back to article Google bows to Dutch

The Netherlands' privacy watchdog has given Google a clean bill of health in that country and terminated its action against the company. The Authority for Personal Data (DPA) has announced (in Dutch) that The Chocolate Factory has “terminated” the privacy violations that had the authority threatening fire and brimstone. The …

1. wsm

Which kind of privacy?

Do they keep enough information to identify me so they know I didn't agree to their terms? While I was browsing certain sites, when I was in a certain location using a certain device and connected to what network by what provider along with what others when I definitely said no, don't track me?

2. ratfox

What is "personal data"?

Everybody speaks of personal data, but I haven't found a single, useful, definition. I suspect Google and the regulators might not be using the same.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: What is "personal data"?

I would say that your research is limited then.

The European Data Protection Directive Defines what personal data is in Article 2.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What does this mean in relation to NL / EU / World Borders?

~ Can the rest of the world navigate to YouTube.nl, forgo the log-in, and not get slurped either?

~ How can anyone be sure as YouTube quickly redirects to YouTube.com anyway...?

~ Plus, what If the Dutch travel outside Holland but stay inside the EU (but no login), what then?

~ I suspect originating IP sets the master rules. So VPN'ers have the most control here.

~ But overall what do these rulings ever mean in practice... The US-NSA-Inc promises never to slurp US nationals. But when people take overseas holidays they get slurped anyway like dirty foreigners.

4. Sebastian A

Good start.

Now can we apply the same rules to Facebook and everyone else? I have adblocked the hell out of all their like/share buttons embedded all over the web but since you can quite reliably fingerprint a browser by version/OS/plugins/screen res I'm sure they've still got a pretty damn good idea of who I am and where I visit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon