back to article Security firm clarifies power-station 'SCADA' malware claim

Malware hyped as aimed at the heart of power plants is nothing of the sort according to security outfit Damballa, which has put its name to analysis claiming the "SFG" malware is run-of-the-mill code without sufficient smarts to target SCADA systems. The so-called SFG malware is the spawn of Furtim, and hit headlines as …

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"use of the new 'fluxxy' fast flux infrastructure"

On reading this line, I thought that there are some smart criminals out there. Curious, I looked it up. This fast-flux thingy is basically the botnet being able to rewrite DNS records every minute because the registrar doesn't give a flying monkey's about it.

So these crims are smart, but if every registrar did its job properly, this technique would not survive.

1. Bob Dole (tm)
      Holmes

Re: "use of the new 'fluxxy' fast flux infrastructure"

>>So these crims are smart, but if every registrar did its job properly, this technique would not survive.

If just half the people in the tech industry did their job properly, damn near all of these "techniques" wouldn't survive.

The amount of half-assedness out there is incredible.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not the next Stuxnet, says SentinelOne, it's just very naughty code

That's done me now!

I'm gonna spend the rest of the day hearing Terry Jones voice in my head.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm waiting for "Nitro Zeus" to slip out of the harddisk

Though I just don't understand how come there are so many soft targets with zero days connected to physical control systems (Did the Israeli-American Stuxnet virus launch a cyber world war?, apparently this is rekindled news from February?)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like