back to article Facebook ‘glitch’ that deleted the Philando Castile shooting vid: It was the police – sources

The deadly shooting of 32-year-old Philando Castile by a cop during a routine traffic stop in Minnesota on Wednesday just got murkier. Multiple sources have told The Register that police removed video footage of Castile's death from Facebook, potentially tampering with evidence. Castile, his girlfriend Diamond Reynolds, and …

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Guns don't kill people....

...US cops do.

Offer only applies to black males.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Guns don't kill people....

In the UK they prefer Brazilian Plumbers.

1. Zot

*Electricians

2. JohnG

"In the UK they prefer Brazilian Plumbers."

In the UK, one Brazilian electrician was shot dead by police in 2005. The annual toll of people shot by police in the USA is quite different:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings/

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mark 85

Reports are they're looking for two black suspects. This may be the beginnings of some very bad times. Reading the media stories and the comments on the articles makes me wonder where the hatred is coming from. Something more polarizing in the US than any of us understand.

I don't think I'm paranoid but there's just too many senseless killings from the cop side and the civilian side. The cops covering their tracks (if proven) seems to point to something other than coincidence.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Triggerfish

I think I'll just leave this link from Not the Nine O'clock News here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8EpfyCG2Y

1. Jedit Silver badge

"I think I'll just leave this link from Not the Nine O'clock News here."

I can't watch that at work, but I'm guessing it's Constable Savage?

It's shocking how relevant a topical news comedy show remains 35 to 40 years later, especially with respect to race issues. The "Race and Responsibility" sketch could be any Tory in 2015, the budget cutting taxes on the rich while putting huge duties on wheelchairs, white sticks and diarrhoea medicine could have come straight from the lips of George Osborne. Our government has become indistinguishable from parody, except parody might be more believable.

1. Stevie

Re: "I think I'll just leave this link from Not the Nine O'clock News here."

"Our government has become indistinguishable from parody"

*Looks gluimly at current presidential candidate field and the records of the Do Nothing Congress and Do Nothing Senate*

Tell me about it.

2. rnorman345

Thanks for that - big smile

2. IsJustabloke
            Facepalm

@AC

ummmm... let me get this straight... you think "Brexit" is causing race riots in Dallas ?

Let's hope you don't have a gun because you're clearly pissed! (No not angry, drunk)

3. Keith Glass
            Unhappy

Actually, partisan acrimony in the US hasn't been at this level since circa 1859-1860.

You may recall what followed, from history.

Indeed, this could be the start of some very bad times.

2. chivo243 Silver badge
          Holmes

@Mark 85

I don't like REM too much but I have to quote them and say:

"It's the end of the world as we know it..." but I don't feel so fine ;-{

I get the feeling that tolerance is at an all time low and sinking.

"The cops covering their tracks (if proven) seems to point to something other than coincidence."

Just google "Chicago police code of silence" It's not just Chicago though...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
            Big Brother

"I don't like REM too much but I have to quote them and say:"

-If you tolerate this, then your children will be next.

1. slinkywizard

Except that was Manic Street Preachers, not REM...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

To keep the bands coming

Refer youse to The Clash "know your rights" . . .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lfInFVPkQs

Quote" You have the right not to be killed, unless it is by a police-man or an aristocrat. . ."

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"The revolution will not be televised.

There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down brothers on the instant replay"

- Gil Scott Heron

2. Triggerfish

Would that be chicago, home of the infamous Homan Square civilian rendition site?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/homan-square-chicago-police-disappeared-thousands

3. Fatman

<quote>Just google "Chicago police code of silence" It's not just Chicago though...</quote>

I lived in Chicago during the 1960's, and I still remember those PIGS well.

4. Lotaresco

"Just google "Chicago police code of silence" It's not just Chicago though..."

I quoted this in response to other posts about policing in the 21st Century.

FAY: The British police force used to be run by men of integrity.

INSPECTOR TRUSCOTT: That is a mistake which has been rectified.

Joe Orton, Loot

3. Johan Bastiaansen

Civil war is all fun and games, until the enemy starts to shoot back.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Dallas...

Snipers...

Already multiple arrest stories...

Dalas and an arrested "sniper": what on earth could go wrong?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

At some point when is someone going to say "How can this happen in Obama's America"?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SUDO

>$ SUDO delete embarrassing video

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss

or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your

typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

>Password: *****

POLICE is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported, or not. . .

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry but guns DO kill people! The answer America is to ban guns – all guns BUT especially hand guns! It will take several generations to remove them from your society – in fact you never will completely BUT unless you start NOW with a NO GUNS law you will NEVER achieve even that level of banning that you can. It is ridiculous that the NRA claim the right to bear arms from a document written at a time when muzzle loading flintlocks were de rigeur and were necessary to produce food for the table and, maybe, defend against the British. The NRA holds a lot of responsibility for these shootings yet they continue to spout their silly claim. It is simple – if you did not have guns – then you would not need a gun to defend yourself, would you?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You do realise that you're asking the biggest exporter of materiel to dictatorships, rebels, freedom fighters, death squads, and, eventually, terrorists, in the entire world to give up its love of weapons?

2. UncleZoot

Over your cold dead body sir.

The first time I went to London, it was different to see that the Bobbies weren't armed. That was back in the 1980's. Fast forward 30 years and a portion of the Bobbies are now armed and the hordes from North Africa have descended on the UK to suck the benefits of your country.

What's going to happen when the benefits run out? Healthcare isn't free, Council Houses aren't free, neither is education. Someone has to pay.

Inner cities are run by gangs protecting drug turf. Where years back, you had a fist fight. Then it was being jumped by a group with knives, now it's thugs proving how tough they are with guns.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Inner cities are run by gangs protecting drug turf."

