back to article Sociology student gets a First for dissertation on Kardashians

A sociology student has scored a first class degree in sociology, in large part because of her mighty 10,000-word thesis on American reality TV "star" family the Kardashians. And if 10,000 words is enough to score you a Bachelors these days, there must be reams of show-biz journalists out there who just qualified for PhDs. …

Page:

1. Efros

Earth Shattering Stuff...

I see a bright future for this youngster... I hear Topshop are hiring.

1. Arctic fox
      Holmes

Re: Earth Shattering Stuff...

My immediate thought when I read the sub-heading: "Klan K not doing much to help women. Or anyone really" lead at once to my choice of icon.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sociology is for the lazy and this twit proves it.

3. FuzzyWuzzys

Yes indeed, the big clue is right here:

“I used to watch it and be like 'Omg this is so great' and now I watch it while shouting, 'Crush the patriarchy!' It’s not ideal.”

I see the problem, one those people. The sort who constantly use the work "like" as a pause in speeach, as opposed to the correct usage whereby the word "like" is shorthand for "similar to".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I see the problem, one those people. The sort who constantly use the work "like" as a pause in speeach, as opposed to the correct usage whereby the word "like" is shorthand for "similar to"."

Valley English. In fact you missed a minor point about its original significance. The word "like" is indeed being used for "something similar to". "I'm, like..." means "I said, roughly..." or "Approximately what I said was..."

These shorthand expressions may be irritating to people old enough to be members of the Conservative Party, but English is full of them and we just don't notice them because they fall into custom and practice.

For instance, there I wrote "we just don't notice them." The "just" there is as bad as the Valley like in terms of sense. It's intended to give emphasis, nothing to do with a very recent event or fairness.

Because someone uses Valley English in speech doesn't, oddly, make them illiterate. The Kardashians are a perfectly reasonable subject for a third year sociology student. And, if you regard sociology as a joke subject, there are plenty of PR companies, media companies and "opinion formers" that rejoice in your ignorance as they use sociology and psychology to manipulate you without your knowing.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"if you regard sociology as a joke subject, there are plenty of PR companies, media companies and "opinion formers" ..." I think you just proved how much of a joke sociology really is.

2. Katie Saucey
          Meh

@Voyna i Mor Re: Earth Shattering Stuff...

"..if you regard sociology as a joke subject...as they use sociology and psychology to manipulate you without your knowing."

My opinion of sociology is that in the last 20 years (my observable timeframe) is that it has indeed become a joke, and is now on par intellectually with images and memes generated by 4chan. I can say with some confidence that that I can spot this bullshit a mile away. The only noticeable effect on my behavior is excessive eye rolling and added disgust that my tax dollars help subsidize what are essentially hugbox/daycare programs for young adults.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Stupid people need degrees too.

4. 7-zark-7
      Paris Hilton

Misread headline as Scientology student gets a first for dissertation on Kardashians.....

I guessed even their engrams are fucking dull and pointless.

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Oh it is. The movement of aircraft carrier displacement lard arse and its accompanying cellulite can shatter earth you know.

2. Huw D

Kim Kardashian has a huge arse

but enough about Kanye.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope one day they get wiped out by the Bajorans.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Bajorans? Is that a new brand of bog roll?

Oh, sorry, I'm always getting Kardashians and Klingons mixed up.

4. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

She's overthinking it

As per title.

The whole Kardashians thing is a load of vapid sh!te.

Bosh. Analysis over, job done. Just pop my doctorate in the post.

1. Midnight

Re: She's overthinking it

"Analysis over, job done. Just pop my doctorate in the post."

Doing the analysis is only part of a doctorate. The other part is being locked in a small room with a panel made up of toddlers who spend the rest of the day asking "Well, why is that?", "What's that for?" and "Why should I care about this?".

If you can survive the day without ever saying "I don't know" and being cast into the Gorge of Eternal Peril by The Man From Scene 24, then... Well, then you get to do it again because the right people didn't all show up. But eventually it does get stamped, misaddressed, popped in the post, folded in two, fed to a small dog and then stuffed into a mail slot that is three times too small for it to fit.

2. Eddy Ito

Re: She's overthinking it

The hard question will be, how does the vapidity differ from the rest of (un)reality television?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

?

The big, unanswered question for me is: what is a Kardashian?

OK, I know they're "reality" TV "stars" but take that away and...well, like I say, what the actual f*** are they?

1. Rob

Re: ?

Desperate human beings who crave the limelight to validate their lives, which unfortunately seems to be a trend in society due to the proliferation of digital technologies such as Youtube and Twitter etc.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Re: Validating your life

I remember when that meant getting a job and not behaving like a twat for all the world to see.

<sigh>Happy days...I miss when the world was like that.

1. P. Lee

Re: Validating your life

>I remember when that meant getting a job and not behaving like a twat for all the world to see.

And getting paid a lot of money for it. These people aren't idiots, they are pretty smart but money-guided people making cash from playing a dumb role.

These people will continue to thrive as long as their vapidity is is cheaper than producing other media content. Its a whole lot cheaper than GoT and has a far larger audience. Its cheaper to throw a lot of money a few people who will do anything for it, than it is to be creative.

Visual media in itself has a compelling effect on the brain. Look what happens when you turn a tv on in the corner of room while everyone is doing something else. Attention drifts to the TV (or ipod...) I've noticed that even clever shows suddenly become far less interesting if you can break the habit of watching them for about three weeks. TV has sunk costs and is desperate for content. Serve it up in a nicely managed media package with magazine interviews and "news releases" designed to stop people taking a break from the show, becoming disengaged and realising they can live without it, and they'll lap it up.

2. goldcd

They're the reason that you doubt yourself.

You did what you were told, you learnt a skill that benefited others - then you see them making more in a month that you will in the next decade without any discernible skill that you'd recognise.

I'd advise tolerance however - it's not their fault, just their greater understanding of the retarded mass we all dwell within.

2. joner847

I do believe that Kim's ol'man was a high flying lawyer and was the person that managed to get OJ Simpson off his murder charge.

For reasons completely unknown to me a few years later some shitty US television network scraping the barrel decided to do some kind of documentary about this bunch of affluent oxygen thieves; and then the internet and twitter took over.

1. Darryl

Don't forget the part about Kim doing a sextape with a marginally famous rapper and her mother seizing upon it as a business opportunity.

1. d3vy

You make it sound like she did the tape and then saw its leak as a business opportunity... I suspect the sex tape was a result of a rather odd "how can we get more money" brainstorming session.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"... Kim doing a sextape with a marginally famous rapper and her mother ..."

Yikes!!

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Don't forget the part about Kim doing a sextape with a marginally famous rapper and her mother seizing upon it as a business opportunity."

I'm still trying to figure out how a sex tape could make ME rich.

I obviously couldn't be in it.....

3. Timo

On many shows the Kardashians are referred to as "famous for being famous". That's it. They're attention and "like-whores", who have the money in this day and age to create continuous publicity events for themselves. To some extent pop culture has always done this, it is just that the K's are taking it to the end state where it becomes blatantly obvious.

The media is also such a wasteland that they are lining up for this reality TV "content". It gives them something to play on the channel between advertisements.

1. cortland

Hmm. Your reference to Newton Minow's characterization had me thinking that in the kase of klan K, TV is s a "half-vaste wasteland". Did I spell that right?

Hmm.

For what it's worth department: http://adage.com/article/rance-crain/minow-tv-a-vast-wasteland/227002/

4. PNGuinn
      Facepalm

"reality" TV "stars"

!

That's an oxy moron.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: "reality" TV "stars"

Oxy as in oxygen theives?

And moron, well, the entire fucking clan of them excell at being morons.

And this clearly "inteligent" women who thought this was a good thing to get a qualification in, should enjoy serving up fries for the rest of her life.

The more publicity we give vacuous twats like the kardashians , the deeper we sink...

6. Anonymous IV

Printed on university toilet paper

"Sociology degrees - please take one."

