back to article Kim Dotcom pregnant with Bitcoin's mutant offspring

Kim Dotcom running a breeding program to birth anything is not a happy thought, but the legally-contentious New Zealand resident has been doing just that in an attempt to create yet another online content locker. Dotcom has taken to his preferred medium, Twitter, to outline his plans as follows. I can tell you that Megaupload …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Dotcom's mention of Bitcoin hints at some kind of paid content distribution plan."

Or end-to-end encryption and total deniability. Or a place where you could securely stash a backup without the spooks being able to know which stuff belongs to who. Both would extend a raised middle finger to the feds; which I could see appealing to Dotcom; but the latter could well be of interest to business...an offsite secure emergency backup that -if it was done properly- would mean that you didn't have to worry about data-protection laws because even if it was hacked all hackers would get is gibberish.

1. RIBrsiq
      Headmaster

First, why would you trust anyone else to encrypt your off-site backups for you? And if you don't, why would you care if they did?

Second, I believe it should be "which stuff belongs to whom"...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"First, why would you trust anyone else to encrypt your off-site backups for you? "

Me? I wouldn't of course, but I .can see it being a service in demand. ANd he may be using something like Silent Circle's implementation for the client; which would work if he open-sourced the software and open sourcing was mentioned. I'm only guessing from the tweets what the service might be anyway...could be totally wrong. He could also be selling peer-to-peer nodes and decentralising things (and therefore offloading liability) but I don't know how you'd monetise that (unless you charged for the software; but open source was mentioned).

I did have a whom in the draft there for a little while, but decided it was entirely too pretentious for that time in the morning. I've always thought of whoms as largely optional (unless you're talking about bells tolling).

People losing copies isn't Dotcom's fault. He was stitched up unfairly (and IMO illegally). None of the identical services got hit; and at the time it wasn't even that popular for pirates because there was so much crap javascript between you and anything you wanted to do. It was a massive abuse of power and from here it looked like some sort of personal grudge match. I mean...SWAT teams on foreign soil for a fucking data storage silo? Please.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes it would be encrypted, but they'd still lose their data. The drives from the last raid are literally rotting in a database to this day.

But people always have backups of cloud data so it's fine ... Ahaha nope, many people lost their only copies.

1. RIBrsiq
        Facepalm

>> "many people lost their only copies".

Repeat after me: two is one, and one is none.

2. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

...but with bitcoin!

This guy's been rambling about bitcoin for a year or so now and still nobody knows what he's on about.

3. Thatguyfromthatforum

As someone with an entrepreneur spirit, a love of tech and someone who had his life ripped apart and lost his family over less than legit reasons, I hope to see this succeed for him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Amen. He isn't easy to like; but he's absolutely the lesser evil in this case

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Reminds me of the definition of insanity

So he's trying to recreate what he's already lost - again ?

Some people don't know when to quit.

5. Jay 2

Yawn

Tech (and a few other things) publicity whore puts themselves in the crosshairs of various unhappy organisations yet again.

Still, I suppose it will keep him occupied and may gather a tiny bit of cash he'll need for all those legal bills.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I invoke xkcd 1497

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

That's matrix is spot on! Only today I was thinking about the opinions on Reg forums whenever a new product or category is mentioned, and yet again XKCD has nailed it.

No joke - it would be fun* to run an analysis on past Reg comments, and see whose past predictions have proven to be been closer the mark.

<tongue in cheek> I confidently predict that in five years time, automatic semantic text analysis will be such that the task will be as easy as uttering "OkCorSiriAlexiHAL, tell me which Reg commentards have shown themselves to be crap at predicting future product success?" </tongue in cheek>

*for a given value of fun. Roughly equivalent to doing a quick crossword, perhaps.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like