back to article Cats understand the laws of physics, researchers claim

Using a plastic container, some magnets, three iron balls, two video cameras and 30 cats, researchers from Kyoto University have concluded that felines understand the laws of physics. The research paper titled There's no ball without noise: cats' prediction of an object from noise was published in Animal Cognition. Twenty-two …

Page:

1. Dadmin
    Holmes

I "proved" this back in 1974

I was a skinny young lad then, and we had a lovely white tabby female that would put up with kids doing stuff to her. So, I crafted a parachute and flung kitty off a 6' wall to the grass below and, low and behold, she righted herself, landed safely and gave me a dirty look while simultaneously escaping from the makeshift parachute! In hindsight we lacked a control group or other such double blind study, nor did I have any lovely grant monies with which to craft additional funny studies of cats and other fun creatures who are mostly indifferent. Also, ants die in fire. It is known.

1. Bob Vistakin
      Holmes

Re: I "proved" this back in 1974

What's the difference between "understanding" and "instinctively reacting due to evolutionary survival mutations"?

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: What's the difference between "understanding" and ...

none at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That would be the same as the difference between strong AI and weak AI. You only posit that it matters if your world view requires humans to be innately special and fundamentally different from all other things (and you know you'd get laughed at if you tried to invoke a God or a soul for that purpose.)

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Happy

What would the control group be? Dogs?

2. a_yank_lurker

Alternative Explanations

Did they account for cats have better hearing than humans? Also, cats are predators with very good vision and smell. Some prey animals may not be making much noise but moving.

I think Ig-Noble prize is appropriate for this "research".

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Alternative Explanations

No, this deserves to be forgotten.

Ig-Nobels are for good, yet surprising science. This is just bad - the results do not support the conclusion.

1. ian 22

Re: Alternative Explanations

Spot on. Anyone dropping a cat in a gravity field has noted their control of that gravity field. They *always* land on their paws! QED.

Unless the cat is dead (or is it alive?) or both. Dammed cats.

3. Mark 85
    WTF?

So they really just proved that cats are curious then?

Then there's the bit about "cat café". Is this were cat's eat or are they eaten?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Then there's the bit about "cat café". Is this were cat's eat or are they eaten?

Cat café.

2. muddysteve

No, because curiosity killed the cat, and no cats were harmed in this experiment.

Seriously, you are right - they proved that cats look at something you show them.

1. strum

>they proved that cats look at something you show them.

....because there might be food in there.

4. cd

Some human beings, who as a species routinely fail to land on their feet, suggest that an animal who nearly always lands on its feet is possibly able to comprehend a human concept called gravity. A human entity paid for this conclusion to be reached, and other people duly took that assignment and worked on proving it by using magnets and rattling cups and video cameras.

Meanwhile I'm unemployable because I'm not qualified and/or certified at anything.

1. Stoneshop
      Boffin

a human concept called gravity.

It's a physical property, one of the four fundamental interactions of nature, and the one that works over the greatest distance.

The human concept is calling it "gravity", "Mass times other mass times capital G over distance squared" would be more precise, but rather cumbersome.

This research also reveals that the researchers involved have had no fundamental interactions with cats before.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

"Meanwhile I'm unemployable because I'm not qualified and/or certified at anything"

Just to be sure, you're not a cat are you?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

"Meanwhile I'm unemployable because I'm not qualified and/or certified at anything"

Just to be sure, you're not a cat are you?

Sounds like a typical standard issue fatcat to me.

5. Blofeld's Cat
    Holmes

Hmm...

I am not surprised by these findings.

We used to house, feed and entertain* a cat that could determine the contents of a tin while either sleeping or stalking the local wildlife in the far reaches of the garden.

If the tin contained something it liked**, then the creature would be rubbing round your legs before the opener could dent the lid.

* Nobody ever really owns a cat.

** i.e. not cat food or peaches.

1. Kane
      Thumb Up

Re: Hmm...

"If the tin contained something it liked**, then the creature would be rubbing round your legs before the opener could dent the lid."

Obligatory Pratchett quote:

"Cats will amusingly tolerate humans only until someone comes up with a tin opener that can be operated with a paw."

2. JassMan
      Joke

I think the real answer where food in tins and cats are concerned, is that cats are telepathic and this is what they should have been testing, rather than whether gravity is affected by electromagnets. Our cat can be sound asleep in the most distant part of the house, and you only have to have the passing thought of "should I open the beef terrine or the fish in jelly for his next meal" and you find he has instantly teleported himself to his bowl and is making the special meow that means "give me my food now, and don't make those puny excuses about having to open the tin first"

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
        Joke

'I think the real answer where food in tins and cats are concerned, is that cats are telepathic and this is what they should have been testing, rather than whether gravity is affected by electromagnets. Our cat can be sound asleep in the most distant part of the house, and you only have to have the passing thought of "should I open the beef terrine or the fish in jelly for his next meal" and you find he has instantly teleported himself to his bowl and is making the special meow that means "give me my food now, and don't make those puny excuses about having to open the tin first"'

Alternatively, this is a quantum effect (all cats are Schrödinger cats, after all), and the cat tunnels to a convenient location, often right under your feet (convenient as in convenient for the cat), once the wave-function describing its brain has picked up the wave-function of the contents of the tin/whatever container the food is in. Maybe I could get some ERC funding for that

6. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: Not really understanding.

Similarly, I've been told that a sportsman like David Beckham can take advantage of some damned tricky physics and kick a ball so that it curves in mid flight. Its never been suggested to me that he understands that laws of physics that govern the flight of the ball, only that he has a damned good feel for it.

7. veti Silver badge

By "rudimentary understanding of gravity"...

... I gather they mean, "things fall down".

A more reasonable way of putting it would be that cats understand the concept of "containers". But I don't think that's news to anyone who's ever shared a home with a cat.

1. Stoneshop

Re: By "rudimentary understanding of gravity"...

cats understand the concept of "containers"

Ah, but do they also understand DevOps and Agile?

1. GrumpyWorld
        Linux

..almost certainly better than anyone else.

2. Anonymous Blowhard

"Ah, but do they also understand DevOps and Agile?"

They may not understand "Agile" but they're certainly more agile...

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cats are very Agile in their Devious Operations.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is all well and good

But the really important question I have is this: what the heck is a "Japanese cat cafe"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This is all well and good

It's like a starbucks except you get cat hair in your latte.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It's like a starbucks except you get cat hair in your latte."

Yes, but it is the extra protean that really matters.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Joke

I say, that really does sound like a drink obtainable in such an establishment:

"Hello, I'll have an "Extra Protean" please..."

2. IsJustabloke
      Meh

Not just Japanese....

http://ladydinahs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Lady-Dinah-Sample-Menu-Standard-Bookings.pdf

I understand from a friend there's quite a waiting list....

I go to a cafe to eat/drink in peace, if I want cat in my coffee I'll stay at home.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Pheline Physics

Quantum cats go beyond mere Newtonian physics when they're fully entangled.

1. TitterYeNot
      Coat

Re: Pheline Physics

"Quantum cats go beyond mere Newtonian physics when they're fully entangled"

That's because quantum cats also understand ball of string theory...

1. CanadianMacFan

Well they must understand higher order dimensions because I can't think of any other way they can fit in some of the places they get into.

2. MarkSitkowski

I think this was proved ages ago by Schrodinger - although he was never sure whether it was dead or alive...

2. Nixinkome

Birds have more densely interconnected brains meaning that these are more compact than those of land-dwellers. This helps with flight.

Cats catch birds.

Q.E.D.

[It's a nice miaouw that Quantum Cats make on projection. :) ]

10. Andy Mac

Straight out of Monty Python

"Tell me sir, have you confused your cat recently?"

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Schrodinger was right !

This "experiment" is conducted daily in millions of homes and is the direct proof that cats are quantic beings who can tunnel through walls and doors when in the mood.

Experimental set up: One cat, One human, One (not empty) box of dry cat food, One empty box

Process1: Human shakes box of cat food while cat is securely locked outside the house

Result1: Cat tunnels, often destructively through all matter separating it from the food box.

Process2: Human shakes empty box in front of cat.

Result2: Cat barely tunrns head and gives human "stare of death" which means "Don't waste my time slave, Get your fat ass off the couch and go buy another box of kitteh food*" (*approximate translation)

Conclusion: Japanese scientists never had cats !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Schrodinger was right !

In this case you have also "proven" that cats understand commerce.

12. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"This study may be viewed as evidence for cats having a rudimentary understanding of gravity."

No, it may not.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Agreed. Any sentient creature that doesn't learn that event type B tends to follow event type A isn't going to survive long enough to procreate. As much as I love both science and cats, this doesn't sound like great science to me, and the conclusion is rather over-stretching it IMO.. Interesting first attempt, go back and think of a better experiment with a larger sample of test subjects!

13. Alister

Sometimes, you really wish that researchers could be punished by having to pay back all their grant money.

This is such a "No shit, Sherlock" result. I suggest that most mammals have sufficient reasoning power to work out that one thing leads to another, and that a box which makes a noise might be of interest. Any animal will be curious about a silly human waving something around - after all, instinct tells them it may contain food!

You could repeat the same experiment with new-born babies, and would probably see similar results, but I doubt anyone would try to extrapolate from that that the infants have a deep understanding of physics.

14. Stoneshop
    Thumb Up

"This study may be viewed as evidence for cats having a rudimentary understanding of gravity."

One of our cats has a perfect understanding of gravity. She has even figured ways to thumb* her nose at it.

* Non-opposable, which she probably regrets, but which in the long run is quite likely better for all involved.

15. CAPS LOCK

Cats know about the laws of gravity...

...they don't think that the laws apply to them: https://pics.onsizzle.com/Facebook-409338.png

1. John G Imrie

Re: Cats know about the laws of gravity...

Cat's remember that we worshipped them as gods, no laws apply to them.

1. Vinyl-Junkie
        Headmaster

Re: Cats know about the laws of gravity...

"Cat's remember that we worshipped them as gods, no laws apply to them."

Including, it appears, the rules regarding the use of the apostrophe...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Rol

You don't want to it like that, you want to do it like this.

Get one see-saw and lead access tunnels from the points the see-saw would touch the ground, if unbalanced, to a central space where a cat can see both ends no matter how the see-saw is balanced.

The point at which the cat can enter the routes has a door which closes once the see-saw starts to move.

The cat has to anticipate which side of the see-saw is going to drop to ground level and thus be accessible via the tunnel.

After acclimatising the cat to the scenario place a mouse on one side and a baby rabbit on the other.

If the cat understands gravity, then the baby rabbit will get Elmer Fudded.

This assumes cats have no preference to mice over baby rabbits, which from real world observations, seems to be the case.

can I have my £50,000 grant paid in beer tokens for simplicities sake.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The other day I was observing small children playing pinball for the first time.

They seemed to have a poorer grasp of physics than these cats.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like