It's not about the drugs, it's about the profits.

There are better ways of torpedoing the profitmaking than trying to go in with guns blazing, or to arrest everyone involved.

3. fishbone

Take your meds today, that may help with your confusion

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not true, US cops have killed plenty of white people for no-reason, it just isn't deemed news worthy since they don't have a BLM ready to march and riot at the drop of a hat.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wow

Well it looks like more than the shooter will be going to jail now. This one they can't sweep under the rug. Even on the right wing radio today I heard them try to defend Baton Rouge but Minnesota even they were like there is no defense.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: Wow

"This one they can't sweep under the rug"

Watch them try.

In this, it must be said that social apps have finally provided the public with the way to efficiently counter official behavior that is not in line with what is expected from a police officer. Facebook and Twitter have granted us this power, and that is a Good Thing (tm). Thanks to these apps, the Police are now effectively accountable before the law, because there is no way that anyone will forget that those videos exist, thus there is no way a judge can ignore them.

That is what is going to put law enforcement back under control. And it is the right solution : the Law has been voted by The People, so The People have the right to control the application of the Law. Rodney King demonstrated that what was needed was individual means of recording police action. In his time, it was rare, expensive, and you had to hand over the film to a newspaper.

Today, it's so cheap everyone has a camera phone, and anyone can have a profile on a social app that allows for video uploading. The Public must start hunting down bad police behavior and the Law must be changed to ensure that no cop can confiscate evidence, legally that is.

It's a shame that yet another innocent victim needs to die, but make his death worth something. Get the Law to recognize citizen surveillance of the Police, and it will mean something.

1. Martin Maloney
        Holmes

"...The Public must start hunting down bad police behavior and the Law must be changed to ensure that no cop can confiscate evidence, legally that is."

The first step is to stop using the expression "confiscate evidence." When a person with a gun orders you to surrender your private property, the correct legal term is "armed robbery."

1. solo

Re: Social Apps

Agreed that social apps seems more important than carrying guns for your safety. But I'd add that only having FB and Twitter will limit the benefits. We need at least a dozen of successful apps with not so easy navigation for policemen.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Social Apps

There are a number of apps that livestream upload video. It's kind of hard to delete something when it's already in the cloud.

2. chivo243 Silver badge

@Pascal Monett

The "story" that happened before the cameras were recording will be what changes the verdict. I've already seen that spin starting on the Baton Rouge story... What happened before the cameras rolled?

3. brainbone

"Watch them try"

I'm sure you'll eventually hear: We didn't tamper with evidence, we accidentally deleted the video while reviewing evidence. The interwebs are hard, don'tchaknow.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One of the many reasons

Is Obama allowing the Police to become a militarized private army that shoots first asks questions later knowing that the overwhelming firepower is on its side. Granted, it was Shrub who started it, but Obama not only did not stop it, he expanded the grants program for police departments to purchase military equipment and most importantly get USA military training. One thing the world knows about the latter is that it is trigger happy to the ultimate extreme so the results of subjecting police to it are not surprising.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One of the many reasons

Guess you are taking the zeitgeist angle because I am pretty sure the vast majority of these police shootings have been with standard issue pistols many of which probably predate our Iraqi misadventure.

2. phuzz Silver badge

Re: One of the many reasons

I'm pretty sure the biggest difference is not how the police are armed, it's that most witnesses carry a mobile phone that can record video with them now.

People have been getting shot by the US police for a long time, but now there's video of it happening so that's it's not just the word of a member of the public verses that of a cop.

3. Naughtyhorse

Re: militarized private army

shirley not a well regulated militia?

but the founding fathers.......

1. Midnight

Re: militarized private army

"They'll regulate my militia well when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Helter Skelter ?

5. bexley

disturbing

They all just had to sit still at gunpoint in the car and let the man bleed out, nobody rendered any help to the victim.

The lady seemed pretty calm too. Shame the lead up to the event was not filmed so we dont really know what happened although you have to assume that the cop car had a camera filming it all.

Sad times, not going to get any better with a large number of cops being shot in Dallas, the cops are not exactly going to be less twitchy after that.

1. James 51
      Unhappy

Re: disturbing

The calm has been explained in multiple articles as a well known survival mechanism. When the immediate danger has passed and her daughter is being cared for by someone else, that is probably when it will hit her.

I was going to say that you'd hope the police would understand that once it's on facebook odds are that it has been duplicated for 'backup' purposes and is recoverable. Just deleting it from the profile is not enough but I am guessing they weren't thinking clearly. Tampering with evidence, they really do have no where left to run.

1. Triggerfish

If it's the video I'm thinking of at some point she gets in the cop car and starts freaking a bit, her daughter starts to comfort her. Figure it's shock or something, plenty of times I have been calm and level headed when stuffs happening and get shakes after.

1. werdsmith Silver badge

The cop was not calm. Seemed to be completely in a panic.

At the moment the victim seemed to pass away the the cop screamed "FUCK!"...... "I told him not to di it!" And you could still hear him screaming expletives through the rest of the video.

I got the impression that he knew he had screwed up.

I feel like saying that he seemed completely unprofessional and out of his depth, but I can't because I have no idea of what it is like to be in his shoes.

But I'd say he'd have a tough time defending killing a man with his partner and her child in the car before he had sight of any gun. (apparently victim had told him he had a licensed concealed weapon before shooting and cop then asked for ID)

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

If you ask for something and then the person reaches to get that thing, you have to be pretty thick to assume it must be a gun. Oddly the US police seems to be full of these panicking trigger happy basket cases. Unsuitable for police work.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Nah, not really, all US police are trained by forcibly watching Shane on repeat.

'You all saw him, he had a gun..'

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like