back to article Some Windows 10 Anniversary Update: SSD freeze

Windows 10 Anniversary Update is crashing on some PCs employing a solid-state drive. The Anniversary operating system is understood to be freezing PCs where Windows 10 is stored on the SSD, but apps and data are on a separate drive. A Microsoftie writing on answers.microsoft.com reckons the software giant is now investigating …

Page:

1. wolfetone Silver badge
    Facepalm

Wow.

Even Windows ME was never this bad.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow.

They say time is a great healer... but even so.

Just no!

1. TRT Silver badge

Time went bust in 2005, didn't it?

2. fidodogbreath

They say time is a great healer

Time wounds all heels.

2. Novex
      Facepalm

Yep. Glad I'm on Win7 / Linux Mint.

So, in answer to the problems coming down the pipe with forced updates: "I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago."

1. paulf
        Joke

@Novex "I refer the honourable gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago."

"I note Microsoft's attitude to how well my machine works will be governed by the nature of my interest in taking forced updates without question and would therefore be grateful if you would inform me what Microsoft's attitude to forced updates would be, were they to learn that the nature of my reply is as follows: fuck off."

With apologies to Arkell v. Pressdram

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I had plenty of fond memories of Windows ME. Granted, I was also running Win 98 SE concurrently.

But Windows ME was slightly better when it comes to memory management. Never had a Win ME crash due to driver/OS problems.

WinXP was a security nightmare until SP2 was released.

What is Windows 10? A data mining platform and a half-hearted attempt from Microsoft to grow mobile market share through leveraging its desktop monopoly.

Windows 10 = Windows 8 SP2.

1. Captain Scarlet

"But Windows ME was slightly better when it comes to memory management"

Only with the full 512MB of memory, with 128MB it was much worse than Windows 98

2. fidodogbreath

I had plenty of fond memories of Windows ME.

It's rare to encounter a truly original sentence; one that conveys a concept that has never been uttered (or even thought of) before.

Well done, sirrah. Well, done.

3. Ropewash

"I had plenty of fond memories of Windows ME."

Thanks to those bastards at futabachannel I have an unintended soft spot for the poor, useless thing myself.

http://ultrx.net/books/os-tan/downloads/me/me/me-tan070.jpg

or for those who can read moonrunes

http://ultrx.net/books/os-tan/downloads/me/me/me-tan068.jpg

Yes, I still do have my disk.

4. kb
        WTF?

Hey! Don't insult Windows 8 like that, you can grab a copy of Windows 8, slap Classic Shell on it, block the telemetry backports and voila! A usable useful OS!

Windows 10? Its a broken alpha quality at best OS that only exists because Nutella is trying to badly ape Google the way the Ballmernator tried to badly ape Apple iOS with Windows 8.

BTW if you want to know why Windows 10 is such a giant POS? Look up Banacles Nerdgasm's channel on YouTube and watch his "I was fired" video...he was part of the tester team and says they were ALL fired, all the testers and ALL of the QA team were given their walking papers...why? Because YOU are the new beta testers, with the handful that run Insider the alpha testers. This is why you can't stop updates but the Enterprise customers can, you gotta "do your job" and deal with all those OS breaking bugs so the actual customers don't get the shitty product you did...nice huh?

So all of you that buy new PCs with Win 10 Home or Pro? Yeah you are paying to not only give your data to MSFT but to be a beta tester on an OS who had very little alpha testing since of course very few run Insider edition. Great for MSFT, sucks to be you.

4. bazza Silver badge

This is they've got having skipped Windows 9 as an official version number. Going even, again, was bound to invite trouble...

1. wolfetone Silver badge

That had more to do with legacy software than even numbers.

2. Wayland

Re: Wow. Going even again

It used to be that Windows version went good - bad - good - bad

98 good, ME- bad, XP good, Vista Bad, Win7 good, Win 8 bad, Win 8.1 Good, so the next one is bad even if they skip Win 9 and call it Win 10.

However Windows 7 is the pinnacle of windows and it has been gowning down hill since then.

Windows 8.1 is better than 8 but nothing is better than 7. OK 7 is a bit bloaty and 8.1 is lighter but then it's missing loads of stuff.

3. Bernard M. Orwell

"This is they've got having skipped Windows 9 as an official version number. Going even, again, was bound to invite trouble..."

yeah, we all remember the debacle that was Windows 6.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's weird... my Chromebook version of Windows is working fine.

1. VinceLortho
        Linux

Now that you mention it, I've not had issues with the Debian Linux version of Widows either.

