically: during the past 12 months he never really asked his girlfriend(s?) if they agreed. So his doctor reported him.

Then it got out that he does show some odd behaviour. Even getting into fights himself (it is unspecified if this is with males or females) and taking some things to extremes. So you won't hear me say that everything is totally normal here.

However...

He was tried and I'm pretty sure that his girlfriends were also part of that trial. Surely that would be the best evidence they had against him? But even despite all that a jury cleared him of all charges. Now, take note: they cleared him while he himself was the one who brought it all up: he wasn't sure the sex was consensual.

And after that it was the Judge who suddenly started the hate campaign; stating how this guy was a very dangerous man in his eyes.

Here is my problem with the whole thing: for all I know that judge could be someone who totally despises SM or any forms of kinky sex. Either because he's just disgusted with it, or because of other personal issues he has with it (religion?). Leading up to this guy getting convicted merely because 1 individual considers him dangerous, even though all the evidence in the trial itself has been taken into account by a jury and they still acquitted him.

Do you honestly call that justice?

Let's also not forget that it was he himself who sought help in the first place! Instead of trying to help him his doctor apparently called the cops on him. So here's my real problem: what if all this drives him over the edge and things go downhill from here? Do you honestly believe that he'll ever try to seek medical help again?

And who's fault would that be, hmm? Once again: he fessed up himself! So he has a clear understanding of right and wrong in my opinion and better yet: also acted on it! As a result he gets condemned without proper evidence because of one man.

This is a witch hunt in my opinion.

10. fishbone

I've considered myself a responsible anarchist who was capable and ready to perform acts so desperately needed for society to prune the gene pool, that said this set of circumstances will demand I abandon that concept. This is not the gentleman who I want as a neighbor but if he hasn't been convicted leave'm alone till you have. More like it's time to weed put the "you wouldn't be here if you hadn't done something" mentality.

4. Jedit Silver badge
    Mushroom

"Judge Dredd was a comic strip"

Minor pedant: Judge Dredd IS a comic strip.

(Apocalypse War, because I'm getting my retaliation against East Reg One in first.)

1. BebopWeBop
      Trollface

Re: "Judge Dredd was a comic strip"

Re-Pedanting: and at least two films. They might be painful to remember they exist, but if you wish to be pedantic....

1. sabroni Silver badge

Re: They might be painful to remember they exist

Only the Stallone one is a painful memory. The recent one is much more Dreddlike, he doesn't snog Anderson for a start!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The recent one is much more Dreddlike, he doesn't snog Anderson for a start!"

Or remove his helmet...

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

OFF TOPIC: But DREDD was brilliant.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

The recent Karl Urban one was very good, but we only saw a bit of MegaCity One - and other than him passing Anderson's probation, it was presented as being just another day for Dredd. A great shame that no sequels are planned, though Karl Urban is keen - even suggesting that he could do one in a decade or two, portraying different parts of Dredd's career.

The Stallone film, whilst blaspheming, is worth watching for the production design and more ambitious scope - we go to Cursed Earth, even if its poorly realised. Stallone has since apologised for not making the film as it should have been.

Still, we'll always have RoboCop (emotionless lawman in a satirised world), and Dirty Harry (Clint being an influence on Dredd)

1. Suricou Raven

Have you seen the new RoboCop remake though?

It's not *bad*, but... it's just not RoboCop.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

You're quite right, its not bad, its an utter fucking travesty...

2. Nolveys

Only the Stallone one is a painful memory.

I AM DA WRAW!

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

The only thing I didn't like about DREDD was when they stuck in the scenes made for 3rd.

2. captain veg Silver badge

And a reggae singer from Snodland.

-A.

3. Oengus

"Judge Dredd was a comic strip, not a utopian dream for all mankind."

Judge Dredd was a comic strip, not a textbook or implementation manual.

5. horsham_sparky
    Big Brother

Medical treatment?

what's not mentioned here is that the guy went to his GP.. was he looking for treatment? why else would he tell these things to his GP?

It sounds like this guy needs treatment more than court orders, that's far more likely to end up with the right result of preventing him from raping/abusing women. Frankly how would a court order achieve that? if he were so inclined he could ignore the court order completely and go where his fantasies take him.

The law in this country seems to be skewed to devastating an accused persons life before any evidence is produced or proven in a court of law. Punish first, ask questions later mentality seems to prevail..

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Re: Medical treatment?

"The law in this country seems to be skewed to devastating an accused persons life before any evidence is produced or proven in a court of law. Punish first, ask questions later mentality seems to prevail.."

It does now. Quite some time ago it was the case that newspapers etc did not dare to publish information about a court case prior to it being heard in court for fear of the courts dragging the newspaper in for contempt of court, as the courts seemed to be of the opinion that they decided who was innocent or guilty, not a court of public opinion which has been given a story by one half of a case, without perhaps having the facts.

If courts started dragging editors in for contempt of court again then it'd change pretty switftly.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why did the medical staff snitch?

No patient confidentiality? I know he was having violent 'fantasies' but all this does is turn people away from even admitting that to someone.

What if he wanted help? He gets stitched up for doing the right thing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why did the medical staff snitch?

I agree, but I think the fact he thought he "may" of raped someone means the GP has a duty to report.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like