back to article ICANN pushes back against brand lobby

ICANN has stiff-armed the content lobby, writing that it's not responsible for what people do with domains registered through the international registration hierarchy. While it agrees that registries that fail to include abuse warnings in their terms and conditions need to be brought to heel, ICANN's chair Dr Stephen Croker …

1. joed

"Croker's letter to Greg Shatan" - while name jokes are low it's difficult to argue that this is going to be hellish dispute.

2. Ole Juul

The content lobby turns my stomach because of their behaviour. I'm glad ICANN is sticking to their guns on this one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

to be fair on ICANN

they only register names, not content,

The RL equivalent would be to ban the use of a postal address e.g. 10 Downing Street in the event you didn't like what was happening inside it or what was issued from it.

Its not really the right tool for the job so good work ICANN.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear IPC

Dear IPC

Sorry to hear you have a problem, however we just have a 19,152 line text file that has a list of names and IP addresses, the rest of the Internet is someone else's responsibility.

I know you are trying to protect an outdated business model, however, you might find that easier to adjust rather than blaming others.

Sincerely

Mr R Zone.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like