6. Tim Seventh
      Joke

Well I turned on telemetry before the update, I'm sure ms got this fix coming.

Now I'll wait in front of the frozen Windows for the auto update fix. Any time now...

Worst comes to worst, I'll just tell my boss my word document report will be delayed indefinitely and it will take the next update for me to read the outlook emails he sent. I'm sure he will understand.

/joke

2. BobChip
    Linux

Leaving Microsoft

Why on earth did I abandon M$ all these years ago? What was I smoking back then? Think of all the fun I could have had sorting out borked machines..... Ah well, it is too late to go back now.......

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Linux

Re: Leaving Microsoft

the choir says "amen" and thanks for the sermon.

1. Triggerfish

I tried abaonding MS, AUTOCAD didn't like Linux, but with Win10 coming along, and many many Linux people on here, has it got better? Last time I looked I it wasn't running well under WINE.

1. Hans 1
          Happy

> Last time I looked I it wasn't running well under WINE.

Try Play on Linux ... a wine management gui thingy that not only allows you to install all the necessary runtimes but also allows you to select a wine version which it will download and install for you ... it will be installed alongside any other wine version you have, no worries ... and have bottles ... a bit like CrossOver Offce ... I tried desperately to get Sims 4 working on Crossover ... worked out of the box with play on linux ... I know, Sims 4 is not the same beast ... PoL is for graphics-intensive stuff ... which autocad is, I guess? (lol)

AutoCAD is the best, is it not ? Show us, prove it to us, Autodesk, release a Linux version.

2. Wayland

Re: Leaving Microsoft -AUTOCAD

It is the heavy hitting applications like AutoCAD that keep Windows in business. Web browsing and word processing are fine on Linux for most people. I develop MS Access applications for my customers. Yes obviously there are languages and development environments which would produce a slicker result but with a great deal more work. When a tool is right for the job it's difficult to switch to a less suitable tool. Windows is a pain but whilst Windows 7 still works I will stick with it. I keep eyeing Linux for the desktop though.

2. ColonelDare
      Headmaster

I just up-voted BobChip, a fellow after my own heart. I used to teach IT and Computing at a college that was solely M$ Office/VBA based, meaning students couldn't do their project assignments as homework unless they they (or Mum/Dad) bought proprietary M$ software.

In 2008 I walked out disgusted and disillusioned with the ethos, the syllabus and derived schemes of work.

I vowed never to use M$ software again, and happily I haven't! :-)

1. AndrewDu

"students couldn't do their project assignments as homework unless they they bought proprietary M$ software."

Actually, most MS licencing schemes allow you to install the software on a home device as well. Sometimes more than one.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: most MS licencing schemes allow you to install the software on a home device as well

A trouble shared...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: most MS licencing schemes allow you to install the software on a home device as well

"A trouble shared..."

...is a trouble doubled?

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Actually, most MS licensing schemes scams

FIFY

3. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Thankyou AndrewDu ...

... for offering to install your MS software on the home device of anyone who needs it to do their homework. Isn't it generous of Microsoft to allow this in their terms and conditions. But what happens when students complete their course? Can they continue with the licensed copy you installed, or do they have to pay a monthly fee / answer questions on the adverts to use the skills they have learned?

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Thankyou AndrewDu ...

It looks licensing is an unknown realm for most user, probably too used to wharez to understand it.

Some enterprise licensing scheme also allows a user to install the software at home (so it keeps people using the same, and company likes it so they can work off-hour too), but usually on one PC only. These are not educational licenses, and are valid as long as you are employed in a company using those licenses.

Educational licenses of course expire when your education period is over. They are usually very cheap and let you access a lot of software. Then you have to move to other licenses - why you should not? Do you still expect pocket money from your parents?

1. PNGuinn
              Boffin

Re: Thankyou AndrewDu ...

"Educational licenses of course expire when your education period is over"

"Educational licenses of course expire when your indoctrination period is over"

There, FIFY.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I hate to break it to you but the reason openoffice hasn't gained much ground is because MS office is just a whole lot better.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

It helps to compare MSOffice at least to LibreOffice 5 (a fork of openoffice) when comparing the two, otherwise you just look stupid. LibreOffice 5 covers most user bases today and is cetainly as good as the iOS, Android mobile versions of MSOffice, given both MS mobile versions lack the 'full fat' MSOffice features of VBA.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
              Facepalm

"LibreOffice 5 covers most user bases today and is cetainly as good as the iOS, Android mobile versions of MSOffice, given both MS mobile versions lack the 'full fat' MSOffice features of VBA."

