back to article Inside the World of the Dark DDoS

Today’s distributed denial of service attacks are different than the kinds that we saw at the dawn of the millennium when the threat emerged. They’re becoming more nuanced, and subtle – and they could result in a lot more than a downed web server. In the early days of DDoS, volumetric attacks were all the rage. Politically or …

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

You never were on the receiving end of my granny's DDoSs.

Old school and analog, talking to you 'till your brain overloaded...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Telling you about the good old days before we joined the EU?

No gran, I don't want to hear the one about the Anderson shelter one more time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Who to blame? Yourself!

I think the main cause for all this chaos is a very obvious but also often ignored one: ignorance. And sometimes even accompanied with total unwillingness to do something about it and to think about what you're doing. The "I don't need to worry about security because I use OpenBSD. On that subject: how do I install software again?". And I only mentioned OpenBSD because of its reputation for safety, you can basically swap it out for any other Unix-like operating system.

When people connect computers to the Internet they're more than often totally ignorant about the possible risks. Totally convinced that there's no need for all that because who would want to hack their computer, right? All they want is to run their own stuff and they don't need all the extra fuss.

Yet that is usually when the problems begin. Too many people don't realize that every single computer is a welcomed one because it only helps to expand the next botnet even further. And the worst part is obviously that most people don't realize what's going on until it is too late. Worse: with todays broadband providers and cheap bandwith it also wouldn't surprise me one bit that plenty of people even fail to realize the obvious when it is too late. Shrugging the extra bandwith away and thinking their services became more popular.

In my experience the excuses can vary from "I use a safe OS", to "My computer has a dynamic IP address, so I'm safe as long as I'm not hosting anything". Where the latter doesn't even know how to use netstat.

Want a secure Internet? Why not start small with going over your own stuff, instead of ignoring it while thinking "this would never happen to me".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who to blame? Yourself!

What a muddled analysis.

Home users don't tend to have database servers on their networks.

1. benderama

I took OP as saying it doesn't matter what OS or software you run; any insecured computer available for a botnet is an extra attack vector for someone maintaining attack tools.

2. Mark 85

Instead of stating what needs to be done to choir here, I would hope that you're educating users. Most haven't clue on what to look for or where to look for it. Network traffic? What's that?

I'm still upvoting you because these things need to be said and said often.

3. netminder

NEW?

I'm confused. What is new about using DDoS as a diversion? This is a technique we saw more than a decade ago to blind IDS/IPS systems and to cover data exfiltration. If this is new to you or your organization you might want to find some security experts to bring in and protect you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: NEW?

What's new? Dark innit like Tor 'n all that other complicated criminal stuff. Wooooooooo......

4. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Inside the World of the Dark DDoS

The article failed to mention that DDOD would only be feasible with all those compromised Windows out there on the Internet.

5. Baldy50

Bored

Q:- How many devops does it take to change a light bulb?

A:- None, surely it's a hardware problem!

6. Inachu

It was so much easier back in the day.

I loved using PING OF DEATH on people who cheated while playing QUAKE.

Ping of Death would make their pc suffer BSOD lol!!!!!!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like