back to article Boffins decipher manual for 2,000-year-old Ancient Greek computer

Scientists have examined hitherto-obscure inscriptions on the Antikythera Mechanism, a first century BC apparatus comprised of interlocking gears, and now believe the device could predict eclipses and the motion of the planets. The Antikythera Mechanism is a scientific and archaeological marvel, because nothing else like it …

Page:

1. NomNomNom

"the device was found on the sea bed near the Greek island of Antikythera"

So they found it near an island of the same name? What are the odds. This is why I don't trust official histories

1. BillG
      IT Angle

Boffins decipher manual for 2,000-year-old Ancient Greek computer

"O.K., Robert, you've been working on translating the first page, what does it say?"

"This Page Intentionally Left Blank"

1. Stoneshop
        Coat

Re: Boffins decipher manual for 2,000-year-old Ancient Greek computer

πνευματικών 183 προ Χριστού όλα τα δικαιώματα κατοχυρωμένα δικαιωμάτων διεθνείς επιχειρηματικές μηχάνημα.

(pnevmatikón 183 pro Christoú óla ta dikaiómata katochyroména diethneís epicheirimatikés michánima)

1. energystar
          Angel

Please translate.

1. paulc

*/ This works, but we don't know why /*

2. Stoneshop
            Headmaster

Please translate

авторское право 183 BC международная торговая машина

You didn't specify what language it needed to be translated into.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time.

3. Mark 85
            Trollface

Hey, we're all supposed to be IT giants and know how to use Google Translate.

4. lleres

It's a (rather poor) google translation of the 'all rights reserved' notice from english. The poster is making a joke that the mechanism contains a trademark notice on the front page.

2. illiad

dont you know google can translate it??? https://translate.google.com/#auto

or most *better* browsers already have that function, or can use an addon.. :)

3. lagi

Translation:

Copyright 183 BC All Rights Reserved International business machines.

So they also predicted the Birth of Christ.

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Google Translate tells me this says:

Copyright 183 BC All Rights Reserved Rights International Business Machine

I suspect there is a slight error though as it seems more like a SUN machine.

1. Stoneshop
            Boffin

And then someone considered these instructions a fine basis for developing APL.

1. Graham Marsden
              Coat

"If it stops working, try turning it off and back on again..."

2. fidodogbreath

"Η επιβίωση των Angry Birds είναι σε κίνδυνο. Πιάτο έξω εκδίκηση από τους άπληστους χοίρων που έκλεψαν τα αυγά τους."

The survival of the Angry Birds is at stake. Dish out revenge on the greedy pigs who stole their eggs.

2. asdf

Three body problem

From what I understand we think the machine was incredibly well, well machined and intricate but remember hearing something like the machine operation is more accurate than the math underlining it, with the net effect the device is often inaccurate but not due to mechanical reasons or tolerances. A case of the theoretical not keeping up with the experimental. I guess not a surprise as there would be no Mr. Newton for another millennium and a half plus.

2. frobnicate
    Angel

Does it start with

/* XXX fix this hack in the next release. -- Gnaeus. */ ?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Christoph

Re: Does it start with

In that same alternate history the Gauls continued development of their harvesting machine, releasing peasants from the land to help develop the new technologies.

1. fran 2

Don't forget Asterix, he held out against the Romans

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Don't forget Asterix, he held out against the Romans

And his mate Hashtag

2. energystar
            Angel

Don't forget Asterix...

Never :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix

3. AndrueC Silver badge
            Joke

Don't forget Asterix, he held out against the Romans

Something they found very gaulling.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

While is true Romans didn't care much about not applied sciences, it also true they never did much to hinder them in Greece, Egypt and other countries. Actually Julius Caesar and other leaders used Hellenistic scientist whenever they needed. In Rome, Greeks were highly regarded in professions like medicine, and not only. Romans did care about technological progress as long as it was useful for their aims. Roman engineering was fairly advanced.

Actually, it was the "new" monotheistic religions, Christianity first and Islam later, which, having that strange idea of the "holy book where everything true is written from god's advice, and everything not written is false, dangerous an demoniac" started to destroy everything that could "prove" the book was "false" (you still find some in US and Middle East...)