VBA is _HIGHLY_ overrated. It's also a huge security problem. Python and/or Perl would be better. not sure if Libre/Open office has a Python or Perl interface available though. (do they?)

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Libre/Open office has a Python or Perl interface available though. (do they?)

Python is directly supported - click the link.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I hate to break it to you but the reason openoffice hasn't gained much ground"

I'm surprised to discover how many firends and acquaintances, despite being on Windows, use Open- or LibreOffice. Add to that those who've also given up on Windows as a bad job.

So, and I'm not at all bothered by doing so, I have to break it to you that maybe the pair have gained more ground than you think.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

That is because of the circles you are in, not because of widespread adoptance. Whatever it is branded as this week, it doesn't even meet basic features and that is when you can get it to interoperate with other business users. Eg. we had to resort to Excel because LibreOffice couldn't do basic sorting and filtering of data correctly for certain sets of data.

3. MJI Silver badge

Re: Leaving Microsoft MS Orifice

I (sort of use) MS Office at work, no idea what version as there is no help about (but dated 2015), it has a square ribbon style menu and I hardly use it (rarely write documents), the email client (Outlook) is pretty shonky and the diary loses appointments including the most important ones of the lot.

MY HOLIDAY

To be honest it is a pretty horrible to use of software, new email doesn't, it just sets focus, it will not let me type stuff in and use basic formatting.

But worst of all to me are the icons on the task bar, they are all too similar and outlook looks very much like Teamviewer to me (blue with white circle). So I clck omn looking for an email and find a PC I was connected to.

I have the last File Edit office at home (only use Word) and that is good enough for me, but I have used Libre office and would recommend it.

Anyway on my start menu it says Office 2013 and is full of things I never use, Access* (my cards are all Mastercard or Visa). Excel (the CSV Viewer), Infopath*, OneDrive*, OneNote*, Powerpoint (I prefer PL10s), Publisher*, Skype, Word.

* No idea what they are.

But do we need these tools?

I wonder>

I can knock up basic HTML which I use for any internal documentation, I still do not know what a spreadsheet can that a small self written program cannot do.

And we all hate Outlook in the office.

However I am in the sad situation that the languages I know best are running on MS environments, I have managed to get my IDE up and running in WINE but a few DLLS still preclude the executable.

The question is can I make Win 7 last until retirement?

Oh and we are investigating moving to another email and calendar system. we may even just give up and write our own calendar, it cannot be that difficult.

1. jinx3y

Re: Leaving Microsoft MS Orifice

hate to say it this way but...here goes: you're an idiot. Outlook is far easier to comprehend than Thunderbird (as an example). You're trying to come off as some kind of tech saavy individual, but you simply sound like a 'tard, unable to make Outlook work....seriously? Every Linux zealot I know can handle Outlook (usually within the first 3 minutes....). What's wrong with you?

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

I hate to break it to you but the reason openoffice hasn't gained much ground is because MS office is just a whole lot better.

Oh hello Microsoft Marketing department, back from holiday?

First of all, the fact that you use openoffice for the statement suggests you haven't been LibreOffice 5 of late.

Secondly, the 80/20 rules comes down heavily in favour of LibreOffice - I really do not need to blow $400/seat or whatever monthly ripoff you'll charge for the online version to get basic word processing and spreadsheet work done.

Thirdly, only LibreOffice is properly ODF compliant, and as we work a lot with companies that also switch to ODF (some for the same reason as us - trust that the format of archived files will still be readable in 5 years time) it seems best to stick with it.

Fourth, MS Excel pivot tables seem to be strangely unable to work on LibreOffice, so for those that use this feature we've decided to ditch MS Office as well. As before, we want to be able to read these files in years to come.

Fifth, and probably the most problematic point for you: using LibreOffice makes our people pretty much OS independent. They can use Windows, OSX, Linux - it makes no difference in operation or page rendition. We've mostly OSX desktops, but work is underway to evaluate if we can't provide Linux desktops for admin tasks as we can lock them down for reasons of confidentiality (we can run terminals from a boot image then). As for Windows - well, no, we're no longer wasting our time on that.

5. CFWhitman

Re: most MS licencing schemes allow you to install the software...

In my experience, Microsoft licensing schemes allow members of the IT department to install the software at home as well, but not everyone on the network. There are discounted student licensing rates for those enrolled at accredited schools, but they are not completely free.

6. PNGuinn
          Facepalm

"Actually, most MS licencing schemes allow you to install the software on a home device as well. Sometimes more than one."

