back to article AMD, Nvidia in pro GPU battle

Rival chip designers AMD and Nvidia continue to fight for dominance in the professional graphics processor market. Here's a summary of what's gone down this week: AMD is cooking up a Radeon Solid State Graphics (SSG) card that has 1TB of M.2 flash memory. It'll be powerful enough to scrub through 8K video at 90 frames per …

1. rav

Top end GPU is not realy needed, except by a very few!!!!

Extreme end GPU's are not needed by the great majority of Architecture and Engineering firms. The majority of the CAD staff are not "power users" so the majority of work can be done with a very good gaming card.

Out of a 100 seat firm it is probable that only 10 full workstations would be needed.

Don't let those workstation salesman sell you goods you do not really need.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Re: Top end GPU is not realy needed, except by a very few!!!!

I struggle to see why they need any of it for CAD. you'd think Farcry 4 would be far more demanding than a 3d redering of a house, or an engine part or whatever. especially framerate wise. But somehow pro cards cost 10x game cards

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Top end GPU is not realy needed, except by a very few!!!!

High end CAD, has a far, far higher resolution than any game. Look at the file size involved and you'll see why.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Mushroom

Pro? And AMD? In the same sentence?

Can the term "professional" actually be applied to anything AMD does, considering the quality of their drivers?

Icon for the crash & burn they usually do, especially on Windows and Linux.

3. Teiwaz

Never mind the GPus...

I'm rather excited about Prorender going OSS, as well as AMDGPU (which apparently runs atop OSS Radeon). I'm too cautious to run it on Archlinux in it's current state though.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon