back to article Gaming apps, mugging and bad case of bruised Pokéballs

Back in the 1970s, cockney actor Mike Reid’s catchphrase on children’s TV was “Runaround – GO!!!” For the benefit of American readers... oh look, it’s too difficult to explain. However I would love to hear him shout “Pokémon – GO!!!” if only to alleviate the relentless publicity over what counts as children’s entertainment …

Page:

1. magickmark

New Balls Please

Well I hope you are keeping your Pokéballs nice and safe you definitely don't want anyone playing with them in a dark ally!

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: New Balls Please

I've had my Bulbosaur in many a dark confined space, tendency to get Drowzee afterwards has been only drawback

1. Anonymous C0ward

Re: New Balls Please

Did she like to be Machoked?

2. Efros

The whole thing

just completely confuses me. I like computer games, I play them occasionally but I'm not an obsessive person about anything so the behaviour of seemingly normal people with these "games" just completely bamboozles me. It's like the purchasing of virtual items for real money in games... why??? Don't get it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The whole thing

*shrugs* getting hundreds of hours of game play out of a f2p game it's worth buying stuff to customise or buff your characters.

People pay subscriptions and purchase all kinds of things nowadays you could go the only difference between buying a new dress in Archage and buying a game in Steam or a song on Amazon Prime is that... you can't pirate the dress.

1. Efros

Buying the game on steam I get, and indeed have done, but forking out $100 for a Battleship in World of Warships for example is beyond me.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

There's a $100 battleship? Most is £54 includes a fair amount of ingame cash, so suppose almost $100, I grinded up to tier 4 destroyers ships and that took 30ish hours (not intense and not just the destroyer) so I can imagine going up to tier 7, world of warships was good...

But I wasn't that interested in it.Probably played it for 60 or so hours spent a tenner on it. Better then most of the triple A games, but if a person buys the ship and plays with it a lot then meh. Whatever.

Like warframe too, I play it a lot, bought a bunch of platinum when it was 75% off as grinding components is boring and I wanted sexy looking warframes NOW.

At least with these games you can buy exactly what you want, what I hate is "loot boxes" where you pay to get random shit... that feels like a slot machine to me.

Biggest issue with virtual purchases is that when the server goes your tatt goes, so get the fun out of it before hand.

So all the wonderful dresses I had for my girls in Rusty Hearts are gone T_T oh well. I loved that game and got hundreds upon hundreds of hours in it (Not as much as I have in EU4 mind)

But you also have to compare it to the old subscription model, I must of spent £100s on sub games I'd subbed too, forgot about and then realised "darn I payed £30 for that and only played it for a month" I mean if you actually played WoW or Eve since they came out you've probably spent like a grand in subscriptions.

But as with many things it's a "thing" and people do it, and in a lot of cases ingame items is a better model than monthly subs. Especially for online games. But still... loot crates - don't like them.

2. DropBear
          Trollface

Buying the game on steam I get, and indeed have done, but forking out $100 for a Battleship in World of Warships for example is beyond me.

Better never set foot on any Star Citizen related website then - they have lots of people buying imaginary starships worth thousands of dollars each (look up the Idris...) in a game that doesn't even exist...

1. Chris King
          2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Trollface

but forking out $100 for a Battleship in World of Warships for example is beyond me

Well, gov't is forking out hundreds of your dollars for an F-35 that doesn't even really exist on your behalf, and you won't even be able to sit in its cockpit, ever.

So, where is the better deal?

3. MonkeyCee

Because you don't understand how people can spend money on a hobby that boggles anyone who doesn't engage in that hobby?

There are many examples of things that people spend small fortunes on, that I think are an utter waste of money (and time)*. But I'm not going to win any argument with them because there are different priorities. Same way for things I own that are an insane** or ego pumping purchase for most of the population.

The principle in f2p games is that ~80% of the players never spend a dime on the game, and often enjoy a perverse pride in it. ~15% spend roughly the same as you'd make from selling it at a conventional price, and ~5% spend serious money on it. As long as you're happy with which group you're in, and you don't get too annoyed at the p2w aspect then they are often better games than subscription or purchase models. You also get an option to spend time or money in leveling up, which exists even if the game doesn't explicitly allow it. Had more than one freelance gig which consisted of being paid $30 an hour to grind a clients WoW character.

* I worked out that my Dad spent roughly $150 per round of golf he played, based on his membership rates, and various other bits. This is ignoring buying clubs, balls, travel or time costs. Paintballers spending ~$5000 on a new marker, hobby photographers with ~$10k worth of kit etc.

** Chefs knives, which where worth it when I was spending ~80 hours a week cooking. A $200 knife saves time, effort and is safer than a $20 one. But for home use you've probably got better uses for the extra $180 :)

1. h4rm0ny

>>"Because you don't understand how people can spend money on a hobby that boggles anyone who doesn't engage in that hobby?"

