back to article Xerox lays out BPO breakup plan

Xerox has detailed the plans that will see the legendary compute company split itself into two different branches. The former photocopy king says that it has named Ashok Vemuri as the CEO of what will become the Xerox Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) company. "Ashok's deep industry experience and proven track record of …

1. Dwarf
    Coat

The trouble is ...

That Xerox never come up with anything original.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: The trouble is ...

Actually, they have but the PHBs running Xerox could not figure out how to market almost all their good ideas. Sort of like Kodak and digital photography; invented by Kodak and it killed Kodak.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Having business types who know the square root of bugger all about technology running technology companies never ends well. John Sculley, Steve Balmer. Need I say more.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

@boltar

Not so sure about that. I think Lou Gerstner did pretty well with IBM. Good bosses are generally good in whichever domain they work in because they work out which people to listen to.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

I think your detector of limey irony is faulty.

2. Howard Hanek

How the Once Mighty Are Fallen

Do todays IT people even KNOW anything about Xerox Palo Alto and their contributions?

Doesn't sound like it.

1. Mark 85

Re: How the Once Mighty Are Fallen

I'm not sure Xerox remembers that.

3. Cameron Colley

Pstt, it's Ursula Burns (as in Mr.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_Burns

4. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

I still kind of like Xerox.

HP "We've got a woman CEO."

Xerox "So did we, now we have another one. But she's busy doing business."

And of course Xerox did not buy Autonomy, although I'm not sure if they were offered it.

But they didn't buy it.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So mergers are out, splits are in

Seems CEOs used to want to buy up companies. Now its break them up (Hello HP). How about they just try f**king run what they have properly in the first place? Seems its just another product of the "We must do something, this is something easy and looks good on the CV, lets do it" school of management.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: So mergers are out, splits are in

Actually the current trend is merge and demerge as exemplified by the Dow and Dupont deal but also with Dell and EMC. This is the most tax efficient way of reducing competition in the relevant sectors: less competition means higher profits.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like