Later both, once power was conquered, understood some sciences could also be useful (as long as carefully controlled to avoid they could used against the power itself), but just after doing a lot of damage.

1. Bob Dole (tm)

>>Actually, it was the "new" monotheistic religions, ..

I wonder if, in say 10,000 years, people will look back on the time period we are currently living in and call it the Dark Ages.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

After some excavations in Kansas, probably...

2. Tomas Metcalfe

Probably, given the way humans treat each other and the planet. It's barbaric to say the least.

3. Tom 7

Its seems this may have been made by Archimedes who was indeed killed by the romans, Though not 'intentionally'.

However I'm still at a loss to discover why he was called 'Top Thinker' from birth!

1. Stoneshop
          Pint

made by Archimedes

Ah, he of Acorn Computers and ARM.

(computer chips, when submerged in beer, are subject to an upwards force equal to the weight of the displaced beer volume)

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"However I'm still at a loss to discover why he was called 'Top Thinker' from birth!"

He invented a time machine, came back once to change his own name, and came back a second time as a Roman soldier to dispose of the evidence.

3. Forget It
    Joke

Is still in Beta?

1. TRT Silver badge

Prototype?

Now according to this we should be... at least 1200 yards away from Antikythera's underwater rock of doom. See? *rubbing hands* Oh ho! This is going to revolutionise maritime navigation. This time next year Rhodes.

1. energystar
        Trollface

Re: Prototype?

No, leaved on SysOps hands.

[Neither there were 'Clouds' on sight.]

4. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
    Coat

In other words, a user manual.

Sounds more like online help to me...

1. Tom 7

Re: In other words, a user manual.

Have you tried re-booting it over the side?

5. hammarbtyp

Its the first EULA

By opening this box you surrender your legal rights to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display this device...

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Its the first EULA

Ah, the voyage of EULAscees

6. Alan Bourke

WWDC 2107

Microsoft Antikythera

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: WWDC 2107

Microsoft Antikythera

No, this device showed signs it may have actually worked.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wait for tim

To claim it was from Job's first incarnation on earth, behold the i-navigator

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Re: Wait for tim

"I told you that you weren't holdng it right. Now you jump in and fetch it.

2. Naughtyhorse

Re: Wait for tim

well those corners do look quite rounded to me.....

3. G.Y.

Jobs'

!

Job was someone else; Job control language was invented to torment him (&others)

8. Stevie

Bah!

Nothing like it? Rubbish! Worrabout Stonehenge? Bigger, tougher and based on advanced Flash* technology so no moving parts.

Less portable, of course, but that can be said about anything made in Britain.

* of Sunlight

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

"Less portable, of course, but that can be said about anything made in Britain."

Reminds me of a cartoon strip in the 1970s**. Probably "B.C." which was set in the Stone Age - and a recurring*** theme was about useless inventions like "the wheel".

One invention was a neat device for your wrist which presaged the current smart watches. As the inventor then pointed out - the extremely large battery was also necessary.

** looking up an explanatory link - it is a surprise to find the cartoons are still running.

http://johnhartstudios.com/bc/

*** another theme was dictionary definitions like:

"Recursion" - see "recursion".

1. Mephistro
        Thumb Up

Re: Bah! (@ AC)

"http://johnhartstudios.com/bc/"

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!! for that link. I still own a few Wizard of Id booklets, that I purchased when I was a teen, and still re-read occasionally.

Absolutely side-splitting, those comics!

1. VinceH
          Pint

Re: Bah! (@ AC)

"THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!! for that link."

Indeed. Now added to my feed. That AC deserves many of these -->

2. Alister

Worrabout Stonehenge? Bigger, tougher and based on advanced Flash* technology so no moving parts.

A triumph of silicon chunk technology!

(With apologies to Sir pTerry)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

But it's still based on Twig TechnologyTM.

3. Naughtyhorse

Huge maintenance costs....

every bloody leap year

4. ICPurvis47

Must have been made by good old BTH* (Big, Thick, and Heavy).

* British Thomson Houston, later Allied Electrical Industries (AEI), and then General Electric Company (GEC) before being subsumed by the french Alst(h)om Group (Bah!!!)

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon