back to article BOFH: Free as in free beer or... Oh. 'Free Upgrade'

"I TOLD you, I HATE working on printers!" I seethe at the Boss. "It's just a bit of configuration," he wheedles, trying to make me feel better. "It's not a bit of bloody configuration, it's translation - from IT into printer manufacturer speak." The Boss is in a pickle. The printer company cretin came crawling around and …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Written in anger?

A typo here and there suggests a degree of hidden rage being tapped...

2. Cynical Observer
    Pint

"ALIGN THE PRINTER WITH THE WORKFLOW!"....

The PFY opens the window.

I push the ladder.

I pull the ladder.

The PFY closes the window.

BOFH and PFI have mastered Feng Shui for Windows?

Either way - in recognition of the hatred of printing - on me! ----->

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Now, those printers will never get installed...

// no defenestration icon?

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge
      Coat

*THUD*

Damn forgot the windows don't open here.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Why, that's standard procedure Windows troubleshooting, isn't it?

4. Ian Bush

I sort of assumed

"I push the ladder.

I pull the ladder.

The PFY closes the window."

was some BoFH poetry form related to the haiku.

5. GrapeBunch

It's the new Open Windows Initiative that everybody's been waiting for. One of them, anyway.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Training

The BOFH need more ladder training if he needed to push AND pull the ladder to eject a Printer Rep out of a window.!

I find a swift Kick to the 3rd step usually does the trick. either that or a live mains cable hanging from the open ceiling tile.

1. Cynical Observer
      Angel

Re: Training

I find a swift Kick to the 3rd step usually does the trick

..Three steps to heaven..... there a song for that?

Singing with the bleedin' Choir Eternal .. ----->

2. theblackhand

Wasn't pulling the ladder required to retrieve the ladder sans-Printer Rep?

If you threw away your ladder everytime you disposed of a product rep, you would end up needing a ladder rep...

3. Pirate Dave Silver badge
      Pirate

" either that or a live mains cable hanging from the open ceiling tile."

Yep. I was surprised this was a ladder incident. When I got to the part of the story where the BOFH grabbed the cables the PFY was handing down from the ceiling, I expected either electrocution or hanging for the smug little printer rep. The ladder was...unexpected.

1. Number6

Yep. I was surprised this was a ladder incident. When I got to the part of the story where the BOFH grabbed the cables the PFY was handing down from the ceiling, I expected either electrocution or hanging for the smug little printer rep. The ladder was...unexpected.

It shows good planning. Had the end been electrocution or hanging they would have had a body to deal with, and lifting it to throw out the window would have been more effort. Using the defenestration technique means that someone else has to clear up the mess.

1. Montreal Sean

They already planned for the defenestration, and moved a skip beneath the window.

And arranged for it all to happen on collection day so there wouldn't be any lingering mess.

4. bpfh

Yep. BOFH needs more Bzzzzzert and LARTings....

4. adam payne
    Joke

A there was me thinking everybody loved setting up new printers.

1. TRT Silver badge

They were Canon right? Or Samsung. Yeah, probably Samsung. Or Canon.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

They were Canon right?

Missed a trick there in trying to find the non-existent Linux drivers for the things.

1. The Wegie

Or Kyocera

That degree of nasty brings back memories I thought I'd suppressed of trying to ride herd on an early Kyocera multifunction printer bought by a cheapskate boss because it was the cheapest on the market.

1. Ivory Bill

Re: Or Kyocera

For years I kept a blacksmith's hammer which i labeled "Kyocera Repair Tool" in my office. All printers suck, but those old Kyoceras were freaking nightmares.

2. Not That Andrew

Re: They were Canon right?

And if you are really "lucky" there drivers tucked away in the cavernous depths of their asian website that will only compile on and might even work occasionally on DeadRat 4.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

Or Epson

I have a super duper multi function job sat next to me with everything mentioned included - except none of it works when connected to a network, ethernet or wireless; only when it is connected to a single PC by a USB cable.

For scans I have reverted to using my old camera and cropping the image!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Or Epson

@Ian

And a wooden table?

3. Donn Bly

re: They were Canon right?

With a password of 111111? They had to be Xerox

1. Lee T
          Unhappy

Re: re: They were Canon right?

That's 5 1's, not 6. Though that may be a typo. *cries*.

2. Montreal Sean

Re: re: They were Canon right?

Nah, can't be Xerox, six times the number 1 is two digits past buffer overflow.

4. Roq D. Kasba

Better still, the 'El Capitan' upgrade that broke compatibility for Macs.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

El Capital deliberately broke USB support

I've even got the email from Apple where they admitted it.

Well, "admit" is the wrong word. "Stated" that they deliberately reimplemented USB in a a different way to every other system, that while not explicitly disallowed by the standard, is the exact opposite of the technical books on the subject.

No, not bitter. We wanted to do firmware updates anyway. Especially ones that required a Windows machine to apply the firmware update that makes it work again on the Mac.

5. Accuran Devil

Or Sharp... Hate Sharp printers... Would rather setup a monkey with a pencil and stencil

6. Decade
        Mushroom

Or Ricoh

Every generation of those things is bigger and has more features, but is also more complicated and fragile. The latest generation in my office comes with an entire mini-ITX PC running Windows 7 to run the print server, but it needs the original Java-based OS to run scanning and email. So, I need 2 network ports where 1 once worked, one for the built-in Java OS, one for the new mini-ITX PC.

Also, in some situations, the PC silently discards print jobs. A Ricoh technician was here for hours, and he couldn’t figured it out.

1. Spoonguard
          Flame

Re: Or Ricoh

"Also, in some situations, the PC silently discards print jobs. A Ricoh technician was here for hours, and he couldn’t figured it out."

That like eerily similar to my adventures with CUPS on Debian..

2. Captain Scarlet Silver badge

That sounds like a Fiery print server add-on (Which a few Canons or Sharp's had here).

Never saw the point in them so assumed they were just more expensive versions of an add-on network card.

1. Leeroy

The pc running windows 7 is normally only used for 'pro' machines and is over £5k extra for the basic version, please tell me it's for printing high quality jobs with colour matching and that someone had training on calibration with the photospectrometer ?

Silently discarding jobs usually happens when usage tracking is turned on, BW has no restrictions and colour requires a pin that has to be entered into the print driver. If you don't put the correct code in the job will vanish but you can see it in the printer log. Yeah it's a bit crap. Another reason can be that the copier will only accept print jobs from the print server, configured by ip or host name. It's to help enforce the authentication on the print server and prevent people bypassing it.

The worst thing about Ricoh is the new tablet interface with no physical buttons and a 'new and improved experience' according to BLI. Yeah we turn that crap off and thank god you can set up the old interface that Ricoh have been using for a decade.

/Rant off. I'm back in work Monday/ Ricoh tech lol

3. C0p3n

"A Ricoh technician was here for hours, and he couldn’t figured it out."

You don't say ...? Company I used to work for had a contract with them. "Ricoh couldn't figure it out" could be code for almost anything. Seems to me all they do is make sure the power is plugged in.

5. WhoAmI?
    FAIL

Sounds all to familiar

I remember when I was a lowly help desk bod. We bought new printers from a well known company which has a large research arm in America somewhere

New printers! Scan, fax, print, fast, A3, A4 and A5! Yummy!

After the engineer attempted to install the first printer, I told him I wasn't going to allow him to install the rest and risk leaving the company with no high capacity printing, and that I would do it instead. I un-boxed every machine, wheeled them around the buildings, opened every machine and connected the power supply board to the rest of the printer, upgrade the BIOS, faff around with drivers, and then get them all working with our fax software (which wasn't fun)

They worked OK after that

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Sounds all to familiar

We bought new printers from a well known company which has a large research arm in America somewhere

New printers! Scan, fax, print, fast, A3, A4 and A5! Yummy!

Bet they all defaulted to 'Letter', because that was hard coded into the printer firmware and drivers - I kid not. For a well known US printer manufacturer, several years back, who's printers and drivers had exactly this feature, I went as far as creating my own set of (unsigned) drivers, just so that when users installed the drivers on their PC/laptop their printer preferences had been preset to A4 and thus avoid 'error messages' about the printers having the wrong paper loaded...

Mind you just had another problem with another well know printer manufacturer; change the paper setting in the printer from 'plain' to any other and the user will get an error telling them the printer is loaded with the wrong size of paper!

1. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Flame

"'PC LOAD LETTER'? What the *fuck* does that mean?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQdNbvSGok

1. cd / && rm -rf *

"'PC LOAD LETTER'? What the *fuck* does that mean?"

Paper Cassette, Load letter-size paper. Easy when you speak HP Pringlish. You have to remember this was the days when a single-line LED display was all the rage.

On a slightly related tangent:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers

and scroll down to "Error Messages"

1. Down not across

Paper Cassette, Load letter-size paper. Easy when you speak HP Pringlish. You have to remember this was the days when a single-line LED display was all the rage.

Those were fun days..

<ESC>%-12345X@PJL

@PJL RDYMSG DISPLAY = Insert coin

<ESC>%-12345X

Or extra fun lock the keys with @PJL DEFAULT CPLOCK = ON

1. Peter Ford

I seem to remember setting the ready message to "OUT OF CHEESE" once... That resulted in some interesting support calls.

2. Berny Stapleton

> @PJL DEFAULT CPLOCK = ON

Oh that's cruel... I so would have liked to have known that one in my younger years....

2. Montreal Sean

Roland6,

So it's your fault all those copy centre printers at Staples here default to A4 and on occasion refuse to accept any other size!

I've lost countless hours trying to configure them to stop being A4.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Spanners Silver badge
        Go

A while back, I was involved in testing Open Office. This was running the programme and seeing what was wrong with the interface etc. It was sometimes reporting things as silly as a missing full stop in a dialogue box.

I came across someone in the USA who was about to report that it was defaulting to "non-existent or imaginary" paper sizes and units of measure, They did indeed exist and were not imaginary, Yes, the paper sizes were things like A4 and the units of measure were mm...

There is a difference between ignorance, which can be excusable, and planned ignorance which is not.

6. Toltec

He forgot to mention

the stockpile of toner cartridges for the old printers sold to them the previous week.

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: He forgot to mention

at a special discounted price, if they bought 3 years' supply at once. :-)

7. David Robinson 1

XYZZY

Nothing happens.

1. Geoff May (no relation)

Re: XYZZY

Did you try plugh?

1. Zimmer

GO on, admit it, you're lost....now where's that Plover....

2. Midnight

Hello, Sailor.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sorted

In the USA we have a simple solution to printer issues - we send them out for calibration with an AK47.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like