Which might be all fine and dandy, but NOT if you're not running (crashing?) an ms operating system.

And as far as I'm concerned Wine's for running the occasional bit of real software that has not made it to the 'Nix world usually 'cos it's an ancient bit of legacy code which would probably never run on the latest from slurp in any case.

What'd I want Clippy in ribbons for anyways?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Last time I checked, in most schools you have to buy proprietary books and other items (try an art school, for example...), some of them quite expensive - more than a student edition of some software.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Last time I checked, in most schools you have to buy proprietary books"

But books can remain useful for some time afterwards - at the very least you can sell them second hand.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Some textbooks become outdated as fast as software, it is a common practice among editors to attempt to render the second hand market useless. There may also be some devices and consumables which are not cheap at all - as said, try an art school.

You can also sell software second hand, if you own a valid license. Of course trying to resell wharez is a different thing...

That said, I appreciate the Pi effort to deliver a very cheap device for everybody. Yet in some schools they may have to teach using the software students are going to use on their job. Again, an art school that would use GIMP instead of Photoshop and Illustrator risk only to damage its students, who will be forced to re-learn the industry standard application - and here Windows machines can be cheaper than Apple ones (but some schools even suggest the latter).

Same for CAD software (engineering, architecture, etc.), for example. Who wants to start at disadvantage? Just to assert someone political beliefs?

Of course IT oriented training courses today should teach Linux also - yet the hardware and the like has not a small price... some IT books cost more than software licenses, and becomes outdated as well. And no, you can't learn from the Internet only. Too much disorganized stuff, and not rarely utterly crap copied here and there without understanding really.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"Yet in some schools they may have to teach using the software students are going to use on their job. Again, an art school that would use GIMP instead of Photoshop and Illustrator risk only to damage its students, who will be forced to re-learn the industry standard application - and here Windows machines can be cheaper than Apple ones (but some schools even suggest the latter)."

Oh, this, so much! Where industry-standard specialised software rules, especially in the creative world, knowing the software packages used is a Big Deal(TM). Some will say, 'oh, but, but... GIMP is so easy to use once you get used to it,' and they're not necessarily wrong, but they're missing the point.

A company wants to see your portfolio, but they also want to know you have knowledge in the software they use. Sure, some companies will retrain, but there are a lot of people out there that have an awesome portfolio AND know the commonly used software, whether it be Photoshop, Illustrator, Maya, ZBrush, or whatever. Good luck finding a company that uses all 'free' software.

Oops, better post anon, because I disparaged 'free' software!

1. Triggerfish

Re: Leaving Microsoft @Hans1

Cheers mate, I have had people recommend switching to other CAD packages on Linux, but I like my AutoCAD and have spent a fair while getting to know it. The fact it wouldn't run properly on Linux was a real pain and frankly a Linux killer for me. I'll give PLAY a shot.

2. Captain DaFt

"Oops, better post anon, because I disparaged 'free' software!"

Actually, the only thing you're disparaging is the corporate mindset:

"We've paid a fortune for this, and keep paying small fortunes to keep it running. It has to be superior! Our infrastructure is addicted to it!"

3. P. Lee

It depends what you think "school" is for.

Some institutions do job-skills training, in which case, go ahead with the industry standard.

Primary, secondary, and higher education are about teaching people to think, about the learning process. Industry can pay for its own training. If you're learning about light and shade at a conceptual level for graphic design or animation, you don't need to know the key-presses for a particular product and it isn't the role of educational institutions to further the business interests of a particular vendor. If vendors want to also offer students discounts, that's fine, but the educational institution should be focusing on the teaching and the learning of ideas and skills which can be applied generally.

2. Tim Seventh

Although I agree it may be better for the student not to be forced to re-learn the industry standard application, nonetheless those that cannot adopt new tools under the same fundamental concepts of the software are doom to fail.

In a few years in time, autocad alternative software will exist. In a few years in time, flash will be replace by html5 on web. In a few years in time, Photoshop will have competition for alternatives. In fact, those examples are already happening.

However, the fundamental concepts of the software remind the same. Whether it is vector drawing, scripting or pixel altering.

As long as, they are taught the concept not the procedure, they can adopt. Just like the fishing rod, if you teach them how to use a fishing rod to fish, they will only know how to fish with a fishing rod. If you teach them the concept of fishing equipment, they will know how to adopt better tools and better strategics to fish.

And for art students, if they can't do a minor photoshopping with ms paint, I consider their study incomplete. There will come one day those artists arrive with the required software missing and a deadline ahead. It will be up to them to adopt to a solution.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like