back to article Peter Gabriel-backed music startup goes titsup, takes £500k of your money with it

A music licensing startup backed by Peter Gabriel has gone into receivership, Music Week reports. The notice was filed on June 20th. CueSongs promised “frictionless music licensing for online broadcast” and was run by Ed Averdieck, who had a stint at Nokia’s Comes With Music. CueSongs handled sync licensing, the burgeoning …

1. asdf

can't resist

>The startup received £500,000 of public funding just two years ago from what was then called the Technology Strategy Board.

"Amateurs" - Curt Schilling and Rhode Island

2. lafnlab

Obligatory

Did someone take a sledgehammer to the servers?

1. Dadmin
      Coat

Re: Obligatory

They did, by sending in some IT monkeys... who forgot to unplug the servers... and they were shocked.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't give up your day job, though you may hit the big time one day.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

But does he have the touch?

3. Stevie

Bah!

Red ink is falling down

Red Ink

Red ink is falling down

Falling down

All over me.

4. GX5000
    Stop

Was sold but is still remembered as ?

The Monkey had nothing to do with this anymore, why bring him up ?

5. Sureo

A fair proportion of venture start-ups are bound to fail. It's the loss of taxpayer money that hurts. Some people actually work for a living and don't like to see their hard-earned thrown away. Otherwise, who cares?

1. asdf

Funny you can interchange venture start-ups with modern weapon systems (cough F-35) and your comment still makes sense.

1. m0rt

"(cough F-35)"

Which, ironically, is what it sounds like when started up.

All I can say is when I read this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36670106 my first thought was 'Really? it can actually cross the Atlantic safely?'

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

It also depends on what the taxpayer money was spent on.

I got tax payer money for a way to do early stage drug candidate screening on live cells - it failed to get enough VC funding to continue.

I now get tax payer money (or at least tax credits) to develop a guided surgical system that we are now using on patients.

The difference is that even the failures were developing new technology which still exists and can be used. They weren't just taking public money to pay for the rights to something to give away in the hope that one day somebody else will buy the company.

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Once upon a time, Charlie Demerjian presented an interesting argument - that wasting money for perceivably good reasons is actually an important quality of the government.

"That in a nutshell is why we need governments who will occasionally waste money in our name. They play the odds that no rational person on their own would, and we all benefit as a group. If you throw that to the whims of the free market, for the same reason that they won't plan out more than a year, they won't do what it takes to protect you."

"Money is something that capitalism is really good at, and the free market is really good at optimising for it, but the government by and large sucks at this. They are pretty good at preserving life, sometimes above and beyond rational reasons to do so, something private enterprise is very bad at."

www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1037618/new-orleans-catastrophe-down-to-privatisation

6. emmanuel goldstein

I would have invested if Lily Cole was involved.

1. 's water music
      Joke

I would have invested if Lily Cole was involved.

I would of upvoted you if you had written "would of"

7. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

" .. the European Union is the biggest VC funder on the Silicon Roundabout."

Was. No wonder ¡Bong! is upset.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Different plans

Plan Brexit: Promise £50M/day for the NHS then change their minds because that would require cancelling all EU funded projects in the UK.

Plan Orlowski: Reduce taxes by £50M/day because all the money that came back from the EU was wasted by a bunch of MEPs.

Plan year ending 2016-04: Average revenue £1866M/day.

A few cancelled UK IT projects: Centralise NHS records £11400M. 9 Fire control centres instead of 46: £469M. ID Cards £257M. E-Borders: £118M.

Clearly British MPs are at least as good at throwing UK tax payers' money down the toilet as MEPs. Although I would like the idea of plan O, I am sure the new tax reduction IT system will cost at least £50M/day to scrap.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pubic-Money cosy backroom Deals...

It makes me not want to pay taxes ever again! How do others feel....?

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Pubic-Money cosy backroom Deals...

Public investment and loan guarantees often onlly enrich the backers of the project before it fails. The fact that a startup failed does not surprise me, most fail within a few years. When they fail all the investor money is lost since most startups fail for basic business reasons: poor marketing, under-capitalized, bad management, etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Pubic-Money"

Amusing typo. Deliberate or cock-up?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Amusing typo. Deliberate or cock-up?"

A cock-up to be honest, but now you point it out, it has a ring to it :p

1. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

Re: "Amusing typo. Deliberate or cock-up?"

Yeah, Papa Freud would be proud.

3. 's water music

It makes me not want to pay taxes ever again! How do others feel....?

To be fair my feelings are unchanged. I have always felt this way about taxes :-)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> stint at Nokia

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like