back to article Opera cries foul over Microsoft Edge power-slurping claims

Microsoft's claim that its Edge browser is the thriftiest with power has drawn a sharp response from rival browser biz Opera, who called for open testing to work out which app provides better battery life. Earlier this week, Microsoft released research which, it claims, shows that the Edge browser that comes with Windows 10 …

1. Dadmin
    Go

Let's go to the Opera!

Opera is the go to mobile browser for pr0n. The built-in and big-boy browsers are all too much buck, and not enough bang for your batts. It is known.

1. Preston Munchensonton
      Coat

Re: Let's go to the Opera!

Opera is the go to mobile browser for pr0n

"Small" and "viewing pr0n" aren't things that should be associated. Ever. At least, not until after the finish.

2. Ian Ringrose

Let them call foul….

Provided it makes all browser programmers think about power usage.

3. Steve Knox
    Trollface

Adblocker Quibble

"This test turned on an ad blocker, which is off by default."

Okay, let's re-run the test with Edge's native ad blocker on as well...

1. TheVogon

Re: Adblocker Quibble

"Okay, let's re-run the test with Edge's native ad blocker on as well"

"Tracking Protection Lists" is the native IE advert blocker and it's not available on Edge yet. Microsoft were conducting an entirely fair test - each browser was rendering the same content.

However Edge add-ons are now available including Adblock and Adblock Pro - and I suspect that using those Edge would still beat Opera...

"and specifically multiple active page / tab performance is more important"

Edge was the fastest browser at time of launch. I haven't seen any more recent benchmarks though.

1. Steve Knox

"Tracking Protection Lists" is the native IE advert blocker and it's not available on Edge yet.

Yes. That was my point. Opera was conducting an entirely fair test as well, showing how their browser with its better feature set could outperform Edge. In their test, each browser was rendering the same useful content-- Opera simply wasn't rendering the useless ad content.

As I have said in other discussions, when it comes down to it, it's about utility vs cost. Ads increase the cost of loading a web page, whilst providing no utility to the users.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Liking opera desktop.

They even have sveca tab to show you what the page looks like with and without as blocking and how much quicker it loads. This site is %70 quicker without adverts. One of the worst I found.

4. Jim-234

Sometimes power use is not important, performance and specifically multiple active page / tab performance is more important, especially if you are on a Desktop or connected up to AC power doing a lot of stuff at once.

1. Andy The Hat Silver badge

tabbed browsing

careful what you say ... Opera invented, innovated and drove a load of these features then, because they were loved by too many and management were stupid, they removed the more useful ones to the detriment of wider browser development and resulting in a load of their loyal user base defecting.

At least they're put power saving at the top of their list as Chrome is apparently so crap ... sorry? It's now based on the Chrome engine? Umm err ... well at least they must have polished around the edges to reduce power consumption ...

Opera was, but no longer is, a real challenge to the non-mobile market incumbents.

5. a_yank_lurker

Source

The problem is the Slurp "research" is basically a PR ploy and should be treated as form of false advertising. One point Slurp is overlooking is people are getting an OS for the browser.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft's test stinks like...

....a VW (et al) passing their Diesel cars off as clean... i.e. Fuel-on Rigged to give the answers M$ Execs want or expect to hear...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft's test stinks like...

Yup. But unlike VW, Microsoft has never really been challenged over their figures, and has been getting away with it for, what, 3 decades or so? If MS were to be fined for every time they and their lackeys abused statistics (as I have proven many times here), there would not have been any money for new purchases..

1. oldcoder

Re: Microsoft's test stinks like...

Oh, Microsoft has always been challenged...

The problem has always been that any benchmarks carried out by customers have been smothered in NDAs.

7. Howard Hanek
    Childcatcher

My Name is Different

I call the MS browser "The Edge of Oblivion"

8. energystar
    Pirate

Sorry Microsoft.

But Opera has better Engineers [and lighter agenda].

1. Anonymous Coward
      Meh

Re: Sorry Microsoft.

Have they fixed wildcard proxy exceptions yet?

9. Adrian Midgley 1

I liked Opera version 2 a lot...

Partly because of the features that were unlike MS and the early Netscape.

Some of those have crept back into Firefox.

10. BigbenNZ

Opera already has the edge on Edge regarding HTML5 speed tests.

1. TheVogon

"Opera already has the edge on Edge regarding HTML5 speed tests."

"Already" being since when for a browser that's 21 years old? Edge has been faster in every benchmark I have seen since Windows 10 went RTM.

11. Mr Dogshit

Meh

Opera lost the plot after version 12 when they dumped Presto. Their current offering sucks like a baby on a tit. Sadly.

1. Captain Badmouth

Re: Meh

True, very true. Shame.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like