back to article Oh dear, Xiaomi: '$46bn' winner's phone shipments tumble 38%

Only nine months ago China’s Xiaomi was being touted as “the next Samsung” - a consumer electronics giant with the breadth and ambition to create platforms or "ecosystems". The markets valued Xiaomi at an astronomical $46bn, twice the valuation of BAE. But this year, Xiaomi forgot to do something quite basic: sell enough phones …

1. Graham Lockley

>Who are Honor people? They try and wear a flower in their own hair. They are young people

Oh dear, better sell my Honor 7 then. Damn good phone but I'm clearly to old for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The problem is the ex Samsung guy at the top.

He has ditched everything that we customers bought Xiaomi for, in favour of gimmicks and trendy looks.

Gone (for the last two generations of the HongMi Note), are the microSD card slot and the removable battery; and in comes, thinner cases, thumb print scanners and much higher prices.

Put these back in NEXT years model, along with a better camera & lens - and I will think about buying it.

I know it is not just me, there has been a lot of grumbling in the Mi forums.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"an astronomical $46bn, bigger than Oracle or Coca Cola"

What? You might want to Google Finance those companies. Oracle is worth about $170b and Coca Cola is worth about $190b.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like