back to article Edgier Edge pledge: TLS fledge no speed wedge, Redmond man said

Microsoft will speed up HTTPS encryption in its Edge browser with support for TLS 1.3 and performance extensions. Edge engineer Christian Huitema says the changes which also include support for TCP FastOpen will be introduced into the Preview edition of Edge. It means Redmond's new flagship browser will have the latest TLS …

1. Preston Munchensonton
    Thumb Down

Really?

A 250ms delay is enough to send users scurrying away? Really, it's not the exorbitant amount of bloated javascript used to power ads? Given the inordinate amount of javascript used by Bootstrap, JQuery, etc., combined with the stupid levels of client and server think-time, it's a wonder that most websites are visited at all. People really are sheep.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Really?

I wonder if they mean it's 250ms per external connection for each piece of remote content that's driving people away.

2. Alistair
    Coat

Really really long setup time

250ms.

Given that most folks can't determine how long a second is without a mechanical device, I doubt that it is a single 250ms wait that is the issue. But rather the 75 250ms waits for the 13 ad feed sites that need to reference 5 devops reference sites to pull down snippets of code. And then the minute and a half it takes to sort all that crap out and run it in something approaching order, then go fetch the actual crap content from all the ad streams. And we haven't actually gotten to the stuff we wanted to see in the FIRST damn place.

NoScript to the rescue.

3. Dadmin
    Pint

I did not read this article, but I will later

Just wanted to say amidst all our tragedies we can still have a laugh and enjoy what I come to love most about this place; UK-style rhyming headlines. You'd think once you see a "wacko jacko" that's it, none can be funnier, but then it keeps on going. That is all. Have a great day/weekend!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like