back to article Happy Sysadmin Day!

To all you systems administrators out there, wherever and whomever you are: Happy Systems Administrators Day! That's right, ladies, gentlemen and emacs users, the yearly holiday of sysadmin day is upon us! This year marks the 17th annual sysadmin day and with any luck 17-fold increase in appreciation to some of the most …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So, all sysadmins suffer from Bouchard's nodes, but only their middle fingers are affected? Strange.

2. ntevanza

Congratulations

Take the rest of the day off!

You're on call by the way.

And can you look at one small thing before you go. Probably take 5 minutes.

3. Franco

My sysadmin day present has been a flurry of emails saying this doesn't work, can you help?

This is only different from every other day by the fact that the emails are not from users, but from the junior techs. Clearly some re-education required....

1. AstroNutter

Yes, reeducation is required. This should be commenced immediately using a cattle prod. Make sure that you have more than one, so that you can be charging one up whilst using the other. If that's not an option, connecting said cattle prod to the mains shall suffice. Oh hell, just use a couple of bare wires connected to the mains.

Sysadmins should be battle hardened and so if you loose some whilst educating them it's no problem. Call it natural selection, only the best will do.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You loose some, you spell sum rite.

4. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

My day was uneventful so far... banged up some documentation, goofed off a fair while and enjoyed the day in a most relaxing manner.

1. CustardGannet
      Devil

Personally, I had a highly productive day, mostly reading El Reg. Occasionally fired off an email asking for a screenshot of the error.

Happy days !

5. GrumpenKraut
    Pint

While no more a sysadmin for a long time

-------- beer to the sysadmins of this planet ---------->

Prost!

6. Nolveys

This year marks the 17th annual sysadmin day and with any luck 17-fold increase in appreciation...

What's seventeen times zero again?

1. Sir Barry
      Pint

Calculation

Using my Casio FX-29 calculator 17 X 0 comes out at -

Sysadmin Day AND Friday, nearly beer o'clock

1. GrumpyKiwi

Re: Calculation

Hmmm, I though it came out as 58008618...

2. Disk0
      Coat

3 Olympics and one Audi...

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
      Pint

"What's seventeen times zero again?"

Same as three times zero.

1. Mystic Megabyte
        Stop

@ allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Maybe you had to be there, I'm glad that I was not.

7. Rich 11

Just got back from the pub. Wish I'd stayed there longer, but occasionally my conscience wins one.

I know. Sorry.

1. Disk0
      Joke

kzrt!...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Our sysadmins seem to have celebrated by pushing out a group policy update to all our SQL Server instances that made their firewalls stop accepting connections via the standard SQL server port.

That was a fun hour working that out! Think they had a BOFH moment...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quiet you!

If you knew the reasons why you'd be terrified. Back to your queries, SQLboy! You can whinge on DBA day.

9. Alistair
    Pint

its one of those regular fridays.

Not quite yet panic o'clock here, so the 10 phone calls and the 25 OMG ITS BORKEN FISS IT NAO emails have not yet landed.

Thanks Trevor for the reminder, the image (Shamelessly stolen), and I hope your exchange crap is done with for a while. I know O365 is being truly weird this week, so perhaps its not you.

For later this evening after the fires in the DC are out and the one on my patio is lit.

10. W4YBO

"They're similarly modest prizes, but they're made with love by our roost of tame vultures."

I've spent time with both turkey vultures and black vultures. The only things they produce is poop, puke, and little vultures. I hereby withdraw my name from consideration.

11. Elf
    Coffee/keyboard

Dunno Mates, been a satisfyingly simple day from the US Left Coast. DNS is DNSing. Nobody has backhoed a major fiber. Apache is behaving. EMail servers are without issue (which is the only part of my day making me edgy). Got two alerts in monitor but I created both of those, so, meh. Had a pint (on an AT&T ProjMan). Popped in to the cafe to get some fluids in (sans ethanol) before Friday Pints (plus ethanol) while reading "The Confusion" by Neil Stephenson. Also, I showered my baristas with love and affection because without them we couldn't actually function.

So, Huzzah to us!

** Now, could someone bloody explain to me why we do this?

1. tfewster

..explain to me why we do this?

It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

12. Gunboat Diplomat
    Joke

Are there any sysadmins left?

I thought they'd all been sent off to the El Reg DevOps re-education camps.

13. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Joke

It's all about....

SYSADMINS, SYSADMINS, SYSADMINS

<does the monkey dance>

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like