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Printed on university toilet paper

Uni toilet paper is far to luxy for this.

Indvidual sheets of Izal is the only this for this pile of dog manure.

1. Efros

The shiny stuff which was totally incompatible with its intended use.

2. PNGuinn
        IT Angle

No, the soft stuff is far more absorbent and degrades far more quickly. Far more appropriate for this purpose.....

far, far, far ... away.

Dark brown toilet paper ... perhaps apple could patent some ... with rounded corners ...

Ah! I knew there must be an IT angle there somewhere ...

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: The second sociology joke

Why mustn't sociology students look out of the window in the morning?

So they will have something to do in the afternoon.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The postfeminist narrative they disseminate

disseminating bunch, aren't they.

8. kmac499

Too annoyed to title...

My first thought was WTF.....

Then when I calmed down a bit, I thought is there really any difference between writing a big essay about a TV programme, and writing a big essay about a collection of old Books.(sorry literature)

My answer No it's all bollocks and only subjective opinion.

That's why I like Science, If you spend a couple of years measuring or proposing something, others can reproduce your work and within the limits of experimental error get the same answer. or absolutely disprove your proposal.

1. Toltec

Re: Too annoyed to title...

I was going to suggest that providing work for the intellectually challenged was a necessary part of society. Then of course you start to wonder who the smart ones really are, the ones that can produce and be paid well for spouting 'bollocks and only subjective opinion' for people even dumber than them or the ones that do stuff with no meaning* to 98%** of the population that need to fight for funding.

* Unless it involves them getting a new phone every year.

** Based on real research and can be quoted in a socialogical paper, honest.

1. Kane
        Alien

"...or the ones that do stuff with no meaning..." @ Toltec

'B' Ark.

2. Rich 11

Then of course you start to wonder who the smart ones really are, the ones that can produce and be paid well for spouting 'bollocks and only subjective opinion' for people even dumber than them or the ones that do stuff with no meaning* to 98%** of the population that need to fight for funding.

Alan Sokal managed to do both.

9. Chewi
    Facepalm

Embarrassed

Deary me, what a joke, etc, etc, so what pitiful excuse for a university honoured her with this degree?... oh crap. Yeah, guess where I got mine. I suppose it is possible to write a very good thesis on ridiculous subject matter. Maybe I'm just jealous because I only mustered a 2:2. As for word count, I seem to recall being told that 10,000 words was the recommendation for my CompSci thesis. I actually wrote 14,000.

1. James 51
      Boffin

Re: Embarrassed

10,000 words for my thesis as well. When I got to 14,000 and realised I could easily get to twenty, had to find a clever way to dismiss half of what I had already written. Thankfully I'd picked advanced concepts and their potential and IBM shipped some demonstration models based on them to a few of their customers so they actual products now and didn't count.

10. MJI Silver badge

it is spelt

Cardassian

Spoon heads

1. not.known@this.address
      Alien

Re: it is spelt

Spoilsport.

That was the first time I had thought of that lot and smiled. Although, maybe we could persuade one or more space agencies to supply a spaceship so we can have a new variant on their reality TV show from Mars orbit... unless anyone knows of a local wormhole / black hole instead?

1. Peter2 Silver badge

El Reg drawing our attention to these alien things that have no obvious connection to intelligent life was the first many of us knew about these creatures, and personally I would not be unhappy if it had also been the last thing I had heard about them.

2. P. Lee

>Cardassian

You've missed the point - that's someone's IP and there might be legal battles if you try to flog a line of toy spaceships.

"Keep control of your IP." Thus saith the Oracle. /IT angle

11. Pete 2 Silver badge

And on the 7th day, she rested

So 80 hours watching telly and then a 25 page (standard 400 words / page) report. Sounds like a good week's work!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: And on the 7th day, she rested

By that logic, Kanye's ready for Carnegie.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I would just point out. .

"And if 10,000 words is enough to score you a Bachelors these days, there must be reams of show-biz journalists out there who just qualified for PhDs."

. . I think it's the choice of words (and the ordering) not just the volume.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon