back to article Olympics bans GIFs

Sharing sporting moments at the 2016 Olympics as animated GIFs has been outlawed by the International Olympics Committee. The ban really only applies to the media, before you panic. However, we suspect that if the IOC had its way, we'd all be forbidden from tweeting or Vining animated GIFs and WebMs from the Rio games. After …

1. poohbear

Quickly...

Guess which finger I'm holding up.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

The what?

What are these "olympics" you speak of? I have not watched them since 1988 or so, and the same for all my friends. I have not seen anything other than coke cans with the rings on them in at least the past decade.

3. Number6

I have the urge to go on Twitter and use the #Rio2016 hashtag just to piss them off. Possibly with a graphic image of the middle finger.

If the IOC try to be too controlling about it all then they'll probably do more harm than good.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hate the Olympics. It's a sickening orgy of corporate censorship, corruption, and hypocrisy.

Elite sportsmanship ... sponsored by junk food industry that will rot your bloated carcass.

#Rio2016 #TeamZika

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The Olympics: Teargas the Poor, saddle Cities with decades of debt, but 'Welcome all Pro-Golfers'

The Olympics is about corporate-sponsorship, the elite, politicians, the super-rich etc. It just saddles cities with decades of debt and the poor never see any real benefits. So hey, lets Teargas them! Example: Golf and Pro-Golfers, what's that all about... Wasn't the Olympics supposed to be for amateurs anyway.... Imho the Summer X-Games feels more like an Olympics for the everyman...

1. Dominion

The 'amateur' argument is a bit bogus, but some earn a lot more than others. The IOC earning the most obviously.

1. Number6

I think it's now "you will not get paid for doing this", regardless of your day job. Once upon a time it was "you shall not receive any money from anywhere for doing this on any occasion".

6. Frank N. Stein

Really? How would the Olympic Committee like it if viewership and ratings were down for this Olympics. There are other TV channels and things to watch. They probably don't realize that.

7. Dominion

Nice to see the IOC has its finger on the pulse again. Bans gifs but allows druggies to take part. #rio #olympics #2016 #clueless

8. Chris Evans

The IOC is losing it!

I'm a great fan of most of the Olympics and was a GamesMaker at London2012. It was one of the best experiences of my life. But I do find some of the IOC's petty rules takes a bit of a shine off of it. On Sunday there was a Radio4 discussion on the Olympics and one commentator said that sports should only be included if the Olympics was the pinnacle of that sport. e.g. No Golf, Tennis or Football this makes sense to me. The purists idea that competitors should all be amateur is never going to happen and rarely happened in the past anyway. #Rio2016 Go #TeamGB

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon