back to article Visiting America? US border agents want your Twitter, Facebook URLs

The US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agency wants to collect links to social network accounts of people visiting the Land of the FreeTM. Under new proposals, each traveler filling out an I-94 travel form or applying for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) visa will be asked for "information associated …

Page:

1. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

The sound you hear...

... is Daesh laughing as another of our freedoms is whittled away a little more...

1. Brandon 2

Re: The sound you hear...

... the frog is slowly boiling...

2. Daggerchild Silver badge
      Big Brother

'Freedom', its definition and its usage are the property of America (Incorporated). Any usage of this term in contradiction to, or slanderous of, the Approved Definition are violations of the TTIP agreement and grounds for extradition1 and trial on charge of corporate treason.

This forum does not have the required American Patriotism icon available (Article 2647c, subsection 6).

1) America Incorporated will not be held responsible for the condition of your spine during transport

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

is the whir of a hard drive registering your comment and other details in the faraway land of the free.

1. Danny 14

Shit. Thats me going in the clink, i dont use social media and theyll never believe me :(

2. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Freedom of speech, unless the US government disagrees with it.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Freedom of speech includes also

Freedom of speech also includes the Freedom to remain silent and the right not to listen.

I do not have an account on F***book, I do not have an account on Tw*tter, I do not have an account on Cretinogramm and I am considering closing down the LinkedIn account.

Does this disqualify me from the visa waiver program (*)?

(*)ESTA went completely overboard in the last 3 years. When I filled my Esta in 2011, it was a page of data. Filling it again last year - there were two pages asking for all kinds of irrelevant crap. In fact, in my case it could not be filled (unless you deliberately enter invalid data). The idiot who coded the web front-end did not comprehend the idea of "I have a cittizenship of country X, but I do not hold a valid passport with that country"

1. organiser

Re: Freedom of speech includes also

That makes you an asocial "alien" (not the space kind) who clearly has something to hide. Quite possibly a nefarious t*st and you are as such probably disqualified (and put on a no fly/no swim/no boat/no train/no bus/no drive/no walk list for good measure).

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

re. Does this disqualify me from the visa waiver program (*)?

quite probably. And I mean it. After all, you can't appeal their decision, or if you can, it's only once you're back in your own home turf.

3. Dadmin
    FAIL

What a load of cobblers

"Collecting social media data will enhance the existing investigative process and provide DHS [Department of Homeland Security] greater clarity and visibility to possible nefarious activity and connections by providing an additional tool set which analysts and investigators may use to better analyze and investigate the case."

Bullshit. This is just another waste of time and resources geared to make outsiders think something useful is going on at DHS, when the sad fact is they have done nothing for security. Ever. Just another department working with an unlimited budget of other people's fears. Sort of like the FBI/CIA/NSA/etc. A shit TON of requests for unencrypted data and other fucking nonsense, and NOTHING to show for it. Not ONE thwart. Not ONE conviction. A lot of annoyed people, none of which were "terrys." None of the people they mentioned ever caused a crime relating to their tweet and/or visit. None of the people they are going to bother with this joke of a request will be terrys; "give us your tweets and farcebooks pooosts! 'cause, crimes." Just a bunch of sad idiots who fail to understand what investigation means when it does not start at the Google Search prompt...

1. g e

Of course, given a choice...

You can visit another country and spend your holiday cash within their economy instead.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Of course, given a choice...

Greece was looking like a good cheap holiday option with ancient historical sites to visit and fantastic food.

Not so cheap from the UK now, of course...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What a load of cobblers

Makes me wonder what they'll do if you don't have any social media accounts. I don't, never had and I have on intention of ever getting one.

Maybe they'll "persuade" you to start one so that they can keep taps on your vacation :P

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

Re: What a load of cobblers

Simply use the "cunning plan" (doffs hat to Baldric) of opening an account with next to nothing on it.

The proposal is really, really stupid, the usual practice of adding more hay in order to find more needles, instead of getting a bigger magnet.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Security Theatre

Some with two neurons to rub together put it in the suggestion box.

1. Someone Else Silver badge

Re: Security Theatre

Someone without two neurons to rub together put it in the suggestion box.

There. FTFY.

(But you certainly got the headline right!)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Note that this is occurring under the Obama Administration.

And one of the presidential candidates has declared a desire to continue Obama's legacy.

1. MrDamage Silver badge

I'll have whatever you're smoking.

Blaming Obama for this is like blaming the CEO of a company when the muppet in charge of the stationary cupboard insists you bring the worn out stub of a pencil back as proof of use, before they issue you with a new pencil.

Besides, isn't Obama just carrying on with Dubya's legacy?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Big Brother

Re: I'll have whatever you're smoking.

Besides, isn't Obama just carrying on with Dubya's legacy?

Yeah, but he's really taking up the weight with gusto.

God Help Us All if Hillary is elected. A two-front war with China and Russia using stealthed first-strike tac nukes in a "nuclear ramp-up" scenario? Yes, she can!

1. Antron Argaiv Silver badge

We should all vote Trump/Palin then. Got it.

1. 's water music

We should all vote Trump/Palin then. Got it.

Careful with that voting intention sarcasm. You never know what might happen*

*don't ask me how I know this

2. Robert Moore
            Alien

> We should all vote Trump/Palin then. Got it.

Please, please, please let it be Trump/Palin. The entertainment value of dumb and dumberer would keep me laughing for at least a decade.

PS: I have been predicting a Trump/Palin partnership for several months.

Fingers crossed.

2. SoloSK71

Re: I'll have whatever you're smoking. (Was it something from a rare frog/mushroom/plant?)

"God Help Us All if Hillary is elected. A two-front war with China and Russia using stealthed first-strike tac nukes in a "nuclear ramp-up" scenario? Yes, she can!"

Here's your sign!

And your tin foil hat.

The downside of freedom of speech right there.

3. Updraft102

When Bush was in office, people criticized the PATRIOT Act (rightfully) because of what the government *could* do. Under Obama, it's what the government *is* doing.

If the PATRIOT Act is bad (and it is), it's bad no matter whom is using it to spy on... well, everyone, American or otherwise.

2. Pomgolian
        Headmaster

>when the muppet in charge of the stationary cupboard

Well, let's hope the aforementioned muppet does indeed keep the cupboard stationary - last thing you want are cupboards flying around all over the shop. Think of the children!

Perhaps there are other muppets out there who whose portfolio includes stationery. They're the ones to steer clear of.

1. Imsimil Berati-Lahn

Always makes me chortle, that one. Reminded of the mindbending paradox I experienced upon reading the sign "The stationary cupboard has moved". Wow! Presumably encountered an irresistible force or something. What other explanation could there be?

2. Wensleydale Cheese

flying cupboards

"last thing you want are cupboards flying around all over the shop.."

Misread that as "ship" and had a mental picture of what happens if you don't fasten stuff securely when afloat,

3. Stoneshop
        Holmes

the stationary cupboard

As they overwhelmingly tend to be.

1. John Malaney
          WTF?

Our stationary is held in a filing cabinet in a rolling stack, It still amuses me when I watch the labelled stationary cupboard glide effortlessly backwards and forwards along its track

4. Dave 15

I don't buy the whole 'its not the bosses fault when it goes wrong' attitude. Frankly he takes the credit when things go right, he takes the power, the prestige and the money regardless of things going right or wrong.

No, if he is being paid for being in charge then if it is wrong it is his fault. He could simply step in and say 'oi idiots, scrap this idea right now, then take yourself off to pension land so I never hear your name again'... prove who is in charge and prove he knows his arse from his elbow.

2. macjules

Never mind. Under Trump there won't be an internet any more anyway. After all, it's only used by terrorists (pronounced 'Muslims'), Mexicans and pinko limeys.

6. Mark 85

I guess it's good then that I'm a citizen and not a visitor....

No FB, no Twitter, etc.... They'd think I was lying by saying that and put me back on the plane. What a bunch of asshats.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I guess it's good then that I'm a citizen and not a visitor....

And, for similar reasosns, as a non-citizen it's a good thing I have no intention to visit there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

And, for similar reasons, as a non-citizen it's a good thing I have no intention to visit there.

I agree. It appears my list needs amending:

1 - TSA. 'nuf said.

2 - Data shakedown at the border: they can take any device off you and do whatever they feel like with it, even keep it for a while. Which could even include INJECTING data for later entrapment. Did you piss off any important US company of late? Or did you invent something important that a US company doesn't really want to pay for? Oh, and details of any social media use, please.

3 - The way foreigners are treated. Unless they have a "cute" accent like British, but God help you if you happen to be non-white. I'd be extra careful: don't get as much as a sun tan, a mistake is so easily made when there are no real consequences attached to it.

4 - Lots of private gun ownership and next to no control on it. And quite a lot of "rampages" and "accidents". Oh, did I mention you're a foreigner? You can't have any to defend yourself either. Maybe someone should set up shop selling at least bulletproof vests. And armoured vehicles. Police killing people does generally not have consequences either.

5 - Privacy? You're kidding, right?

6 - Legalised theft by the people who are supposed to protect you. It'll be even easier to do this to you as a foreigner because you'll stand no chance in court, living abroad and all that. Ka-tching!

Every time a US politician uses the word "Freedom" you know they're lying (well, more than usual).

1. Dave 15

Cute accent like British... what do you mean? The US HATE the British with a passion. Of course if you are Irish you are a legitimate freedom fighter bashing against the hateful tyranny of the out of control British empire and so deserve support and funding. But other British, certainly not, you are more likely to be cavity searched just to remind you not to visit again in a hurry.

1. John G Imrie

Odd that my reality is so different from yours, I had been told some horror stories about US Passport control, but I had no problems. The passport officer even smiled when my g/f made a rather crap joke.

2. werdsmith Silver badge

Dave 15 most Americans are not like you and don't do this "hate" thing.

Anyway Van Bryan is Irish, and said he was going to dig up Marilyn on Hollywood. But Marilyn is interred at Westwood Village which is way over near UCLA campus, nowhere near Hollywood Boulevard.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So....

... will the guvmint use this information to keep off all morons who facebook their instagram tweets about how they are going to be rowdy and drunk and behave as idiots in public?

Hum..... there must be a catch.

1. Chronos
        Coat

Re: So....

Do your football fans do that as well? Whoda thunk...

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"No FB, no Twitter, etc.... They'd think I was lying by saying that and put me back on the plane."

My thoughts exactly, but from the viewpoint of a potential visitor. Ah well, maybe I'll set up an account with XING, just to have something to show them.

Why are the lunatics in charge of running the asylum?

1. A Ghost

Why are the lunatics in charge of running the asylum?

Very good question. I shall try to give a very good answer:

Because these fuckers are criminally insane psychopaths, not just your common or garden disorganised looper/moon howler.

I grew up being taught torture was wrong, and these bastards legitimized it and watered it down for the masses.

1. Mark 85

To add to it... most of them are minimum wage contractors and most are wannabee cops who could pass the entrance exam. Like mall cops but with more power. Draw your conclusions from this and the A Ghost's comments.

2. Ropewash
          Joke

"I grew up being taught torture was wrong, and these bastards legitimized it and watered it down for the masses."

Watered it down...

PFFFFT.

Good one, considering one of their favoured methods.

3. macjules

You think YOU have problems?

My CV reads that I once worked on a database system built for the (then) Thames Water Board. I do not even want to think what would happen if I gave them my LinkedIn username. I might get a medal.

2. Wingtech
        Mushroom

If The Donald arrives in Washington will you be able to tell where the asylum starts?

There has always been a strange dichotomy in the YouEss between those with knowledge and the legislature.

Found out the hard way that if you air-freight a vehicle to there you have to empty the fule tank - 'cos gas\petrol is explosive, isnt it?

Just ask a fire expert which i more dangerous, a full fuel tank with no air-space, or a recently emptied tank. Perhaps that should read a fule tank in the YouEss.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No FB, no Twitter, etc....

count yourself lucky, you might still slip throught the net. On top of no fb no twitter etc, I was in Turkey, Iran (transit, but who cares) and in Pakistan... of all the placed! Holy f...! I mean, what sane man (other than a terrorist) would ever visit Pakistan THREE times?! Step over to this side, sir!

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Despite being a heavy internet user since the early 90's I don't have Twitter, Facebook, Instagram or even a LinkedIn id. This was due to me being acutely aware of the future risks having worked in InfoSec for more that 20 years .... alternatively it's due to me having no friends having worked in InfoSec for more than 20 years :-))

7. Kumar2012
    Facepalm

So they will go through your social media feeds to find out if things you posted show that you are up to no good, yet the head law enforcer for the USA, AG Loretta Lynch, still can't figure out what motivated the Orlando club shooter despite all he proclaimed, claiming 'we may never know'. So what you post on social media can clearly show intent but what a terrorist says while gunning people down doesn't oO?

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/ag-loretta-lynch-orlando-gunmans-motive-may-never-be-known/

1. Hollerithevo

Yep, Orlando motive will remain the deepest of mysteries

Who could possibly work out the murky motives of the Orlando shooter? What, oh what could have been going through his mind?? Why this club of all clubs? If only we had something from him before the shootings, something he might have said or posted in the weeks leading up to his incalculably unfathomable rationale, so we could gleam some hint of what might have driven him to this terrible act.

8. John 104

Embarrassing.

Apologies from the States.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like