back to article WIPO chief trying to 'fix the composition of the Staff Council' – lawyer

WIPO's director general Francis Gurry is seeking to strengthen his hold on the UN’s global IP group by getting rid of its staff council. A lawyer for the council, Matthew Parish, has written to all United Nations ambassadors expressing concern over Gurry's attempts to alter the composition of the body, whose most recent …

1. Frederic Bloggs

What is it about running a patent office?

That makes someone behave as though they are beyond moral and ethical standards of behaviour? First the King of the EPO and now someone who seems to be able to successfully get away with DNA testing his workers over a workplace spat. On current performance it seems likely he will get away with sanction busting as well.

Do these people really need this level of Teflon coating lack of accountability to do their jobs?

2. g e
    WTF?

How does he still have a job?

Didn't he have a massively damning report on his recent behaviour ?

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge

Re: How does he still have a job?

People asked the same about Septic Blather for quite a while - the comparison with FIFA is quite apt. But there's only so long you can keep this sort of thing going, as Septic eventually found out. And the higher you've built your castle, the further and harder the fall when it does eventually arrive.

1. g e

Good, I'll lend the fecker a damned ladder then

2. agatum
        Coffee/keyboard

Septic Blather

You, Mr. Hobson sir, see icon.

1. SImon Hobson Bronze badge
          Pint

Sorry about your keyboard, but I claim no originality for the name - someone at work told me that one. Here, have a virtual one on me.

3. Stevie

Bah!

Nothing will suffice but that the UK hold an immediate referendum on whether to stay in this "UN" political body, whatever it is (I mean, what is it? I don't even know what it does) or assert our national sovereignty and show those johnny foreigner types what's what - and, if I may venture so bold provide a shining example to them of what real leadership looks like - by voting with our British Feet in Brexit II, The Wrath of Farage.

1. asdf

Re: Bah!

Sarcasm aside still this quasi organization does little to present European (or any for that matter) bureaucracy in a good light.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Sarcasm aside still this quasi organization does little to present European (or any for that matter) bureaucracy in a good light."

It is headquartered in Switzerland but it is the world intellectual property organisation not a european organisation at all and is in fact a UN organisation.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Gazman

@asdf

The story was about WIPO. Your description is of the EPO. Though, to be fair, somebody did mention the EPO further up the comments. And, indeed, there are reports of staff v management issues there as well.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. asdf

Brain fart on my part. Been so many articles on that dickhead Benoit lately just assumed this was another for some reason. The UN getting in on the action nice. Still even Benoit Balls hasn't been selling equipment to the Norks though AFAIK. The fact this guy still has a job says almost as much about the UN as giving Haiti Cholera.

4. Oengus
    Stop

What is he hiding?

"they are not allowed to take notes of the content of the report. Mobile phones or other devices are also verboten while they view the documents. The ambassadors' visits are limited to two hours; they may then re-apply in writing for a maximum of two further appointments. The ambassadors must also sign a non-disclosure agreement."

Did this guy take lessons from the people who wrote the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) and the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP)?

What has he got to hide? Anyone who goes to these lengths obviously has something to hide.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Its just a bad case of power-craziness

Should all be cleared up after the inevitable popular revolution and its massive purgings of arse-wipe leaders. Stay tuned...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like