That's not what the OP said nor what they were getting at. Playing a game - understandable for a variety of reasons, surprise, challenge, humour, story, whatever. Paying money to do so, therefore likewise understandable. What was questioned was where someone pays real money for achievements. You can earn coins or equipment etc. in game but many games will also let you buy those things with real world currencies. That short-circuits the entire process and is basically just a way to fire the synapse in your brain that says "achievement".

Such a game model (often the game itself is free) is basically providing the minimum necessary to define success for the player (I've got X weapon, I own 20 pigs, etc.) and then getting people to pay money to get that success without doing the necessary playing / developing the relevant skill level.

And THAT is what is wrong with it. If the achievement is detached from any entertainment the game itself delivers in getting it, then it is utterly arbitrary. You're paying someone real money to have a message on screen saying "you have 20 pigs". Or again, whatever you collect in that game.

If a purchasable extra to a game delivers additional "game", like a DLC expansion pack for a role-playing game, then that makes sense - it's essentially gradiating the price of the game according to how much you play. But paying to avoid having to play - that's deeply flawed and basically just manipulation of the brain's reward modelling.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Consenting adults, as long as they are not hurting any one else, who are we to judge?

Sitting in the office typing to list, listening to a couple of colleagues talk about football - not my thing, though wish they would bloody shut up!

1. MJI Silver badge

We have 1 or 2 football fans here. But

4 car enthusiasts

3 modellers

2 model railway fans

3 parents with children at home

1 Frozen & Disney fan

1 Brewer

2 avid games (both like same game, but different consoles)

1 boxing fan

4 film fans

Out of a small team, quite a range of subjects.

1. Novex

No Bronies, then?

1. MJI Silver badge

Bronie

I HATE you.

That is so disturbing, grown men dressed up as toy horses.

No thank <diety of choicw>, only possible is a Frozen fan and loves Eurodisney.

3. Matt 4

"What next, middle-aged men rocking to the Naruto theme tune?"

Never been to an anime con - but anyway I hate Naruto but the theme tune is pretty good in that Sum-41 90s buffy watching kind of way.

Never actually seen the PV for it, am amused.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Only just getting into manga etc, so not familiar with that.

It has to be better than grown men that are into "My Little Pony" doesn't it?

1. Known Hero
        Thumb Down

Ill go let my kid know there is an age limit !

Care to let me know the cutoff date for him please.

2. Teiwaz

"It has to be better than grown men that are into "My Little Pony" doesn't it?"

- Try 'my little pony' on deviant art with mature filters off.

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

although I've never bought in game content its not "beyond me" .

If you'd buy a game for £30 why wouldnt you spend £30 in a free game? it might make it as good as a £30 retail game.

Also where do you draw the line.

Was Doom a free game with extra paid content?

Or a retail game with a free level1 demo?

2. illiad

EWWW.. only if you are into 'furries'...

2. Potemkine Silver badge

'Naruto' had many decent soundtracks IMNSHO

4. Crisp

I've got a lot of fond memories of playing Pokemon Leafgreen with my son.

Where's the harm in a little playtime?

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've got a lot of fond memories of playing Pokemon Leafgreen with my son.

No harm in the play time until the game mechanic specifically involves running out into the road.

Board games tend to not encourage that. Football has a field we play on. Hopscotch with crayons? Some parents might confiscate to dissuade kids from drawing the game in the middle of the road.

Same here, the possibility of problems is so high, I'm amazed some form or safety/change to the mechanic was not made.

1. T-Unit

Re: I've got a lot of fond memories of playing Pokemon Leafgreen with my son.

This is exactly the ignorance that is being proliferated by the media. You can catch a pokemon if it is within about 15 feet of you. You never need to go into the middle of a road, or a railway line, or someone's private property to catch them. There is nothing wrong with the game mechanics.

Also, the game literally warns you to "Remember to be alert at all times. Stay aware of your surroundings" every time you load it up. People who are putting themselves in danger are idiots blaming something else for their own stupidity.

5. Tabor

I don't get the whole Pokemon thing. I've going on smartphone assisted hikes with the kids from a couple of years now. Geocaching, for which I happily pay (10 euro every three months or something). Except for the AR, how is Pokemon GO different ?

Maybe I'm now officially an Old Fart.

1. MJI Silver badge

Nor do I?

They just seem to be collecting cuddly toys.

2. 's water music

I don't get the whole Pokemon thing. I've going on smartphone assisted hikes with the kids from a couple of years now. Geocaching, for which I happily pay (10 euro every three months or something). Except for the AR, how is Pokemon GO different ?

It isn't. I don't get how you could get one and not the other. Each to their own. I enjoy plenty of dull and pointless activities.

1. Tabor

I stand corrected, my post wasn't clear. What I meant was : I don't get the hype, since similar things have existed for quite a while now. Nowadays you spot players quite often, and it's all over the media (well, at least the ones I read/watch). Is it the brand name ? Is it the AR ? Is it the game aspect ?

I don't have any issues with it (to each his or her own and all that, and I like the fact that it takes people outdoors), but I don't "get" why it's such a big thing.

1. mr.K

It is random

It seems kind of random, but it also is common with "new" ideas that become very popular. Facebook was not the first social media platform, World of Warcraft was not the first MMO game, iPhone not the first smart phone etc etc. These ideas come, hang around for a while, and suddenly one iteration that does not seem to be particularly different from the last iteration gains momentum and becomes the "first" for most people.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Teens that were previously stuck in bedrooms glued to screens, are now out and about getting fresh air, sunshine* and exercise. It's a blessing!

* occasionally in the UK.

6. John 110

Purple Hair?

I take it you were too young to notice the curvy ladies in full-body string vests then? (or hunky gents, if that's what floats...wait it was a submarine, wasn't it!)

1. Dr_N

Re: Purple Hair?

Gabrielle Drake.

'nuff said.

1. Teiwaz

Ooh, UFO - I assumed it was a wig, part of the uniform for Moonbase female officers, not dyed hair.

dum, dum, dum da-da,dum......

When it comes to anime, coloured hair on females is expected, from Lum (Urusei Yatsura) to Ryoko (Tenchi Muyo) to Nyaruko (Haiyore Nyaruko-san). Never cared for Pokemon...I did like Battle of the Planets as a kid.

Game scores in the office I don't get, but at least not as damaging as some in office scoring that goes on.

1. MJI Silver badge

Anti static wigs

7. james 68

I don't usually go for conspiracy theories, but this really does seem like a perfect way to get data from mobile phones and email without needing a warrant. The terms and conditions, the access it demands to your phone/email and the fact that the company who released it have CIA ties.... well it just seems very suspect to me when looked at all together.

Have a shufti at this er' link. http://blackbag.gawker.com/pokemon-go-is-a-government-surveillance-psyop-conspirac-1783461240

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Based ony our e-mail contents, we have determined that the nearest Pokestop is in this undisclosed "special rendition" CIA site. Just go down this flight of stairs!

1. Teiwaz

"Based ony our e-mail contents, we have determined that the nearest Pokestop is in this undisclosed "special rendition" CIA site. Just go down this flight of stairs!"

- All they need now is to get an 'is' version of Pokemon-Go out there 'gotta 'get' all the infidels'?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Snarkymon

Old men shaking fists at clouds

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Snarkymon

It happens all the time in my office?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's wrong with cartoons?

Sometimes they are better than the "grown-up" sitcoms! They don't rely on crude or vulgar humour to get a laugh. Often they have references that only adults can get, with lines such as "Nuke it from orbit" for example.

Not all cartoons mind you, some are right crap.

Did try hunting Pokemon at work - the app kept closing down, made my iPhone4 get rather warm. Found one on the desk in the workshop, but couldn't flick my balls at him, Mrs AC rang so felt like my ear was melting so uninstalled it.

Little green bastard is still in the workshop,,,,,

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What's wrong with cartoons?

From the Alistair bio at the bottom of the page and what I recall from previous comments, I think he watches slightly danker animays.

1. Alistair Dabbs

Indeed. I wrote the sleeve notes for 40 "classic" anime titles republished by Manga Entertainment. It meant I had to watch Urotsukidoji a few more times...

1. Teiwaz

" It meant I had to watch Urotsukidoji a few more times..."

Or at least Manga Entertainments butchered version of it (and it's not the only one they 'Mangaled'). Still good though, and the tabloid hue and cry over 'cartoons with sex' was priceless.

1. Dave Bell

I once quoted Miyamato Musashi on that movie, and some of the other things that Manga Entertainment did. It comes across as a story told with a blunt instrument.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Anime you say?

Coups and rumors of coups

Sadly, dubbed anime always sounds like someone has hired either college undergrads barely able to read their lines let alone impersonate the screen character or else the voice actors of The Simpsons. Then they massacre the musical theme by cranking up the volume of background voice announcements that are just meant to set the general mood. Artless america pig disgusting, only able to comprehend explodo/superhero shit.

1. Teiwaz

"Sadly, dubbed anime always sounds like someone has hired either college undergrads barely able to read their lines let alone impersonate the screen character or else the voice actors of The Simpsons. Then they massacre the musical theme by cranking up the volume of background voice announcements that are just meant to set the general mood. Artless america pig disgusting, only able to comprehend explodo/superhero shit."

- Manga Entertainment almost exclusively went after the young teen male market at the time (early 90's), which explains most of their catalogue. Best dubbed anime I've ever seen up to the recent Ghibli DVD releases was Catgirl Nuku Nuku (can't recall the publisher, no longer have the VHS), where one of the girls had a Birmingham accent in lieu of Osakan dialect.

2. Dr_N

"It meant I had to watch Urotsukidoji a few more times..."

This explains many, many things ...

2. MJI Silver badge

Cartoons

Output of Studio Ghibli

Pixar

GITSAC

Sorry I do like cartoons and I am in my 50s

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon