back to article Monitoring software dev ordered to face wiretapping suit

The developer of a monitoring app has been ordered to face a civil wiretapping suit in the US. A ruling [PDF] from the US Sixth District Court of Appeals has overturned the previous dismissal of a suit against Awareness Technologies for violating portions of the US Wiretap Act on illegally intercepting and advertising wiretap …

1. Sebastian A

Got busted by the hubby tryin'a get yo dick wet in his girl? Lawsuit time!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The NSA also logged this conversation.

3. jake Silver badge

I keep an eye on my multi-user system logs.

Am I wiretapping?

1. Elf

Re: I keep an eye on my multi-user system logs.

Yes, but we're SysAdmins ...

1. We are natural voyeurs (after reading logs for so long, tell me you're not) and users always find the best pr0n.

2. We *ahem* "Just Happen To Be In Possession Of A Wiretap Device" (I like that judge, made me smile) so we're only minor Scum as he sees it. That's the nicest thing anyone has said all year.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm a tad confused. Isn't this the equivalent of sueing the manufacturer of a tape recorder because I recorded a convo? Sueing Google because I uploaded a transcript of our conversation?

If Joseph Zang is the one who setup this software, it is Zang who performed the "unauthorized and illegal interception" of the communication, but then there's intent - this software is intended for monitoring employees/children - do they have kids?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like