back to article Hackathons aren't just for hipsters

Glancing up from our smartphones, we catch sight of a world that has suddenly become almost entirely different. Surface appearances haven’t changed very much - buildings and cars and all that infrastructure - but behind the scenes nearly everything has been transformed. Everything … except for business practices. Those haven’t …

1. Peter Galbavy
    FAIL

Sounds more like a team-building plus intense training gig, not a hackathon. The latter is about solving problems and producing something that no one who starts the "weekend" (they can be a week long) knows the solutions to in advance. Having a bunch of fixed problems to solve is more the domain of the traditional paint-ball aggression management offsite painted in new livery.

"Get orf my land!"

2. Mark 85

Given the author of this is apparently a facilitator or somehow involved in hackathons, should this be consider publicity (as was his previous articles on this) for the new Agile/DevOps/teambuilding/mindbuilding etc. of the month?

In my career I went through a lot of these type of sessions. Come Monday morning... it's back to the grind and the good feelings quickly dissipate.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Latest management gimmick

* Hackathons can be useful in the game-world for creating prototypes that could go on to greater things. Any start-up with 10 people may see benefits too.

* But that sure leaves lots of Orgs in the middle that aren't going to see any benefit from this. (Just gurus selling the latest offsite motivational gimmick)...

* I've worked for just about every type of company / corporation there is on several continents. Treat me with a little respect (and pay me reasonably but not excessively), and I'll deliver for you.

* But that kind of honest (traditional) pact now seems all but dead. Seems sad to me.... But hey, maybe this is no biggie to recent grads...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Latest management gimmick

>Latest management gimmick

Yep. Hackathon usually means bad management is having to be bailed out by soon to be looking for a new company, developers.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Passing on knowledge? Yeah, right

"They're already passing on that knowledge, in conversations, in meetings, in strategic documents, and more"

Manager: Hey Hugo, how was the hackathon?

Success champion evangelist: Woah dude, was like totally rad and gnarly! We ate pizzas all night maaaan!

Manager: So learn any new skills you can teach the interns?

SCE: Like devo! You like stoked about Ruby? Its da shizz!

Manager: Oh, right, ok. Maybe we'll send you on an Oracle course next year instead.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Same old same old

The names change but the BS continues to flow.

I guess it's something to keep these people busy and which prevents them getting near any real things which they'd probably break.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon