back to article Microsoft stops to smell the roses, creates the Shazam of flowers

Botanists will be positively blooming thanks to Microsoft, which has worked with a team of scientists to create a system to help flower-fanciers identify species in a snap. The Smart Flower Recognition System will help botanists stalk flowers across the world using Microsoft's blossoming library of some 2.6 million floral …

1. frank ly

You missed out ....

.... hybridisation and grafting (and probably a few more) for future development. Well done though :)

2. arctic_haze

Is there any synergy with telemetry?

Will they be able to monetize the data on the flower lovers?

3. Unep Eurobats
    Joke

Yes please

I'd also like one for trees. And an audio app for birdsong.

Even more useful would be a plant-identifier for foragers. Someone who always knows which mushrooms to eat would be a real funghi to be with. However I imagine there could be legal difficulties with that one: there'd have to be a massive disclaimer every time you used it.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Alert

Re: Yes please

"Even more useful would be a plant-identifier for foragers."

It'd need better than the claimed 90% accuracy.

4. Valeyard

There's precedent

I've already used a few apps to identify flowers in my garden, maybe not good I'm not sure, but it's not completely out-of-the-blue as apps go, always had good results with them (especially when you sprinkle boxes-o-beefriendly-wildflower seeds and want to now what some particular nice ones are)

5. IDoNotThinkSo

This isn't going to work that well (other than as a first pass) as many flowers are very similar, and a large number of plants require you to look at more than the flower to separate them.

Portable DNA sequencing is the future, and it will probably reveal all sorts of interesting data about plant sub-species and population relationships.

You can already mow a meadow, whizz up the cuttings, and identify all the plants from the juice. Great Crested Newt surveys can already be done by taking a water sample and sending it off to check for environmental newt DNA instead of (much more expensive) trapping and night-time searches.

It surely won't be that long before your smartphone (or a similar sized machine) will able to do sequencing in the field.

6. phuzz Silver badge

No need for this, my mum has a smartphone (and has some idea of how to use it!), so I just text her a picture, and within hours I get a reply telling me what kind of plant it is, how to grow it, and gossip about the latest precocious thing my niece said.

1. CustardGannet

Your Mum

...is she willing to receive unsolicited pictures* from thousands of complete strangers ?

If not, there may still be a need for this app.

* Of plants, naturally

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"parents can appear infallible to their kids,"

The problem with botany in the home is that flowers may have a universal Latin classification - but will be known by different local names. That was a good reason for scientific classification in the first place.

The binomial name "Bellis perennis" is the common daisy known by several local names even in English. A database would need to cover all a plant's name variants by country or even locality.

8. hplasm
    Devil

Worth it-

To hear Cortana sing- "Daisy, Daiiisyyy...give...mee...youuurrr..aaaannnsseerrrr,,doooooo....."

9. energystar
    Happy

MS coming back to their 'roots'...

And helping Scientists and Science fans in their way

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like