back to article Brave browser lands $4.5m

The Brave web browser, developed by former head of Mozilla Brendan Eich, has received $4.5m in funding from a number of VC companies, bringing total funding to $7m. The open-source browser that promises to "fix the Web" by offering a faster, privacy-respecting experience, was released to developers back in January. It is …

1. Electron Shepherd
    Unhappy

Laudable aims, but..

... how will they split the revenue while respecting my privacy? If they truly respect my privacy, that means that no-one other than me knows what URLs my browser visits and appears on my screen, and that means they can't split the revenue based on what I downloaded and saw.

Of course, those links on the brave.com homepage to analytics.brave.com, looking suspiciously like they use the piwik analytics platform are just typos. They wouldn't possibly be tracking me themselves, would they? They wouldn't possibly be loading unnecessary JavaScript, since that slows things down, right?

As they say on their home page:

"It's amazing how fast a page loads when you strip away everything but the real content."

"At Brave, our goal is to block everything on the web that can cramp your style and compromise your privacy."

It's nice to see they are holding up those ideals themselves.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not the reason I block ads

I block ads because market failure has resulted in actual dangerous ads.

That's not getting fixed by some parasite like Adblock plus or Brave inserting themselves into the revenue stream, and creaming some off.

Hijacking, or running a protection racket is actually more sleezy than the original ads.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon