back to article Pints on a plane!

Heineken and KLM have announced a plan to serve draft beer on some flights. The Dutch brewer has apparently figured out how to tap a keg in the sky, without requiring compressed CO2 cylinders (a no-no in flight) and without producing the foamy mess that happens when pouring a pint when air pressure is low. The fix turns out …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Proper Beer does not need CO2

But as most lager is tastelss anyway the change in taste you get at altitude won't matter a jot.

How long will it be before a plane is diverted because the beer has run out?

Glad I don't fly KLM apart from puddle jumpers.

1. Oengus
      Pint

Re: Proper Beer does not need CO2

"How long will it be before a plane is diverted because the beer has run out?"

Probably on a flight to Australia with the Aussie Cricket team on board...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Proper Beer does not need CO2

But as most lager is tastelss anyway the change in taste you get at altitude won't matter a jot.

But as most mass produced lager is tastelss (sic) anyway the change in taste you get at altitude won't matter a jot.

TFTFY

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

So their chemtrails will bee beer farts?

3. s. pam Silver badge
    Pint

Pah -- Flying Rat had this in the 90's

I used to commute from LAX <-> SYD and there was Aussie beer on tap in Business and First Class. I was on a flight that got diverted to Melbourne for 6 hours due to fog @ SYD and we drank the kegs dry!

4. ratfox
    Pint

Mandatory

I like beer, but I'd rather drink water than Heineken.

I've been to a music festival where Heineken had exclusivity. It was a sobering experience.

5. IglooDude
    Pint

A lot more blue ice coming off those airplanes, I suspect...

6. TheRealRoland
    Pint

Photo of the bladder inside a keg in this article. http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/my-6-month-review-testing-newfangled-beer-dispensing-tech-is-finally-done/

I guess the idea is that oxygen (or any gas for that matter) only starts acting against the quality of the beer once it's being poured.

7. DainB Bronze badge

Nope

Isn't Heineken just a common Dutch word for a "horrible weak donkey piss-like beer" ? Or is it Amstel ? Never can get it right.

They'll have to start serving some proper quadrupel Belgian stuff before I even consider flying KLM.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon