back to article Microbe drives tropical butterfly species to a male-killing frenzy

Spiroplasma, a small helical-shaped microbe, is responsible for bringing out a ‘male-killing’ instinct in African Queen butterflies, according to research published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. A team of entomologists collected African Queens (Danaus chrysippus) - a medium-sized butterfly …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What was that?

I stopped reading at the bit about the bar.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: What was that?

Yes, from the article: “Imagine you’re walking into a bar and it’s full of females. The opportunity to mate is enormous but it’s a futile attempt at producing any heirs.”

Where is this bar?!

1. You aint sin me, roit
        Boffin

Re: Where is this bar?!

In a parallel anti-universe.

2. Mark 85
        Devil

You don't want to know since you'll be eaten (and not in a good way) when the females are done having their way with you.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"You don't want to know since you'll be eaten (and not in a good way) when the females are done having their way with you."

Cue 'Doesn't matter, had sex' meme.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Death by snu snu!

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Where that bar is

If you want a bar that's overwhelmingly female, look for either a lesbian bar, or a regular bar on a night they have male strippers performing. The former will probably be frustrating (at best) and the latter will probably only lead to the results you desire if your physical appearance approximates those on stage.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I don't get it

How can an almost exclusively female population of butterflies survive over a decade ?

I understood that males from other regions come in to bang to exhaustion, but it seems weird that it should be enough to generate another generation of almost-only females.

Nature is one hell of a complicated thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I don't get it

"Nature is one hell of a complicated thing."

Maybe we should be careful about messing with it . . . . in myriad ways.

2. imanidiot Silver badge

Re: I don't get it

Apparently the influx of outside males is enough to sustain the population and apparently the modified W gene is dominant/passed on by the female, so that any offspring is also affected by the man-eater organism.

3. Filippo Silver badge

Microbes ARE part of the environment.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

There seem to be two potentially different descriptions of the problem that can be cured by antibiotics.

1) the males usually hatch after the females - but the females are driven by the infection to eat the male egg cases before they can hatch.

2) the infection stops or delays the hatching of the male eggs - which the females then happen to eat as part of their normal diet of egg cases.

The article suggests it is case 1 - but case 2 seems equally possible unless there is something not being revealed from the study.

5. JustNiz

The latin name of the male-killing microbe is Feministicus Birkenstockiae.

1. Chris G

Feministicus Birkenstockiae.

But shirley that would be native to California not Africa?

1. Hollerithevo

Yep, here it is

The required feminist dig. Whew! I wondered for a while if i was amongst my beloved commentards.

6. VinceH

"The next step to forming a conclusive link between the cannibalistic behaviour displayed in infected butterflies and the fusing of their chromosomes is to sequence the DNA of the ‘neo-W’ chromosome, Ffrench-Constant explained."

Then we can start on genetically engineering a version that affects humans in order to be one step closer to triggering a zombie apocalypse. Or something.

I glossed over the science bit. This is biology. Not my thing.

1. Captain DaFt

"Then we can start on genetically engineering a version that affects humans in order to be one step closer to triggering a zombie apocalypse."

Naw, we humans are clever and use software instead of genetics.

Ever hear of Pokemon Go?

1. Alan J. Wylie

Then we can start on genetically engineering a version that affects humans in order to be one step closer to triggering a zombie apocalypse

We already know of infections that cause an increase in risky behaviour[1]. The plot of the 1977 science fiction short story The Screwfly Solution[2] is based on a disease that causes increased male violence towards women,

[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior-altering_parasites_and_parasitoids

[2]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwfly_Solution

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Captain Daft - Yes. I told Pokemon to bugger off. Apparently it worked.

7. Mike 16

The Screwfly Solution

James Tiptree Jr. (Alice Bradley Sheldon) 1977. A reversal of this scenario.

Not that I'm suggesting that microbes read S.F.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon