back to article Got a genius enterprise tech idea? Tell the world about it

We hear plenty about genius startups that might change the way we communicate, shop, or date. We hear a lot less about the genius startups that are focused on innovating in the enterprise - you know, the place where you spend most of your lives. That’s why The Register has become the media partner for the 2016 Tech Trailblazer …

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
    FAIL

If it's software

It's not innovative.

It's just rearranging the chairs.

1. Stuart21551

Re: If it's software

"If it's software

It's not innovative."

Not necessarily.

Ric Richardson got a half a bill for some clever 'bits'.

2. Nick Kew

You've got less than 24 hours

The classic con-man line. No pressure there then.

1. RoseRoss1502

Re: You've got less than 24 hours

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Ink just dry on the deal. If it hadn't have been mentioned, it wouldn't have seemed fair either.

Best, Rose Ross (Chief Trailblazer and Founder, The Tech Trailblazers Awards)

1. Nick Kew
        Flame

Re: You've got less than 24 hours

RoseRoss, you're not damned for doing a deal with El Reg and getting them to publish. It's the timing that's an issue. If the publication date was out of your control, move the bloomin' earlybird deadline instead and you'll still come across as honest!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

"Early bird closes in 1 days"

Wow, that website's really blazing a trail with the technologies there. I feel compelled to give money in return for a vague promise of 'exposure' to a site that can't even concatenate a simple

($days != 1 ? "s" : "")

in its script.

(P.S. that one's for free guys).

1. RoseRoss1502

Re: "Early bird closes in 1 days"

Cheers Joefish. We're on it. We love a freebie too. That's why we introduced the Firestarter category. I am sure you'll be keeping us on our toes.

Best,

Rose Ross (Chief Trailblazers and Founder, The Tech Trailblazers Awards)

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Why?

Why would I do this and NOT already have the idea already going through a Patent Application?

Remember in the USofA, it is first to file. So I stand up and tell the world about my idea and bang some sharp SOB gets their patent application in before me. Naturally, I don't have the million(or two) USD it would take to fight them in the courts esp if they get the venue moved to that well known rump of Texas.

30 years ago I would not have thought twice about telling the world but now? Not a chance.

Sign of the times.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

Why would I do this and NOT already have the idea already going through a Patent Application?

Because not everything is patentable, sometimes it's just being first to market or inventing a better mousetrap. But even in that case I would agree with you, by simply looking at the judges and investors - there are so many parties there that could get away with just taking an idea and running with it without the original thinker getting a slice that I too would not be interested.

Besides, I have better connections :)

2. RoseRoss1502

Hi Steve,

Good point. We'd only want to see entrants who are out of stealth and have their IP locked down. In fairness, everyone who enters is already in the market.

But you are spot on. It is a common mistake is not to lock this down.

Best,

Rose Ross (Chief Trailblazer and founder, The Tech Trailblazers Awards)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Good point. We'd only want to see entrants who are out of stealth and have their IP locked down. In fairness, everyone who enters is already in the market.

But you are spot on. It is a common mistake is not to lock this down.

Hmm. Startups are frequently operated by business beginners, and are thus liable to make that exact mistake of being too open about their USP/IP. I would thus have expected some sort of warning or message on your site that your expectation is to be faced with IP that is already in use or locked down by some means..

3. Stuart21551

"Remember in the USofA, it is first to file"

aka 'Second to Invent', aka 'First to Steal'.

Sounds like we live in parallel universes, Steve.

Happy to be taking all my other inventions with me.

Happy to be of no further use to the planet.

Just like the patent system - since some idiot invented patent attorneys.

5. Flywheel
    Unhappy

I've had plenty of good, nay, great ideas. However, my employer has IP rights over everything I do, even in my "own" time, so nowt has seen the light of day.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

O realy?

I had an employer try that and I challenged - they backed down (and I kept my job).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

However, my employer has IP rights over everything I do, even in my "own" time, so nowt has seen the light of day.

Depending on what work you do, this may indeed be the case. However, where I joined I had previous generated IP, so I was in a better position to negotiate a contract adjustment. I understand where this normally comes from, but the IP I generate at home is not related to the day job and is as such less likely to cause the sort of conflict of interest that can make life complicated.

3. Stuart21551

Very unusual for your employer to own the rights to everything, Flywheel; usually it is only those ideas that relate to directly to your job.

"so nowt has seen the light of day"

I know where you are at.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon