back to article 'Leave EU means...' WHAT?! Britons ask Google after results declared

Woke up with a nagging feeling you may have done something last night you shouldn’t? You aren’t alone, it seems. Following reports of Brexiters regretting their vote to take the UK out of the European Union, Google has revealed a hunt for online answers about the EU and what it meant exactly to leave assaulted its search …

Page:

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
    Facepalm

Turkeys voting for Christmas on the basis its not halal, now asking what Christmas means for them.

2. King Jack
    Facepalm

Seriously...

Some twat called Adam (BBC News) voted to leave but was shocked that the PM resigned and we are on the way out of the EU. He somehow thought his vote would not count. Why give adult decisions to idiots like him who don't understand how voting works?

1. Christoph
      Facepalm

Re: Seriously...

But ... but ... he didn't know it was loaded!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I heard someone say they would vote to leave because a pregnant foreign woman got seen at the doctors surgery before they did and that once the UK left the EU these things wouldn't happen anymore. If nothing else we've found out that most of the country is a bit touched in the head.

1. MrRimmerSIR!
        Joke

What's worse, half the country has a below-average IQ!

1. RachelG

I'm sure Gove has a plan to fix that. ;-)

1. cosmogoblin

He does.

All countries will be inspected, and should they be found lacking, forced to become academies.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. RIBrsiq
          Joke

>> "half the country has a below-average IQ"

And it's not just IQ, either! It's everything!!

It's extremely frustrating, this. No matter what one does to better things -- education, welfare, etc. No matter what efforts are taken, it still always seems that half the population remains below average.

I'm telling you: the system is rigged...

4. Qassam ElShawarma

Actually, half the country has a below-MEDIAN IQ. #math

1. bombastic bob Silver badge

"Actually, half the country has a below-MEDIAN IQ. #math"

this would only matter if the distribution of numeric IQ values is uneven. In a large enough sample, that's unlikely.

Interestingly enough, to someone at a near-genius level (or higher - average Reg reader probably), EVERYBODY ELSE (who is NOT significantly above average/median) appears "about the same as one another".

/me leaves flowers for Algernon. Poor Algernon. he was a *really* smart mouse. Too bad the 'other mice' rejected him [that's a metaphor, yeah]. If he were a dumb mouse, they'd have still rejected him, but would've felt sorry about it later. Equally 'out of touch' on both ends of the intelligence spectrum.

1. TheOtherHobbes

>this would only matter if the distribution of numeric IQ values is uneven. In a large enough sample, that's unlikely.

Not in the UK, it's not.

2. David Glasgow

Re: Seriously

Its true. It is skewed. There are more people of below mean IQ. There are more ways of being intellectually disabled than there are of being intellectually gifted.

2. Uberseehandel

let's not go there....otherwise its Brave New World all over again. On second thoughts, that's not such a bad idea.

1. energystar
              Pirate

"....otherwise its Brave New World all over again."

The good 'prepper' attitude :D

How's your stockpile?

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/prepper

3. Tannin

"Actually, half the country has a below-MEDIAN IQ. #math"

Actually, IQ has a symmetrical normal distribution with a mean of 100 and a standard deviaton of 15. Always. In every population. because that's how it is defined. As with all such distributions, the median is equal to the mean. (And to the mode, for that matter.)

# psychology

PS: learn how to spell "maths".

4. Andrew Fraser

Whilst you are more specifically correct, technically "average" can refer to any of "mode", "median" or "mean".

I will concede that the most common use of "average" is as "mean" though ;-)

5. BebopWeBop
          Unhappy

Just (and I know it's a joke) a plea for the bring back proper use of English campaign, I think you mean the median, so to speak. It would not surprise me if the British electorate had a severely skewed distribution.

6. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What's worse, half the country has a below-average IQ!

51.9%, actually

1. VinceH
            Facepalm

"51.9%, actually"

No, that's evidence that while a person can be clever, people are stupid.

Icon for the people regretting their choice and wishing they could change it.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Facepalm

"Never attribute to ignorance which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Christ. I guess that's inbreeding for you. Now Farage's comment about rubbing "noses in diversity" makes even less sense.

7. T. F. M. Reader

"half the country has a below-average IQ!"

It's worse than you think, actually: more than half the country has below-average IQ. But don't despair, even after Article 50 is triggered half the country will still have above-median income.

8. DropBear

"What's worse, half the country has a below-average IQ!"

I've long maintained that right to vote should be subject TO TAKING A FUCKING EXAM. You know, to prove that you have any idea of what's actually what. Sadly, so far, no "democracies" seem to be interested in the concept... :(

1. fearnothing

"I've long maintained that right to vote should be subject TO TAKING A FUCKING EXAM. You know, to prove that you have any idea of what's actually what. Sadly, so far, no "democracies" seem to be interested in the concept... :("

Whilst it's wonderful to imagine that this could improve the system, what would in fact happen would be that the people in charge of examinations would exercise their control to manipulate the voting demographics. In spite of feeling a mixture of anger, pity, contempt, and loathing at the people who voted to leave, to do this would fundamentally compromise the integrity of our democracy. It is thoroughly and entirely wrong, just as limiting parenthood on the basis of IQ is.

9. Hargrove

For precision:

Half the UK is below the median IQ for the UK. I've read that globally, the "average" IQ has been steadily declining, and is now below the established "average." I blame technology for short circuiting natural selection.

The UK are not alone. The Brexit phenomenon is in play in the US, chez les Trump supporters. Hopefully Brexit will be a wake-up call for the US and the electorate will realize that "Holy ----! We could wind up with the village idiot as President."

10. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

What's worse in that the average IQ is meant to be 100, but seems more like 70 in this country. Guess all that soap TV knocks 15 points off, and smartphone fixation the other 15 points. Or is it the inbreeding in the left-behind regions that is the main issue?

11. mosw

"What's worse, half the country has a below-average IQ!"

Well that's just mean.

3. Hollerithevo

I suppose they all thought they were registering a protest voice and that their voices would be heard, but nothing was in danger of changing. Oops.

1. David Webb

I still maintain that Cameron is a stupid dick for believing he could pull through without the votes from 16-17 year olds, I don't know how many 16-17 year olds there are but if the same % went remain as 18-24's the result may have been a bit different. Didn't want to do it because of cost? Cost him his job that did, what is he, middle management?

/edit - whilst I'm here.......

never mind me edit, found an article.

1. inmypjs Silver badge

"without the votes from 16-17 year olds"

Maybe because they might also demand the right to be able to drive a car, buy a drink, or fags, or open a bank account or get a tattoo or make a will or take a selfie of their own arse or or.....

In the framework of what we trust 16,17 years olds with giving them a vote is ridiculous, only suggested by politicians desperate to try to cover up the huge apathy most of the electorate show towards them.

There was no real reason the young should have voted more to remain than leave, you think their parents and grand parents want the worst for them? They are just more naive with a different kind of ignorance.

1. agurney

"Maybe because they might also demand the right to be able to drive a car, buy a drink, or fags, or open a bank account or get a tattoo or make a will or take a selfie of their own arse or or.....

In the framework of what we trust 16,17 years olds with giving them a vote is ridiculous, only suggested by politicians desperate to try to cover up the huge apathy most of the electorate show towards them."

16 & 17 year olds had a vote in the 2014 Scottish independence referendum and anarchy didn't ensue .. maybe because they could already do some of the things you list (drive a car, open a bank account).

1. David Webb

C'mon, 16/7 year olds can get laid, get married, join the army, pay income tax, change their name etc. (at 16 can ride a moped, 17 125/car), and in 2 years time when we leave the EU the 16 year olds who were denied a vote will be 18 years old, is it really fair they were not allowed a vote on an irreversible decision which will affect them for the next 60+ years of their life?

There are around 4m 15-19 year olds, so lets say 2m 16-18 year olds, sounds fair, reasonable? If we go for a high turn out of 80%, thats 1.6m voters, they are more likely to vote remain, lets go with 80% again (might be higher), that's 1,280,000 "Remain" votes, 16,141,241 + 1,280,000 = 17,421,241, vote Remain wins by 10,499 votes (assuming 2m voters and 80% turnout/remain).

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Bloody nonsense - I was 15 (too ypoung to vote) in 1975 on the only vote we have ever had on Europe, and have never had a chance since - until now.

Up! the over 50's for getting us out of this juggernaut of foreign control that our predecessors got us in.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

Paying income tax is tied soley and utterly to how much money you have, ****NOT*** how old you are. Daniel Rattcliff was paying income tax at the age of 12. If your income is high enough a one-day-old baby can be paying income tax.

3. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I'm seriously concerned how it is being portrayed that the youth voted remain and the older generation voted leave.

How exactly is this known and how was it known immediately after the result? Why is it that the news is sill pushing this idea?

Let me explain, we all know how the vote is done you can watch them on the TV, ballots are sorted into piles then those piles are added to the tally and the result is declared. To know which age range voted for what you would have had to record every voter ID on the ballot then collate them for the whole country.

Impossible given the time scales.

Unless someone wants to tell me how the BBC could give exact % immediately after the result and polls don't count as it being pushed as fact, plus the polls were wrong in the first place.

1. PatientOne

Okay, normally we have exit polls - that's people collecting volunteered data at exit of the polling station. This then gives a national sample and reasonable results.

This time there were no exit polls (was looking for them and surprised they weren't there) so some groups went out onto the streets and did a poll there. This netted the figures people quote - that 62% of the 18-24's who voted, voted in (or 72% according to another poll), but the numbers sampled are low.

In the one case, 1,600(ish) people were polled and only those who were willing to answer were counted towards either vote. I can't remember if it was 1,900 or 19,000 for the other poll - the number was given, but it was (very) small print. Neither sets of figures seemed to add up, though, so I doubt they were really accurate or representative of how people did vote. For example, a straw poll here at work had more 'Out' votes from the younger workers and 'In' votes from the older, but that was an incredibly small sample size.

4. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

If you go by the figures from polls into who voted what, only 25% of the 18-24yr olds voted.

The polls show that older people voted more than younger people, and younger people voted in more than older people. So sure, the 16-17 yr olds might vote more favourably to remain, but they'd do so in smaller numbers.

That's if you believe the polls and if you think the trends would continue. More likely they'd vote 'out' in greater numbers as it's the rebel thing to do, and they're still at the tail end of the 'rebel' years. They wouldn't have to deal with the fallout until it's mostly sorted (in their view). But that's just the flip side spin.

5. SundogUK Silver badge

I've been sixteen (as have you, no doubt) and when I was sixteen, I was WRONG. I was also wrong at eighteen and think the age for voting should be raised to 21, minimum. Arrogant, self-centered nihilism is no replacement for real life experience.

2. J.G.Harston Silver badge

If 16-17-year-olds want adult rights, they should be given adult rights by making them adults, along with all adult responsibilities such as being sent to adult prisons, being held to adult contracts, losing all rights and protections of being children.

1. Adrian 4

This is a non-problem. It doesn't require any effort to fix. All you need do is put it on the backburner for a couple of years and voila! the person can vote. Problem solved.

3. inmypjs Silver badge

"without the votes from 16-17 year olds"

Bit late but

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIjUESuwqes

I rest my case

2. energystar
          Windows

without the votes from 16-17 year olds...

Those are the ones that will have to pull-up shirt sleeves and do the hard work.

1. inmypjs Silver badge

Re: without the votes from 16-17 year olds...

"Those are the ones that will have to pull-up shirt sleeves and do the hard work."

In a lot of the EU they are the ones looking at not doing any work for the next 7-8 years.

3. Imsimil Berati-Lahn

Having lead us up the strait of Messina to the waters directly between Scylla and Charybdis, our brave captain declared "It's all the fault of the helmsman!" and promptly abandoned ship as the rest of us were drawn into the maelstrom.

It's not just Cameron though. The whole bloody government should be tried for treason for putting the country in harms way like this.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I genuinely think thatwas what a significant minority thought, possibly because that is exactly how they have voted before and FPTP / constituency boundaries meant they felt that vote was either wasted or didn't actually affect the overall result.

4. Triggerfish

Some twat called Adam (BBC News) voted to leave but was shocked that the PM resigned and we are on the way out of the EU. He somehow thought his vote would not count. Why give adult decisions to idiots like him who don't understand how voting works?

Two people at work have literally given similar answers, you know how you are supposed to be polite to people at work, it was hard.

I could except if they voted leave (I was remain) for reasons thats democracy after all, but because they are fuckwits, and now they are having second thoughts, one even said I should have looked into it before voting, I find it somewhat unforgiveable.

1. Triggerfish

Yes before someone says it I wrote except not accept. Doh.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"I wrote except not accept"

Got that, but why did he say you should have looked into it?

2. Triggerfish

Daily Mash has been nailing it today with their articles though.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like